If you were ordering KS4 all over again...

Stormfury
Ogre
Ogre

Re: If you were ordering KS4 all over again...

Post by Stormfury » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:54 pm

whyteshark wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 pm
I don't want to say 'yes' but I am really surprised at the number of problems with KS4 stuff. I think they bit off way more than they could chew and should have focused on fewer pieces and ensured that they would work correctly. I have already requested a refund for my KS5 pledge. Kind of sad about this.
Sorry to hear that. I was a little worried about that Parapet as well, hence I only ordered 1 vs 2-3. The concerns I had were with using them on castle walls. I do wish they had designed a corner piece specifically for holding the parapet, with weight to counter it. My pain is a little less though since I'll use mine with the CBS system.

I would urge you to give KSV a chance though. Maybe a partial refund if your really unhappy? I do think you'll be please with it. Maybe just get an encounter or two so you can compare it to the castle stuff. The dungeon stuff is significantly different than the castle stuff.

Either way, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:35 pm

whyteshark wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 pm
I don't want to say 'yes' but I am really surprised at the number of problems with KS4 stuff. I think they bit off way more than they could chew and should have focused on fewer pieces and ensured that they would work correctly. I have already requested a refund for my KS5 pledge. Kind of sad about this.
Very sad sense KS5 was a return to a basic tile system at it's heart and not a way new idea like KS4.

whyteshark
Goblin
Goblin

Post by whyteshark » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 pm

James Gordon, Professor of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:52 am

whyteshark wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:42 am
I just wish that the KS4 stuff had arrived on time (not DFs fault - thanks Canada Customs) this way I would NOT have bought into KS5.
Am I correct in thinking , DF has lost you as a customer.

whyteshark
Goblin
Goblin

Post by whyteshark » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:42 am

I would not have wasted money on the parapets (they can't stay attached to a wall without falling over). Plus they should have come with the 'L' walls so they could be used on the Castle. Although, even with the 'L' they still always fall down.

I wish that the sets came with what you needed for it to work properly. Motorized Gatehouse for example, it should have come with the pieces from the Stone Advanced Builders Set, as it is package now, it has very wobbly 'magnetized' walls that are a very poor build for it. The Gatehouse could have been such an amazing piece, but I find it very frustrating.

Corner curved Battlement pieces (that sit beside towers). These should have been attached to another Battlement as without the flat 'L' floor piece, they fall down. If you put the floor 'L' piece on to keep the curved corner piece from falling, then they are slightly higher than the other Battlement pieces. Does not look good.

Battlements should have been made more stable, right now they kind of balance on the walls. I am thinking of either a) snapping off the base of the Battlement and gluing two of them to the floor piece, or b) gluing two together and then gluing them to the walls, or c) both A & B together.

I am going to have to spend a significant amount of time modding my Castle pieces so that they actually work properly. I have been really frustrated with my KS4 goodies and it has soured me to wanting to get the KS5 stuff. I just wish that the KS4 stuff had arrived on time (not DFs fault - thanks Canada Customs) this way I would NOT have bought into KS5.
James Gordon, Professor of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Right now there's not much use for the buttresses, at least not in any architectural sense. I'm waiting to see if KS6 will be a real smorgasbord of stuff like they said on the Livestream. I would love some alternate sloped roofs, rosette windows, and some custom pieces to be able to build a small chapel or cathedral/temple.

cawshis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by cawshis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:21 am

Now that I've played with the GC a bit (I'm waiting on my double wall blocks though), I think I should have picked up a castle and focused more on towers and CBS compatible items. I love the GC, but I don't know that a full GC will ever hit the table.

I'm glad I picked up the MoD, floors and all the inside wall stuff though. I'm really impressed with how many different configs I can put together.

Oh! And Buttresses and the Tower floor gribblies. I couldn't fit in the cost this time and now I'm full of regret! I didn't need the balcony bits!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:17 am

I'm also going to need more floors - the pack with varying sized ones. I like a basic grid, so I've never been fond of DF floors with smaller footprints. I rarely use the sidewalk squares in the city - especially the ones that are smaller than 2".

But in a GC-sized castle, a big empty courtyard is so dull. You can have so much fun making sections of varying height in there, mini walls and so on. But that breaks up the courtyard floor - so you definitely need some smaller floors to fill it in.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:29 am

Okay, now that I finally have mine, my answer is surprisingly different.

I'd probably hold off on the mega deco packs, though they are nice and I'm glad to have gotten them at KS prices. It just may be awhile before I USE them much.

I'd have gotten more spacers definitely. They're super useful and the GC without a double-thick wall leaves very little room at the inside corners where the towers are. Double thick walls help, but a stack of spacers right there is easier.

Surprising me most - those LED lamp posts are so cool I wish I'd gotten ten. They are fine for a castle but they don't make an IMMENSE impact. They might be neat at the entrance to an inner keep.

But for a city? Whoa! What a game changer! City intersections with lamps, or lamps at the gate of an important guild or popular tavern? Soooo cool. Really, in amid all the cool castle stuff, there is enough here to radically change your ks3 cities. Use the batter bases to incorporate 4" and 6" towers, or just small round buildings. Use the LED fountain in town square, LED lampposts at intersections. New alley pieces change alleys from a small path to a rear entrance into a whole new possible street layout, for a smaller and poorer neighborhood. Honestly, I could build an entirely different kind of city now. Very exciting.

But I need more lamps. :)

Archimagus
Orc
Orc

Post by Archimagus » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:31 am

More walls and more small tower walls. Only bought one of each small tower pack and that is not very tall for a tower.

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”