Castle Builds

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Castle Builds

Post by Law » Sun May 07, 2017 7:02 am

ChicagoBart wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:44 pm

The other issue I have? Harsh downward lighting. Now I have even more respect for Nate's ability to shoot and light this stuff. :D
Yeah I have that too. My house lighting is that traditional overhead stuff - worst possible kind for this. You get no cool shadows, no direct illumination on any walls - and wherever you go to position yourself above a layout, you're blocking the light!

ChicagoBart
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ChicagoBart » Sat May 06, 2017 12:53 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 am
Nice!

To me, it does look like a protected library/armory/treasury of some kind. Or maybe a grand fortified residence, perhaps for a lord, minister, or an ambassador. Maybe even a prison for persons of import, waiting to be ransomed.
I started with the Lord's Keep in mind, then just kind of went crazy. Library was where I landed (though the middle building would be... storage? Stables? Just kind of tossed that in the middle before I gave much thought to what it should be)

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to do a market next to a grand wall... I'll try to give it a little more thought before I just start throwing pieces on the table. :D
Beware the old man in a world
----- where men die young -----

ChicagoBart
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ChicagoBart » Sat May 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Law wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 7:35 am
Aw, thanks, man!

Photographing castles is going to be TRICKY. These are easily going to be the largest, most fully three-dimensional DF layouts ever. Even with the cities, which were tricky enough, I could usually arrange things to favor one perspective - so my photos could capture the layout effectively. But with castles, I'm not sure that will work.

Plus, as a practical matter - I've moved, and in my new place I don't have a spot that lends itself to photos. I'll have to do something to create a background-block of some kind, so you're not always just seeing my kitchen or my living room in the background! Maybe a screen or something. Ideally, Ofc, I'd get a scenic backdrop - even if it didn't integrate coherently with a layout, at least it would be less distracting than a couch and a bunch of laundry in the background!
Hah. I am having the same issue. Just too much other junk in the background of my Pirate basement.

Wondering if I could just rig a few pieces of foam core and then photoshop in a background. The other issue I have? Harsh downward lighting. Now I have even more respect for Nate's ability to shoot and light this stuff. :D
Beware the old man in a world
----- where men die young -----

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sat May 06, 2017 12:27 pm

WOW.

IIRc< there is a gate at one end...even monks have to resupply their wine cellars...

The Least Weasel
Totus KS delenda sunt
WeaselWarGod

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:59 am

I'd really love the see a build using the stone railing in the square tower bridge set. As much as I know the stone balcony was shown, but not the stone railing. I'd like to hear if the tower bridge hold well too with minis on it, especially metal minis. Since it only hold with magnet I'm afraid of how much it can support.

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dreamlifter » Sat May 06, 2017 10:23 am

Law wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 7:35 am

Still, even if I solve that problem, lighting is a big issue. Another reason for forcing one perspective on my cities was that lighting was often best from one angle. I suppose I could design castles favoring one side.... Put less decorative cool stuff where it won't photograph well... Hmmmm
Hang a droplight from a fixture or ledge or maybe you could find a
http://www.staples.com/Table-Desk-Floor ... t_CL167867

This will be my first time playing with DF, but I like your integration and creativity.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat May 06, 2017 9:57 am

I suggest we start a GoFundMe to buy a giant Lazy Susan dining room table for Law

Then he could make his setups and just keep turning them so we could see them from all perspectives!

Oooops - thread jack

I looked at the original setup and immediately thought monastary - it is the peaked roof close that makes it more spiritual and less fortress - i like this build a lot - it could drop into a city nicely and be the source of adventures in and off itself (what are they up to in there?, why the need for so much secrecy?)

There is no way in - or out - except over the wall!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 am

Nice!

To me, it does look like a protected library/armory/treasury of some kind. Or maybe a grand fortified residence, perhaps for a lord, minister, or an ambassador. Maybe even a prison for persons of import, waiting to be ransomed.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat May 06, 2017 7:35 am

Aw, thanks, man!

Photographing castles is going to be TRICKY. These are easily going to be the largest, most fully three-dimensional DF layouts ever. Even with the cities, which were tricky enough, I could usually arrange things to favor one perspective - so my photos could capture the layout effectively. But with castles, I'm not sure that will work.

Plus, as a practical matter - I've moved, and in my new place I don't have a spot that lends itself to photos. I'll have to do something to create a background-block of some kind, so you're not always just seeing my kitchen or my living room in the background! Maybe a screen or something. Ideally, Ofc, I'd get a scenic backdrop - even if it didn't integrate coherently with a layout, at least it would be less distracting than a couch and a bunch of laundry in the background!

Still, even if I solve that problem, lighting is a big issue. Another reason for forcing one perspective on my cities was that lighting was often best from one angle. I suppose I could design castles favoring one side.... Put less decorative cool stuff where it won't photograph well... Hmmmm

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 06, 2017 7:09 am

Law I remember your KSIII builds. I'm looking forward to your KSIV builds.

And KSV builds for that matter.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria