Question about new limited restock pre order

iceycat
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Question about new limited restock pre order

Post by iceycat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:14 pm

Oldent wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 am
Small company is not the problem. Niche is not the problem.

"However, I do agree that DF has not - and still to this day does not - communicate very well with its customers"
That is an understatement :!:

In my experience they have always tried hard to please but don't react well or understand why they do not.
Yes a clear communication on these things would go a long way. I had absolutely no idea the Royal Stronghold would be a limited run. It was simply never stated. Now I have to decide to commit to a preorder or not. I'm even more torn because I hate KS4 pre painted they completely changed the dungeon grey color to be closer to base grey paint and there's no more contrast in the cracks and crevices making everything prepainted look "blue" compared to prepainted stone of any other KS 1-3. All my KS4 stuff I've gone unpainted and primed matte black to get it to match the other paint jobs for stonework. So now I find out if I want a Royal Stronghold I have to get it now or never and the only option is prepainted which is both more expensive and KS4 castles have a far inferior paint job due to the significantly lighter base color of that KS4 series of Dwarvenite. Had I known any of this in advance I might have tried a little harder to get an unpainted one back when I could have at least tried for the tug of war for stock in the store. Information saves lives. And wallets. In this case mostly wallets.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 am

Small company is not the problem. Niche is not the problem.

"However, I do agree that DF has not - and still to this day does not - communicate very well with its customers"
That is an understatement :!:

In my experience they have always tried hard to please but don't react well or understand why they do not.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:53 am

I think DF tries their level best to be as transparent as possible about what will and won't be available and when. Remember, despite having great KS success, they are still a very small company in a very very small niche market. There are a lot of variables (and costs, especially warehouse storage of inventory) that make it hard for DF to exactly predict how much extra they should have made at the factory for each KS. As Geekjeff said, its not hundreds of pressings (or whatever the vernacular is) for each steel mold it has to be THOUSANDS. That is a big gamble to take if the product doesn't move in a timely fashion.

However, I do agree that DF has not - and still to this day does not - communicate very well with its customers. they are getting better, but the one off comments by Stefan on FB or the fact there is a pre-order system now but no newsletter went out, etc, etc is very frustrating.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:32 am

"For instance in the DoD KS DF have said the Marble/Jade variants will be limited to the first production run only."

I chose not to get any for that reason. I did not order burrows because I got the impression it might be limited too.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 am

Oldent wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:44 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 am
I was very surprised how quickly Castles sold out given as geekjeff pointed out it was a very niche product with a reduced backer count.

What I think DF should do is have the entire catalogue of retail items listed with a statuses 'in stock', 'out of stock', 'available for pre order' preferably with restock dates.

At the moment it looks like that not all items are listed at all.

But it all reinforces that backers should get all they can in the KS where possible.
"But it all reinforces that backers should get all they can in the KS where possible."

That is also why I have had it up to my eyeballs with Kickstarters. If you can't keep it in stock there is not much point in collecting one shot wonders.

I understand niche Products and limited runs. One of two or #5 of 10 are example of limited runs. #5 of 10 was delivered personally and the producer bought me lunch. Product one and #5 were purchased with the understanding that they were limited and complete.
KSIV was not presented as limited.I can't even upgrade my tower because the parts are already unavailable. This has not left me with a favorable impression of KSIV. KSV was an Improvement but I am not confdent that I will ever be able to find it available later.
Agreed - if it is to be limited in retail or only available in the KS then it should be made clear.

Though I don't believe DF ever intended Castles to be limited, they just underestimated their retail popularity, does not help the buyer though.
For instance in the DoD KS DF have said the Marble/Jade variants will be limited to the first production run only.

I have backed a lot of Kickstarters and I only ever back if I can get all I want in the KS or any non KS extras are already available in retail.
I do not back with the intention of getting more in retail for the very reason you make - they may never make it.

That does not mean I wont supplement in retail if available - I just don't rely on it.
I am the Game and I want to Play

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:44 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 am
I was very surprised how quickly Castles sold out given as geekjeff pointed out it was a very niche product with a reduced backer count.

What I think DF should do is have the entire catalogue of retail items listed with a statuses 'in stock', 'out of stock', 'available for pre order' preferably with restock dates.

But it all reinforces that backers should get all they can in the KS where possible.
"But it all reinforces that backers should get all they can in the KS where possible."

That is also why I have had it up to my eyeballs with Kickstarters. If you can't keep it in stock there is not much point in collecting one shot wonders.

I understand niche Products and limited runs. One of two or #5 of 10 are example of limited runs. #5 of 10 was delivered personally and the producer bought me lunch. Product one and #5 were purchased with the understanding that they were limited and complete.
KSIV was not presented as limited.I can't even upgrade my tower because the parts are already unavailable. This has not left me with a favorable impression of KSIV. KSV was an Improvement but I am not confdent that I will ever be able to find it available later.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 am

I am the Game and I want to Play

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:49 pm

iceycat wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:21 pm

It's also weird because KS5 JUST ended, the pledge manager is literally just ending for it. and then there's this weird let us know if you can drop $2,000+ dollars for this prepainted only castle or you'll probably never see it again right on the heels of everyone bashing their wallets against KS5 which is going to create very few opportunities for people who might have wanted this castle but needed to let their wallets recover. Again we had no warning that these weren't going to be kept in regular stock and apparently if we want one we need to let them know by the end of the month or so or else too bad so sad?

It's like, wait....what's happening here?
I can offer a little insight, but first please note for clarity - you don't have to pony up $2000 right now to get in on a Royal Stronghold. $250 deposit now, the rest bills right before it's ready to ship to you.

People have asked DF for a preorder system for years, so this is a first trial run for the idea. I believe the preorders are somewhat about 1) guaranteeing your place in line for this production run, and 2) gauging demand for a product, and determining when enough exists to approach minimum casting numbers for a given mold to make production viable. There's a minimum production run whenever the factory drags a giant steel mold out of the warehouse with a forklift and shuts down the line to install it - if they don't produce X-thousand pieces, DF gets charged like they produced X-thousand anyways. Can't just zip off 100 copies of something left and right.

Most of what's on that preorder list will be kept in fairly regular production - definitely Erinthor, Watchtower and Hamlet, probably Count's Castle too but maybe less frequently on that one. Royal Stronghold is a special case. It's a logistical nightmare to produce and ship, and uses probably something like 75% plus of the LARGE number of molds in KS4. Jay had mentioned that it would practically require its own Kickstarter to justify getting it back into production, but I guess this preorder system helps make it more viable. As they mention, this may be the last production run for that one specific, gigantic set.

As for how Castles sold out so quickly on the webstore... remember that they're a niche product, and the Castles Kickstarter had the lowest number of backers and lowest total in-campaign fund haul of all the DF projects. They weren't sure what demand was going to be like, and didn't have a giant pile of cash to tie up in inventory for it. Happily, demand was way higher than anticipated. Unhappily, there wasn't nearly enough product to meet demand. I ordered pretty quickly myself, but still didn't pounce fast enough for a few things I wanted.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:37 pm

I really would like some explanation too, so I can plan for how DF wants to do things. Their world, their way, I understand that, but not saying anything just causes confusion.

And DF, please post important info somewhere consistently. Even FB is ok as I know it will get reposted here. Having things go live and then only finding out about it by searching around is really frustrating. The more randon places things are posted, the more likely that info is to get missed.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm

My guess is that they're trying to save shipping costs by piggy backing on the containers coming over already with KS5. Possibly even production costs if the factory's already geared up to produce DF PVC and they just have to get the molds out.