Ramparts Improvement Suggestion

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Re: Ramparts Improvement Suggestion

Post by Mobius » Fri May 13, 2016 3:36 pm

I 100% agree with Koraldon, and I had noticed the same thing.

I was originally going to get: a Watchtower, a Ramparts and some add-ons. The Ramparts would have given me an introduction to the KS4 walls.
Because of the huge price difference between Gatehouse and Ramparts, I instead moved to: a Watchtower, a Gatehouse and more add-ons.

Ramparts could have been a good introduction to start people on Castle building, but in my case that weird Ramparts pricing jump encouraged me instead to use the Gatehouse with my existing KS3 walls.

koraldon
Orc
Orc

Post by koraldon » Fri May 13, 2016 10:16 am

geekjeff wrote:If you don't care for them, then as you note you are free to buy everything a la carte. I think you could actually build just about any Expert or Preconfigured pledge totally a la carte this time, although it would as expected cost more than buying the bigger sets.
Not true, at least for the ramparts and castle pledges, which can be bought cheaper in pieces rather than as a package. Not sure about the citadel/ GC but they are out of my budget in any case...
Anyway, free stretch goals should be as they are titled - free.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Fri May 13, 2016 8:26 am

Stretch goals have a cost that gets factored into the pledge, every pledge level has a stretch goal cost factored in. This is the same for every Kickstarter which doesn't cause its creator to lose their pants or fail on fulfillment. There's no such thing as a free lunch, as the saying goes.

If you want those stretch goals and the other pieces, that $47/67 is still a great value - the closest you can come to buying Stretch Goals as a pack is 1 each of Siege Defense, Siege Equip, Flags & Gargoyles, and Chromatic Orbs. Gives you very close to 2 sets of stretch goals for $139 unpainted (some differences - you get Mantlets & Greek Fire Projectors, 2 extra or orbs, 2 extra ladders, some extra Gaygoyles, but fewer flags and lose a stair & elevation half block. But it's close.)

So a "Stretch Goals" pack costs roughly $70 (half of $139.) if you value those pieces, the extra cost factored into the Ramparts is a deal.

If you don't care for them, then as you note you are free to buy everything a la carte. I think you could actually build just about any Expert or Preconfigured pledge totally a la carte this time, although it would as expected cost more than buying the bigger sets.

koraldon
Orc
Orc

Post by koraldon » Fri May 13, 2016 2:18 am

Talistran wrote:I think the point of the OP's post that resonates with me most is that the Rampart is a bad value compared to the Castle, Citadel, and GC. The SG's basically COST you $67 with this pledge, because you can get the other components for $67 less than the Rampart pledge through Add ons. Although to be fair, you'd have to add the $20 "Add On" base pledge.

Which makes the SG's only cost $47 if the ONLY thing you buy is the Rampart pieces.

I disagree that the corners should be swapped out. I just doubt many people are going to order the Ramparts IF they bother to look at the poor valuation.
Exactly,
Just that if I buy gatehouse and walls I save 67$, no need for the add-on pledge.
The point is not to buy extra add ons, but to make ramparts a reasonable value pledge.

Swapping in corners still retains the ramparts crenalitions add on, but not the inner walls add on. As I said, probably too late to change, but the current pricing is frustrating.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Fri May 13, 2016 2:10 am

I think the point of the OP's post that resonates with me most is that the Rampart is a bad value compared to the Castle, Citadel, and GC. The SG's basically COST you $67 with this pledge, because you can get the other components for $67 less than the Rampart pledge through Add ons. Although to be fair, you'd have to add the $20 "Add On" base pledge.

Which makes the SG's only cost $47 if the ONLY thing you buy is the Rampart pieces.

I disagree that the corners should be swapped out. I just doubt many people are going to order the Ramparts IF they bother to look at the poor valuation.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu May 12, 2016 11:06 pm

Cube spacers might look nice there too.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Thu May 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Elevation Half Blocks should fill the ends of Ramparts walls pretty cleanly and effectively. You get one of those as a stretch goal, they are expensive to get more of though.

The 4 pack of Wall Spacers is only 17 bucks unpainted, and you could use those. Either double stack the ones inside that end wall, or stand them upright on the ends.

StevenO
Goblin
Goblin

Post by StevenO » Thu May 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Are you just asking for something to "cap" a wall so that is runs straight and then ends or an actual corner as they currently exist?

I too think that some kind of "mini wall" to put on the wall spacer and close the end would have been nice but putting full corners it would really change the makeup of things.

koraldon
Orc
Orc

Ramparts Improvement Suggestion

Post by koraldon » Thu May 12, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi,
It might be too late for it, but I had some brainstorming with myself, the main topic being the ramparts - Currently it is 67$ more expensive to get the ramparts than to get the parts (gatehouse+ straight walls), painted. Of course you get the SG with the ramparts...

So the thought I had to remedy this, is to "upgrade the ramparts a little bit and convert the ends of the wall into corners - this makes it more fun at the table (looks better IMO to have an end to the wall) and much more flexible with add-ons. And of course the value is sane now (85+90+78/2= 214USD and can skip the inner corner for the ramparts).
It can make the ramparts also useful for those picking up the GC as a second courtyard/front wall.

So what do you think?
p.s. I know it is too late in the process, but this is the result of my "headache" for not picking up a basic pledge this KS as it seems cheaper just to pick up add-ons...

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”