Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Castle Builds

Post by GODofwar » Sun May 07, 2017 10:52 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 9:54 pm
Stormfury wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 9:20 pm

This was one of the things (maybe the only thing) that I thought was handled rather poorly. Something like a Portcullis is pretty standard to a castle, yet we had to add an expensive add-on for it. I really only wanted 3-4 pieces from that add-on but ended up buying it primarily for the portcullis. While I appreciate others may have wanted the other pieces. Forcing us to buy the add-on for the portcullis felt a bit money grab. It should have been included in the base gatehouse IMO, even if a stretch goal.

Seems a lot of folks are confused/unhappy to not have gotten one.
From conversations with Nate, I don't think it was a money thing at all but rather a matter of not wanting to include a piece that didn't work as intended in a given set. "What do I do with this piece? I have to take apart my gatehouse, slot it in, then reassamble? Then reverse the whole process?" Whereas with the Upgrade addon it works elegantly as intended. When they were planning out the Mega Battlements I suggested including it since it has a murderhole floor, but since there's not enough vertical clearance to use a portcullis properly there it was a no go.

I agree it would be nice if there was another way to obtain them. I'm gonna end up with 2 Gatehouses and only 1 Portcullis myself when it all arrives. Have to figure something out.
Unlike my usual pencil-whipping I did not calculate KS-4 to a gnat's butt...I needed to order a special kit to get the portcullis???

The Least Weasel
Totus KS delenda sunt
WeaselWarGod

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sun May 07, 2017 9:54 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 9:20 pm

This was one of the things (maybe the only thing) that I thought was handled rather poorly. Something like a Portcullis is pretty standard to a castle, yet we had to add an expensive add-on for it. I really only wanted 3-4 pieces from that add-on but ended up buying it primarily for the portcullis. While I appreciate others may have wanted the other pieces. Forcing us to buy the add-on for the portcullis felt a bit money grab. It should have been included in the base gatehouse IMO, even if a stretch goal.

From conversations with Nate, I don't think it was a money thing at all but rather a matter of not wanting to include a piece that didn't work as intended in a given set. "What do I do with this piece? I have to take apart my gatehouse, slot it in, then reassamble? Then reverse the whole process?" Whereas with the Upgrade addon it works elegantly as intended. When they were planning out the Mega Battlements I suggested including it since it has a murderhole floor, but since there's not enough vertical clearance to use a portcullis properly there it was a no go.

I agree it would be nice if there was another way to obtain them. I'm gonna end up with 2 Gatehouses and only 1 Portcullis myself when it all arrives. Have to figure something out.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Sun May 07, 2017 9:20 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 am
Richard 0208 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am
Does anyone know if we actually get a portcullis with the gatehouse? A portcullis appears in most of the DF pictures and videos but do we get one?
The Portcullis piece only comes with the Drawbridge Upgrade addons (both manual and motorized) which also includes the chains and winch.

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun May 07, 2017 7:32 pm

Nice cityscape! I noticed the covered wagon from Monster Menagerie II....

ChicagoBart
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ChicagoBart » Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm

So this time, I used the castle, one tower (well, half anyway) and parapet with 4" tower as the backdrop for a city market. Also threw down about everything I own in the way of streets and City Builder.

Wide shot, showing the whole table.

(A wide shot over the roofs)

"Stop with that filthy drivel, heretic! Pedal your foul words elsewhere!"
(Just to show how the old narrow passages can be used to fill in some places if you needed it to.)

The "Market-By-The-Wall", where the wealthier itinerant merchants come to trade.

The wall, as seen in the back of the Shrine to Dava.
(If you see in the distance, the parapet is bending out JUST a little. It rests on FIVE stories worth of City Builder, which might be its limit)

... more to com later! ;)
Beware the old man in a world
----- where men die young -----

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 am

Richard 0208 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am
Does anyone know if we actually get a portcullis with the gatehouse? A portcullis appears in most of the DF pictures and videos but do we get one?
The Portcullis piece only comes with the Drawbridge Upgrade addons (both manual and motorized) which also includes the chains and winch.

You need to have a 4" open vertical space for the portcullis to have somewhere to go when retracted, and the murderhole floor with a slot for the portcullis to fit through. The upgraded gatehouse provides this.

We haven't seen any user pics of the finished piece in action yet because the Motorized Drawbridge sets seem to be on one of the shipping containers that's still in transit/customs (not sure about the manual version, but I suspect the same issue.)

Alkettory
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alkettory » Sun May 07, 2017 11:30 am

The portcullis comes with either the motorized or unmotorized drawbridge add-on.

Richard 0208
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Richard 0208 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am

blinky
Orc
Orc

Post by blinky » Sun May 07, 2017 7:58 am

Stormfury wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 am
Law wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 am
* weeps openly *

* checks email again for shipping notice *
Joins in...
Too busy checking email for shipping notice to join in...

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 am

Law wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 am
* weeps openly *

* checks email again for shipping notice *
Joins in...
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity