Castle Builds

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Castle Builds

Post by dreamlifter » Sat May 06, 2017 10:23 am

Law wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 7:35 am

Still, even if I solve that problem, lighting is a big issue. Another reason for forcing one perspective on my cities was that lighting was often best from one angle. I suppose I could design castles favoring one side.... Put less decorative cool stuff where it won't photograph well... Hmmmm
Hang a droplight from a fixture or ledge or maybe you could find a
http://www.staples.com/Table-Desk-Floor ... t_CL167867

This will be my first time playing with DF, but I like your integration and creativity.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat May 06, 2017 9:57 am

I suggest we start a GoFundMe to buy a giant Lazy Susan dining room table for Law

Then he could make his setups and just keep turning them so we could see them from all perspectives!

Oooops - thread jack

I looked at the original setup and immediately thought monastary - it is the peaked roof close that makes it more spiritual and less fortress - i like this build a lot - it could drop into a city nicely and be the source of adventures in and off itself (what are they up to in there?, why the need for so much secrecy?)

There is no way in - or out - except over the wall!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 am

Nice!

To me, it does look like a protected library/armory/treasury of some kind. Or maybe a grand fortified residence, perhaps for a lord, minister, or an ambassador. Maybe even a prison for persons of import, waiting to be ransomed.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat May 06, 2017 7:35 am

Aw, thanks, man!

Photographing castles is going to be TRICKY. These are easily going to be the largest, most fully three-dimensional DF layouts ever. Even with the cities, which were tricky enough, I could usually arrange things to favor one perspective - so my photos could capture the layout effectively. But with castles, I'm not sure that will work.

Plus, as a practical matter - I've moved, and in my new place I don't have a spot that lends itself to photos. I'll have to do something to create a background-block of some kind, so you're not always just seeing my kitchen or my living room in the background! Maybe a screen or something. Ideally, Ofc, I'd get a scenic backdrop - even if it didn't integrate coherently with a layout, at least it would be less distracting than a couch and a bunch of laundry in the background!

Still, even if I solve that problem, lighting is a big issue. Another reason for forcing one perspective on my cities was that lighting was often best from one angle. I suppose I could design castles favoring one side.... Put less decorative cool stuff where it won't photograph well... Hmmmm

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 06, 2017 7:09 am

Law I remember your KSIII builds. I'm looking forward to your KSIV builds.

And KSV builds for that matter.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 am

* weeps openly *

* checks email again for shipping notice *

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat May 06, 2017 4:10 am

Love it. Ya, everyone please post your pics. I need to live vicariously through all of you for the next month.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 06, 2017 3:09 am

Quite nice, keep posting pics like this!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

ChicagoBart
Goblin
Goblin

Castle Builds

Post by ChicagoBart » Sat May 06, 2017 2:50 am

Figured I would start a thread for folks to post their castles, keeps and alternate builds.

I'll get us started with a little shell keep I was playing around with tonight. Or perhaps it's a protected library? Or some sort of temple? Made with mostly Castle Builder, minimal props and the Streets and Alleys.

Beware the old man in a world
----- where men die young -----