Castle Builds

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Castle Builds

Post by geekjeff » Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 am

Richard 0208 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am
Does anyone know if we actually get a portcullis with the gatehouse? A portcullis appears in most of the DF pictures and videos but do we get one?
The Portcullis piece only comes with the Drawbridge Upgrade addons (both manual and motorized) which also includes the chains and winch.

You need to have a 4" open vertical space for the portcullis to have somewhere to go when retracted, and the murderhole floor with a slot for the portcullis to fit through. The upgraded gatehouse provides this.

We haven't seen any user pics of the finished piece in action yet because the Motorized Drawbridge sets seem to be on one of the shipping containers that's still in transit/customs (not sure about the manual version, but I suspect the same issue.)

Alkettory
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alkettory » Sun May 07, 2017 11:30 am

The portcullis comes with either the motorized or unmotorized drawbridge add-on.

Richard 0208
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Richard 0208 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am

Does anyone know if we actually get a portcullis with the gatehouse? A portcullis appears in most of the DF pictures and videos but do we get one?

blinky
Orc
Orc

Post by blinky » Sun May 07, 2017 7:58 am

Stormfury wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 am
Law wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 am
* weeps openly *

* checks email again for shipping notice *
Joins in...
Too busy checking email for shipping notice to join in...

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 am

Law wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 am
* weeps openly *

* checks email again for shipping notice *
Joins in...
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun May 07, 2017 7:02 am

ChicagoBart wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:44 pm

The other issue I have? Harsh downward lighting. Now I have even more respect for Nate's ability to shoot and light this stuff. :D
Yeah I have that too. My house lighting is that traditional overhead stuff - worst possible kind for this. You get no cool shadows, no direct illumination on any walls - and wherever you go to position yourself above a layout, you're blocking the light!

ChicagoBart
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ChicagoBart » Sat May 06, 2017 12:53 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 am
Nice!

To me, it does look like a protected library/armory/treasury of some kind. Or maybe a grand fortified residence, perhaps for a lord, minister, or an ambassador. Maybe even a prison for persons of import, waiting to be ransomed.
I started with the Lord's Keep in mind, then just kind of went crazy. Library was where I landed (though the middle building would be... storage? Stables? Just kind of tossed that in the middle before I gave much thought to what it should be)

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to do a market next to a grand wall... I'll try to give it a little more thought before I just start throwing pieces on the table. :D
Beware the old man in a world
----- where men die young -----

ChicagoBart
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ChicagoBart » Sat May 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Law wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 7:35 am
Aw, thanks, man!

Photographing castles is going to be TRICKY. These are easily going to be the largest, most fully three-dimensional DF layouts ever. Even with the cities, which were tricky enough, I could usually arrange things to favor one perspective - so my photos could capture the layout effectively. But with castles, I'm not sure that will work.

Plus, as a practical matter - I've moved, and in my new place I don't have a spot that lends itself to photos. I'll have to do something to create a background-block of some kind, so you're not always just seeing my kitchen or my living room in the background! Maybe a screen or something. Ideally, Ofc, I'd get a scenic backdrop - even if it didn't integrate coherently with a layout, at least it would be less distracting than a couch and a bunch of laundry in the background!
Hah. I am having the same issue. Just too much other junk in the background of my Pirate basement.

Wondering if I could just rig a few pieces of foam core and then photoshop in a background. The other issue I have? Harsh downward lighting. Now I have even more respect for Nate's ability to shoot and light this stuff. :D
Beware the old man in a world
----- where men die young -----

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat May 06, 2017 12:27 pm

WOW.

IIRc< there is a gate at one end...even monks have to resupply their wine cellars...

The Least Weasel
Totus KS delenda sunt
WeaselWarGod

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:59 am

I'd really love the see a build using the stone railing in the square tower bridge set. As much as I know the stone balcony was shown, but not the stone railing. I'd like to hear if the tower bridge hold well too with minis on it, especially metal minis. Since it only hold with magnet I'm afraid of how much it can support.