Erinthor Mountains paint scheme

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Erinthor Mountains paint scheme

Post by bernyleung » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:32 pm

Yup, sponges work. Crumpled pieces of plastic food wrap. Torn up pieces of fabric cloth. Something small and squishy enough to use on a 2'x2' piece that doesn't look repetitive.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:35 pm

astolat wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 am
I'm about to paint the last bits of my mountains and it occurred to me, would anyone be interested in a video? I have a tripod and a phone so could do it pretty easily if anyone would find it useful and/or interesting.
I am always interested :!:
bernyleung wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:53 pm
astolat wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:36 pm
Berny, the core of it was basing thoroughly in cardboard and then the raw umber wash--it turns the overall tone to brown rather than grey. The golden high flow are really nice for washing but there has to be an actual paint layer underneath for them to grip in the recesses, otherwise they bead up on the dwarvenite. (No tackiness afterwards though.)
Thanks for the tips. I don't use Pokorny paints, though. I use artist's acrylic, Golden Acrylics to be precise. I always do my own mixing, so I'll have to experiment. I might have to figure out a decent "splotch" technique to get a distinctly random base of grey and stone/dirt brown.

Try sponges for splotches
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Okay, so aside from details, my Erinthor Mtns are done. I totally stole astolat's scheme.

Can you find the elemental?

I did a base of earth stone; followed with spots of a mixture of earth stone with some drops of lava red and stone edge, and some spots of olive, then did a cardboard drybrush (somewhat heavy), and finished with a cavern drybrush. All Pokorny paints.

Here is an album with more pictures.
http://imgur.com/a/IoN8n

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:17 am

Dude. I love those. Awesome job! You're making me almost regret getting mine painted.

GrumpyOne
Orc
Orc

Post by GrumpyOne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:28 pm

It never hurts to record the procedure in case anyone asks for it at a later date (or you want to refresh your memory). The piece you posted looks great, wouldn't surprise me if others ask you to paint their mountains for them!
"Initial success or total failure"

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Yes, please. :-)

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Maybe some pictures at the various stages with the color used in the foreground?
No need for a whole video. Unless that would be easier for you.
I just can't watch large HD vids untill after midnight.
Also I would just like the process set on my computer screen in a group of pictures, rather than running-stopping-backing up-continuing- da-da-da....you know. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:25 pm

I used to use those! They're great.

I love this paint scheme. One thing that I don't personally like about the prepainted mountains is the color chosen - grey makes sense (obviously) but it means that when combined with castles it's very hard to avoid a kind of grey overload. Things can blur together and you just get clutter, grey noise. I like the sandstone brownish hue you've gone with - that would stand out nicely under a tower or castle.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 am

I'm about to paint the last bits of my mountains and it occurred to me, would anyone be interested in a video? I have a tripod and a phone so could do it pretty easily if anyone would find it useful and/or interesting.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Looks Great