"Quoi?"

"FETCHEZ LA VACHE!"

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Photos - Runic Theme

Post by William » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:58 am

[quote="Oldent"]Image

I just based these four from the Medieval Mayhem KS, but they are in "tease" mode. Love them...
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 am

Unless he was also making ruined versions of his beautiful castles...

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:29 am

The same way you dont have castles if the other guy has seige weapons.

Why would Stefan make something to destroy his beautiful castles?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:12 am

How could you have castles without siege weapons? ;-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:58 am

That wasn't really a bean, it was in a video. I confirm nothing! ;)

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:47 am

Geekjeff I knew that dang catapult was going to be in the pledge manager. That is both awesome and painful. I want that catapult but dang what do I swap out for it? I hope it is not too expensive. There is just too much awesome to chose from.

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Kryzsko wrote:I was looking forward more to the gargoyle and lion packs as I was assuming they would be a little more subtle, but even with those there is no way I was getting a mega pack. If they do have mini/sample packs on the pledge manager I will likely get one of each if my budget allows.
+1

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Some of the great things which come from DF (and Reaper, and others) from Kickstarter wouldn't just take 3-5 times longer to come about, they would not get produced at all even by an established company.

If you're sinking $10k of risk capital into mold tooling, you want to go with a design that's a pretty safe return on investment and will sell 20k or 50k or whatever pieces.

When you get an infusion of 2 million-ish advance dollars from your customer-patrons, you can afford to make a few of those expensive molds for cool things that might only ever sell maybe a couple hundred or thousand units, like gargoyle spire toppers with light-up eyes or nifty, tiny working catapults.

Or, Reaper can afford to make molds for giant five headed dragon sculptures when the production costs get bundled in with the molds for thousands of $100 base figure sets.

The point being, the Kickstarter scale of investment for established companies allows things to be created which would be a total non-starter for an otherwise same small business to attempt.
Last edited by geekjeff on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:00 pm

JChunick That is what I love about KS. It allows companies to get the capital before they make the product rather than have stuff made and hope someone wants to buy it. I know some people like to complain companies like Reaper or Cool Mini of Not are using KS as a preorder system and that they don't "need" to use KS, and that is ridiculous in my opinion. They are making new products and that is always risky, and all these companies are rather small in the grand scheme of things, and it would be difficult for they to come up with the capital to put out as much product as they do each year without KS. So ya, if you want these little companies like Dwarven Forge to keep making the stuff you like then definitely keep backing their projects and encourage others to do the same.

Now as the buyer we have to be careful with companies that don't have the track record of a companies like DF, because it does shift the risk to the buyer. I myself have been burned twice, one of which I think was just a staight up con from a company that looked legit (Campfire in a Can if you want to look it up), and the other was just incompetent business management. I am much more cautious with what I back now. I never back technology (too many things can go wrong), or stuff from people with no track record (need to have fulfilled another KS or have a currently successful business). When in doubt don't back. That sounds harsh but backers have to protect themselves, because you have little to no recourse is the project fails to deliver.

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”