Orc

Re: Organization and storage

Post by electricmotorcycles » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:03 pm

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:34 pm

I sort by use; if it's required for a castle and virtually nothing else, it goes with the castle walls, etc. If it has equal application in normal environments, it goes with my non-castle stuff.

I store the castle stuff in boxes in a bin; everything else is more accessible in drawers.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:37 am

I am grouping most of my castle stuff in tubs/bins, since I only have ~ 2" height drawers.

All walls with spacers and roof platforms.

All elevation/square blocks.

All tower curves and circular floors

Crens and battlements.

Etc., etc.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Organization and storage

Post by Law » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:28 am

Question for those storing KS4 in bins (you lucky guys with custom-built furniture with specially designed drawers are all set!).

One thing that bedevils me with this stuff is where to draw the line between the most convenient STORAGE method (small number of bins - take up less room and easier to move) and the most convenient RETRIEVAL method (large number of bins, specialized to specific pieces, easier to locate a particular needed piece).

I'm wondering how others are grouping their stuff.

Some examples:

How do you treat interior spacers? On the one hand, they're wall elements. Keep them with walls. On the other hand, most of us probably have spares - either for building larger castles or just for other uses. So maybe keep them as basic building elements, along with floors? Or are they landings for stairs, a stair component? Which bin do they go in - walls or floors or stairs?

How do you treat specialized wall-toppers? Battlement/crenellation transitions, or the curved half-crenellation for round towers? Special bin just for them, or in with crenellations generally to keep things simple? But doesn't that make them harder to find?

What about the small curved "fill-in" piece. Is that in a small tower bin, or do you keep it with the KS1 tiles, since that set included the same piece (though slightly different color)?

This may seem like I'm overthinking, but believe me, it's an issue. It can take a long time to build an elaborate GC. And right now I'm working with probably 8 large bins and 10-12 small ones. Plus a few CBS and K1 bins (for extra floors, CBS stone walls, CBS posts, CBS crenellations....). It can get frustrating to look around and feel like "where the %#£#} did I put the extra spacers I could use as a landing for these stairs?!" Having fewer bins makes it less likely that the bin you need gets lost in the shuffle - having more bins makes it less likely that the piece you need gets lost in the bin. Finding the right balance matters, unless you really do have nothing but time and can spend an extra 45 minutes on a large build. Which I don't. ;)