Harlech Castle - Gatehouse Build

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Harlech Castle - Gatehouse Build

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 am

Lol did not see page 2!
Yay I won the internet - can I have it on a floppy disk ?
My 16 year old son said 'Cool' then went back to the trampoline - some kids!
I wont let my 11 year old near it just yet - not unsupervised as I want to keep intact a little while longer and she plays with no restraint and I mean none.
I was showing off my Pedion Tiles with Space Wolves and Orks and she countered with Skeletons and Polar Warbears! my poor Orks never stood a chance :(
https://www.flickr.com/photos/154061666 ... 9871102993
I am the Game and I want to Play

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:58 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 am
Love Castles - like I have said before I grew up in a small holiday town in North West Wales called Harlech and it has one of the most magnificent castles. A real military strongpoint a statement of power built by Edward I and once held the free Welsh government many many years ago ;)
So whilst I have always wanted to build a model of it, the idea is to use it in war-games (warhammer etc), but now I built it I don't think I could convince any of my miniature armies to attack it unless they are Space Marines (which would be Cool) - just as well I got some ruins to add to it where necessary.
Awesome and looks daunting to build! Good job. Sounds like you learned a lot during construction!
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 am

Love Castles - like I have said before I grew up in a small holiday town in North West Wales called Harlech and it has one of the most magnificent castles. A real military strongpoint a statement of power built by Edward I and once held the free Welsh government many many years ago ;)
So whilst I have always wanted to build a model of it, the idea is to use it in war-games (warhammer etc), but now I built it I don't think I could convince any of my miniature armies to attack it unless they are Space Marines (which would be Cool) - just as well I got some ruins to add to it where necessary.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 am

Alphyns wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 am
Shared with my ten-year-old. After picking his jaw up off the floor he finally said, "Duuuuude!"

I think that means you've won the internet this morning.
^THAT is almost as great as the incredible castle build - love them both!!! :!:

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 am

Shared with my ten-year-old. After picking his jaw up off the floor he finally said, "Duuuuude!"

I think that means you've won the internet this morning.

Harliquinn
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Harliquinn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:17 am

Wow that is the most amazing castle build I've seen. Is this for a specific game or just to have up?

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 am

I will admit to wondering if I'd bitten off more than I could chew trying to create a gatehouse that was 4x2 CBS units (Square towers or 16"x8") by 6 CBS levels high.
During the KS and PM I realised I need half width CBS or Square Towers - so the need for the Advanced Building add-ons. As the gate house is 4 Square towers in width (16") I needed to have the Gatehouse Central leaving 6" each side 1 and 1/2 square towers. Was confident that any shortfall would be met by my stone CBS buildings.
During the build I realised I did not have enough Advanced Builder sets to do the whole height, 6 levels and was starting to think I could not make it as I envisaged.
What I had forgotten was that for the rear I only need half widths (2") for two levels - the height of a single gatehouse and at the front four levels, the height of the Gatehouse and drawbridge.
So once above the gatehouse and drawbridge I could use 4 full CBS units.
Keeping that many levels inline was proving difficult until I started using double stone posts - love these. Just did not have enough stone ones. This pulled all the different CBS units together making the build much easier.
I was pleased the roof platform pack gave me the ability to have Crenellations on the same level as the floor Each of the 4" round towers required four 3/4 roof platforms and I only had six - so one tower has a bit of a 'wonk' to it as I overlapped two 1/2 roof platforms. I intend to dremel a single 1/2 platform into two 1/4 platforms which can be added to two 1/2 platforms to give me the two 3/4 platforms I need - simple ;)

All in all it was an interesting build, took me an afternoon to complete the gatehouse, learnt a lot, was pleased my PM calculations were mostly correct - did not predict the issue with the 4" tower platforms.
The adv builder sets work well but there is an issue (I think) where you cant have a two level solid wall on the 1" edge - will make a separate post on that.
Love how the Tower crenellations merge with my existing KS3 crenellations. The front 6" half towers look great. Need to have blank walls where the 3/4 4" towers wrap around as arrow slits can foul the join and make the tower jut out a little.

Time to bring this ramble to a close ;) I am Very satisfied with the end result - especially as I think I can make it even better :)
Thanks DF for providing the castle pieces that allowed me to make this.

Archimagus
Orc
Orc

Post by Archimagus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:48 am

I particularly like the Pnzr VI Tiger tank in the background.

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:46 am

Wow!

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JK - 123456 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 am

Awesome Rabbit! that is brilliant... !