Corner walls spacer not 90 degrees?

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Corner walls spacer not 90 degrees?

Post by Oldent » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:05 am

koraldon wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:02 am
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems this issue is not a buggy piece but a design issue- so no need to go to customer support.
It would be nice to have a list of all the problem-prone pieces, just to give a heads up to ppl. NiandoBG photos are impressive.

I really the small castle collection I have, but this collections seems to be relatively rich with problems, which is a shame. It does looks awesome on the table if you don’t nitpick.

As I have the old gatehouse and the new CaC postern gate, there are some improvements- the new bridge holder has two holes instead of one, the trap door seems better sized and so on. Also lucky there is not a significant change in color between them.

Regarding the gate doors, any tips on putting them in without bending the PVC pins?
The short answer with out editorial.
Cut them off and replace them with wire pins. A paper clip is a good source for pins.

Most of the time the Plastic pins are ok, When they fail replace them with metal.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by koraldon » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:02 am

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems this issue is not a buggy piece but a design issue- so no need to go to customer support.
It would be nice to have a list of all the problem-prone pieces, just to give a heads up to ppl. NiandoBG photos are impressive.

I really the small castle collection I have, but this collections seems to be relatively rich with problems, which is a shame. It does looks awesome on the table if you don’t nitpick.

As I have the old gatehouse and the new CaC postern gate, there are some improvements- the new bridge holder has two holes instead of one, the trap door seems better sized and so on. Also lucky there is not a significant change in color between them.

Regarding the gate doors, any tips on putting them in without bending the PVC pins?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 am

The gap between what I get and what I want is anything but small.

I do not think I can fill that gap.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:29 am

It is fair to say that this piece could be better, it could actually be 90 degrees :lol:

There are levels of QC that DF should examine from the factory, they probably already have.

It is something that hopefully they take on board with any new sculpts that require this precision.

Not tried to 'straighten' Dwarvenite-G but given it is a lot more rigid than Dwarvenite we suspect it is a little harder. Might require some of Oldents dimensional Clamps!

For us it is not an issue, it performs its function and remember this is modular and unless you want some clipping mechanism on your Dwarvenite your always going to get gaps, just hopefully small ones, really small ones.

For those that this is a problem we hope that the bag water treatment does the job :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Post by electricmotorcycles » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:42 am

if you want them warm but not boiling you could put them in a glass container like that with the lid in the sun should get 120-160F, warmer if you place a black sheet of paper on the bottom of the bowl.

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Post by electricmotorcycles » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:37 am

to be fair 90 degrees is hot! so it should be avoided ;) be thankful they gave you only 89 degrees. they are also helping you lose weight since it is now less than half a pie

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:41 pm

Yeah, sometimes DF has to pay more attention to the manufacturing limitations and design pieces that are not going to have trouble. I agree their 90 degree pieces have had a lot of trouble. Especially when the 90 degree pieces need a lot of precision.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Saxon1974 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:30 pm
Talistran wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:07 pm
MrMorden wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:10 pm
Just keep in mind the issue is probably not with DF, but environmental in nature. The molds are almost certainly 90 degrees, as are the pieces as they come out of those molds.

But once they are molded, the rate of cooling at the factory, whether they are resting up against other pieces, and heat/cooling cycles in cargo containers moving around the Earth can all cause warping.

Could all of this be corrected? Probably. The question becomes: how much are you willing to pay for that? To take out all those factors --climate control the factory, ship every piece with full rigid supports, etc, would probably add 20% to an already expensive product. That would cause far more anger than occasionally having to soak a piece in hot water.

These are essentially plastic toy parts and not medical grade, clean room produced precision items. We need to manage our expectations accordingly. Especially since DF is very willing to replace grossly warped parts.
A fair thought.

Another fair thought is that this individual piece is problematic, is not easily fixable in a hot water bath, and it is ok for someone to note unhappiness with a problem.
Not sure how I feel about this; could be some truth to it however I wouldn't think multiple people would have the exact same issue. A few occurrences I think could be post production and environment related but I have had enough issues with corners and 90 degree angles with DF to think it's more than just those aspects.
individual peace meaning not the individual with this individual problem. But that individual piece has the same problem across the board. I have dozens of them and they all have the same problem.

It is a fair point, this piece is screwed up

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:15 pm

This is also a learning curve for DF - remember when the flat 4x6 floor was a seeming impossibility

They started by manually cooling in a water bath to improve some of those issues

KS6 unboxing shows spacers in the doorways

they are figuring it out as they go along - but they keep improving

of course then they push the envelope into new areas of uncertainty ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Yep, if you boil anything with magnets or other metal (or *gulp* electronics...), be sure to put the pieces in a sealed bag first so no water gets in.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”