How would you defend against a Dragon

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: How would you defend against a Dragon

Post by Oldent » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 am

I have an avenger as well. I have to go through my storage and locate my GW dark elf repeater bolt throwers.

I want to make a new roof for the hoarding that includes arrow slits.

If I can not find more of these may be there are some available substitutes.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:59 am

I use my castles in the LOTR setting. The two main dragon types are the great wyrms of the north (like Smaug) and the Fell Beasts ridden by Nazgul. I have found the trusty multi-shot Gondorian Avenger Bolt Thrower to do credible service against the Fell Beasts and recommend them for your battlements. Image
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:27 am

A quick set up using the Castle Arbalest and a CBS Wagon from the Wicked City Accessories
still needs a couple of operators :)

Have a few of these to go with the wall and Tower static defenses will help fend off any airborne attack - which is probably your best bet at defence rather than a few heavier weapons designed to kill a Dragon outright

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:39 am

I like the obstacle idea.
Personally I am going to equip my giant gorilla mercenaries with fire resistant charms and javelins and dare those suckers to get with in 90 feet.

I am going to work on some more hoarding.I decided to use wood so I won't do much till after Christmas.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:56 am

Green dragons spit poisonous gas, black dragons spit acid.

Another possible way to minimize the dragon’s ability to do damage to the main castle (and its inhabitants) is to build lots of 90’ tall towers or spires in a perimeter 90’ out from the walls, and at the corners of the castle itself. These would prevent the dragon from flying close enough to use its breath weapon effectively, and force it to land on the ground or on a tower/spire. Add mechanical and/or magical traps that can be triggered by the castle defenders.

A few wizards with spells like stone shape and wall of stone can do a lot to repair and prevent damage to the castle itself. Area effect spells involving wind and rain can minimize certain breath weapon’s lingering effects.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:24 am

So the initial concept of this thread was how to defend your Dwarvenite fantasy build from a Dragon. So most likely this would be a City (CBS) or a Castle (errr...Castle) or a combination.

To be fair this can include any fantasy monster - Giant, Spiders, Griffons.

We picked dragons because they are the most difficult to defend against having being able to fly and a distance weapon.

Classically we think of dragons as fire breathing but that is not necessarily the case, blue dragons spit lightening and Black dragons poison.

So they seem to be a nightmare to defend against but we were thinking of any technique which included the first suggestion which was let the dragon make your city its home, by luring it with Gold etc.
Sadly this has the drawback of every adventurer and thug in the land would be coming over to 'appropriate' some of the Dragon loot. And having a truck sized flying creature roaming around your city is going to put a heavy strain on your Masonry and Carpentry guilds.

Oldent came up with some fabulous weaponry to defend against a Dragon, but I think you'd need quite a few and reload time looks like it might be around a week.

Our take would be lots of light ballista, like the Arbalests in the Castle Seige Defense
https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/collectio ... fense-pack
The plus point of these is they are 2 man weapons with quick reload, minus point is they are highly exposed and their stopping power is limited, but could be wagon mounted and placed in tower roofs that could have fire proofed doors. But with enough you should be able to drive off at least a single dragon.

More ideas to follow :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:31 am

It's interesting. I wonder where the idea of dragons with wings came from? Biblical reference, maybe? Certainly in heraldry the dragons are depicted with wings. The Eastern and Mesoamerican ideas of dragons (or dragon-like creatures) are certainly associated with the sky and heavens, but are not depicted with wings.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:23 pm

I think the idea of fighting dragons with lances on horseback goes back to St. George and the Dragon, if not farther.

Grounding the dragon isn’t a bad idea. Two trebuchets simultaneously launch boulders connected by a very long chain, trailing a very big net. Doesn’t have to trap the dragon, just has to tangle up its wings enough to bring it down so the knights can charge.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 pm
Oldent wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:15 pm
Why would anyone take the concept seriously? :roll:
No idea what "the concept" means :?: :?: :?: :?:
The subject line is defending castles from dragons.
May be fantasy should be included in the subject line. I certainly would like to include spider riders and flying monkeys in the discussion. May be the subject line should be changed from dragons to fantasy creatures.
How bombards and rifled cannons effected fortifications or why WWII flak towers could not survive smart bunker buster bombs are worth serious discussion. I would rather have fun with magic and fantasy. May be Rabbit Burner could add something to the precise definition of concept. It is his thread after all.

I think additional defenses would be needed for defending against flying cavalry.May be adding archer stakes . I am going to add roof arrow slits to my hoarding.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Oldent wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:15 pm
Why would anyone take the concept seriously? :roll:
No idea what "the concept" means :?: :?: :?: :?:
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria