How would you defend against a Dragon

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: How would you defend against a Dragon

Post by Oldent » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:15 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:22 pm
Yeah, gotta get it on the ground first, then charge with lances, I would say. Lotta power for a knight and a horse behind a single point. As long as the dragon is flying there is not much chance, unless the mobile artillary is numerous and deadly. If the dragon can knock out the ballitae and such easily, then the town is defenseless in a hurry.

Seriously, in a land of dragons and frequent dragon attacks, defenses would be far from castles. Those are people type defenses.
Why would anyone take the concept seriously? :roll:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Yeah, gotta get it on the ground first, then charge with lances, I would say. Lotta power for a knight and a horse behind a single point. As long as the dragon is flying there is not much chance, unless the mobile artillary is numerous and deadly. If the dragon can knock out the ballitae and such easily, then the town is defenseless in a hurry.

Seriously, in a land of dragons and frequent dragon attacks, defenses would be far from castles. Those are people type defenses.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Sadly, in my campaign, dragons are a literal pestilence upon the earth. They exude a miasma that is lethal to all but the hardiest of plants and animals. Big enough that it is a really bad idea to try to approach their nests. Having one sit atop your city would rapidly depopulate the neighborhood. Plus there’s the whole keeping the beasties fed issue.

On the other hand, the dwarven resistance to poisons makes a lot more sense. . .

Heavy nets thrown by magic followed by dog piling the downed wyrm with every weapon you can bring to bear is really the best approach in Njordlund. Or magical resistance and cures — to try catch them in their lairs. Those are easy to find. Just look for a square mile of blight and corpses.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:47 pm

The RAFM bolt thrower may be hard to find so I made one from common materials.

Plastic picks are available at Dollar tree. The Laser cut gears can be found at Michaels and Joanns. I cut the picks with flush cutters and used a hot glue gun to attach the parts.

This paper cone was purchase at Joanns. The shingles and trim are paper. I used a green stuff world shingle punch to make the shingles.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:51 pm

jackattack wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:36 am
Extensive use of gilding.

Cover every exposed surface with gold leaf (and other precious metals) to make the dragon’s love of treasure work for me and against it.

Of course, we may have to build a tower with a dragon-sized platform on it, so the dragon can settle in to bask in the ostentatious display of wealth.
So we read this as - make our castle the Dragons home :)
and as long as the inhabitants don't steal any of the Gold your all sweet and the dragon can defend the castle against attackers and indeed other Dragons - Genius!
I am the Game and I want to Play

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:51 am

jackattack wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:36 am

Cover every exposed surface with gold leaf (and other precious metals) to make the dragon’s love of treasure work for me and against it.

Of course, we may have to build a tower with a dragon-sized platform on it, so the dragon can settle in to bask in the ostentatious display of wealth.
combine the idea with the magnetic blade and or the flame trap ;)

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:36 am

Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

How would you defend against a Dragon

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:22 am

Think Smaug v Laketown or Drogon v Kingslanding

What defences would you use to prevent total destruction or your beloved City or Castle?

What would you do, so you don't have to rely on a single Ballista and a lucky shot ?

This topic was touched upon in the Large round Crenellations thread
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8931&start=20

so rather than hijack that thread we thought this was an interesting enough topic to have its own thread.

Hoping to get some ideas and even some modelling ideas that could be applied to our builds using Dwarvenite or any other substance or manufacturer. Oldent already bashed a couple of terrific Mods :D

Simple, complex, silly, left field .... all ideas are welcome they don't have to be practical, they just have to reduce dragon damage to your builds :) at least in your mind .....
I am the Game and I want to Play