Help! Need Advice About Painting My Castles

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Re: Help! Need Advice About Painting My Castles

Post by GriffinTamer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:26 am

One thing to consider is how much time you want to put into painting this castle (and any future compatible pieces).

To me this does look a little garish. But I think you could fix it would a couple layers of drybrush, the "standard" Df scheme of first Olive Dry Brush (fairly heavy) and then Stone Edge Drybrush (lighter layer). The end result would be a wall that still looks like it's got a lot of variation in individual stones, but more subtle and cohesive.

However, that would mean doing this same paint scheme on all your stuff-- the fairly time consuming one you've already done, plus two more layers of drybrush.

A quicker fix might be to repaint the lighter stones on the already painted pieces, maybe with a mix of Earth Stone and Base Gray (making them somewhere between your existing darker "accent" stones, and the background stone. Still some variation, but less dramatic. And easier to replicate on the rest of the castle.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 am

Maybe try eliminating the brightest tan colour.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:20 am

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:00 pm
I think it looks fine. If you think it is too garish, do a bit of stone edge drybrush over it. That will give a more uniform look (although it will mask that cool stonework detail).
These were my thoughst exactly, before reading any answers here.
It's worth a try on a small section, to see if you like it better. :?:

P.S. - bernyleung, could you post a few pictures here of your CBS stone paint job you mentioned. I would like to see the final look with the variety in the accent colo(u)rs and numbers you created? I still have not painted mine yet. I parenthesized the (u) because my spell checker doesn't like that spelling. :P :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:57 am

First of all, I would like to say that I like your paint scheme. I think this would be totally fine in a fantasy world. Colours could be that much brighter, variations could be much more prominent, contrast could be much more punctuated. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, most real-world castles wouldn't look like that, because the grandly-designed ones used quarried rock cut into consistent shapes and selected for uniformity. However, DF-style stone walls are fieldstone, which is much more diverse in shape and colour compared to quarried stone.

How to get more uniformity of overall colour, yet use some colour diversity to its maximum effect? In my own KS1 experience, I used a neutral base colour (grey) and only two accent colours (tan and olive-grey). I divided my tile piles into thirds. One third of tiles only got 2 accent stones, could be the same colour or mix of two. Another third of tiles got 3 accent stones. The last third of tiles got 4 accent stones. This gave me an overall consistent base grey scheme with a smattering of colours that still ties everything together, because there's not a huge variability in the accent colours or numbers.

Now, when I get my Castle pieces, I realize the surface areas are much bigger. But I will likely use the same technique, picking two accent colours with some walls getting 4 accent stones, some getting 6, and some getting 8 (in proportion, so 12" long walls will get about 3x more accent stones than 4" long walls). However, arrow slit stones and window ledge stones will get consistent colour which might be just a shade lighter (or darker) than the normal basecoat, in order to give a little bit of contrast pop.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:00 pm

I think it looks fine. If you think it is too garish, do a bit of stone edge drybrush over it. That will give a more uniform look (although it will mask that cool stonework detail).

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:37 pm

I think part of the issue is the strong contrast created by the unpainted pieces. That being said... I think it is just a little too busy. If you use it to play something like DnD it may make it difficult to pick out the minis...

I was considering doing something similar with mine... but... I am thinking one should pick a base or core stone color and use the variations a little more sparingly.

You mentioned doing something like this with streets... and I have seen several postings on the forums from people who did just that. The streets look amazing that way. A heavier dry brush brings the colors closer together... less drastic disparity... have you considered that?

NinjaMeesta
Orc
Orc

Post by NinjaMeesta » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:24 pm

I think your instincts are correct. From what I've seen of old/ancient multicoloured stonework, generally the mortar is light coloured. The darker background might be what makes this look so odd on a larger scale.
You could try picking our less stones and keep the same colours, or drop one of the colours all together for the castle.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Magniopi wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Small scale it looks great, but on that tower it pops like camouflage.
That was the comment that someone told me when seeing the picture, that it looked like camouflage.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Wow, indeed.
Small scale it looks great, but on that tower it pops like camouflage. Maybe you can continue with the same colors, but try reducing the number of tan/brown stones? That may reduce the busy-ness, and would be easier painting as well, while keeping it in theme with your existing work.
Disclaimer: I'm an amateur painter at best.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Help! Need Advice About Painting My Castles

Post by Blue Prophet » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Last week I excitedly assembled my unpainted Count's Castle and Watchtower. My plan has been to paint it the same as the scheme I came up with for my stone CBS which is more complicated than the default factory job. I only have a handful of stone CBS painted and I did the KS3 crenellations in the same scheme.

Here is a picture of my CBS job, the one on the left is the scheme (the right was a little too busy and will just be a floor or two worth).
IMG_0617.jpg
Cardboard, Earthstone, and occasional dark washed gray stones
IMG_0617.jpg (52.56 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

Here are the crenelations on top of standard KS1 style painted narrow passages (with olive dry brush tint).
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg (66.27 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

Here is one floor of CBS above my gate.
IMG_1003.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

Then I made a square tower and plus a couple crenellations (I don't have enough CBS for two square towers right now).
IMG_1005.jpg
IMG_1005.jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
IMG_1006.jpg
IMG_1006.jpg (87.82 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

Yikes.
In person it didn't jump out as too strange, but in the picture that paint scheme seems garish and detracts from the overall architecture to me. I'm concerned that a whole castle like that will look too busy. I think my CBS scheme is fine for a house or scattered in a city, but I really wanted to be able to intermix KS3 and KS4. I'm at a loss. It sucks to see all the work I put into the CBS not look nearly as good as I hoped, especially for large surface areas (like a castle will be).

I'd like opinions on whether I should continue this paint job for the castle or not. Should I try to modify my existing CBS to match if I go for a simpler castle paint job? How would you suggest I do that? Some strategic washes with darkish gray? Maybe it just has too much contrast, and I need to tone down some things?

I'm definitely going to be more careful when I paint my streets, I want some variations in those stones, but I need to keep it very subtle.

The other factor is room lighting. In person I don't recall thinking it looked too strange. Perhaps it is the angle you usually look at the things, and if lighting is poorer then extra contrast actually helps to keep the colors popping enough. I have seen a couple photos of castles with a mottled look, but they are rarer that ones that have a rather uniform coloring (which is more often tan/brown than gray). But I don't like that mottled look in the real world, except in housing architecture. If I had the money I'd get enough CBS to do two or three paint schemes (one of which matches castles), but in reality I need versatility.

Or am I just crazy and the paint job works for the larger scale?