Stefan assembles Royal Stronghold

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Stefan assembles Royal Stronghold

Post by bernyleung » Thu May 04, 2017 8:29 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:03 pm
Somewhat of a repeat...I also concluded the GC courtyard is waaay too small for that kind of detail, Berny. I upped the ante to 24" x 24" inside courtyard diameter...but I also have a boatload of KS3 narrow passage/crenellations, enough for about 36 x36 tiles (72" x 72")...this was intended to be an outer village wall, but I can obviously use it ofr part of a castle.

I'm leaving double thick out for now, but my allowance gives me a smaller castle with double-high. Using the KKS3 'castle' stuff I can easily do double high in most places, and still have two towers and sheds etc inside the castle courtyard.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WOW! You bought 12 packs each of the Narrow Passage and Crenellations? I only have 3 each, but good enough for a partial fortified village wall or maybe a small fortified temple or military outpost.

I'll probably have enough KS4 walls to do a regular double-high double-thick GC with 4 corner towers, but it would look like an all-wall build with a teensy courtyard, which is kinda wacky. Visually, kind of like a fortified tennis court.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu May 04, 2017 3:49 pm

I would love to see some pics of how this stuff (and past DF stuff) looks in a 15mm scale environment, TLW, if you have time.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu May 04, 2017 3:04 pm

BaneofHumanity wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:28 pm
So it would take what....10 strongholds to make castle ravenloft...
This was my problem...largely solved b/c I game almost exclusively in 15mm, so the space available is four times larger (in scale) than in 25mm.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu May 04, 2017 3:03 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 11:05 am
Even with the GC, I realized the courtyard was way too small if I wanted to build a real fortress with a variety of inner buildings (stable, keep/donjon, temple, barracks), so my biggest courtyard variant will be about quadruple the area. My next project, which will have DF extracting money from me for years, would be to go double-thick and double-high on the walls (right now have double-thick).

Somewhat of a repeat...I also concluded the GC courtyard is waaay too small for that kind of detail, Berny. I upped the ante to 24" x 24" inside courtyard diameter...but I also have a boatload of KS3 narrow passage/crenellations, enough for about 36 x36 tiles (72" x 72")...this was intended to be an outer village wall, but I can obviously use it ofr part of a castle.

I'm leaving double thick out for now, but my allowance gives me a smaller castle with double-high. Using the KKS3 'castle' stuff I can easily do double high in most places, and still have two towers and sheds etc inside the castle courtyard.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu May 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Law wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 am
I can't figure things out properly until
I have the stuff in front of me. I am still trying to work out how to do my planned primary variation - a castle with no outer wall, just a large single building adorned with towers etc. It may require a lot of double thick walls (which are one of the few sets I passed on!) or some kind of elevation support for a courtyard floor. But I do like the idea.

To be fair, my interest in that dipped a bit when these videos launched. Seeing the interior courtyard with its hidden corners and stairwells and so on - it's so amazing, I'm less taken by the idea of losing the outside walls.

I may try some kind of compromise - not an outer wall, but not just a flat roof either. Something with some varied elevation at the top, smaller walls around a rooftop courtyard. Hmmmm.....

I made my plans for castles allowing for the rather large number of narrow passage/crenellation sets I bought 144, IIRC). I can do a curtain wall 72" x 72" square, so I can put a castle inside a six foot curtain wall or have the village inside that boundary and use one wall as a back castle wall.

Recall that my objective was a castle/village big enough to do a whole adventure in, with sublevels.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

BaneofHumanity
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BaneofHumanity » Thu May 04, 2017 2:28 pm

So it would take what....10 strongholds to make castle ravenloft...
6 Billion cries of agony, will birth a new balance.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Thu May 04, 2017 12:42 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 11:05 am
Even with the GC, I realized the courtyard was way too small if I wanted to build a real fortress with a variety of inner buildings (stable, keep/donjon, temple, barracks), so my biggest courtyard variant will be about quadruple the area. My next project, which will have DF extracting money from me for years, would be to go double-thick and double-high on the walls (right now have double-thick).
That proportion would look the most realistic at 28mm scale. That puts walls at close to 40 feet high, though maybe a little too thick at the top. It would take a very large layout to fit other things in too. If I had the funds and space I'd want enough to make this kind of castle too.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu May 04, 2017 11:05 am

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 am

I can't figure things out properly until
I have the stuff in front of me. I am still trying to work out how to do my planned primary variation - a castle with no outer wall, just a large single building adorned with towers etc. It may require a lot of double thick walls (which are one of the few sets I passed on!) or some kind of elevation support for a courtyard floor. But I do like the idea.

To be fair, my interest in that dipped a bit when these videos launched. Seeing the interior courtyard with its hidden corners and stairwells and so on - it's so amazing, I'm less taken by the idea of losing the outside walls.

I may try some kind of compromise - not an outer wall, but not just a flat roof either. Something with some varied elevation at the top, smaller walls around a rooftop courtyard. Hmmmm.....

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu May 04, 2017 12:25 am

LadySabelle wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:34 pm
GODofwar wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 pm
KS4 is so complex I nearly gave up trying to figure my order out.

Immense amount of variety, and almost infinite ability to customize.

For me, the principal value of KS4 - and my planning criteria were based entirely on these - was the ability to build a detailed interior which, combined with dungeons beneath and caverns beneath that, coul dhouse an entire adventure.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
My husband's excel spreadsheet helped me a lot when planning my KS4 pledge but it is a bit difficult to account for the many levels in a single 2D map. If I tried to add dungeons and caverns, I think my head would explode. So if you've got a plan in mind for all of that...No, I won't imagine it! It is too much.
Actually, not that hard. Old school, though.

I make a simple map on graph paper, either 1 square = 2" or 1 equals 4", depending.

That is the 'ground level'.

The ground level has marks allowing overlays to be indexed to it.

Then I use plastic sheets - usuall page protectors so they don't move too much - for each level UP. If there are two or more I use different colors for the outline, so I can tell even when stacked what level they are.

For DOWN levels, the same but I never put them on with the UP levels. I usually have three down levels - Dungeon, Sewer and Caverns.

Hope this at least sparks ideas.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”