Plain tower wall pack

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Plain tower wall pack

Post by zenako » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Hopefully Nate or Stephan delegate that sort of number crunching and optimization to someone else who likes figuring out optimization schemes.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Yeah... i don't know how they configure molds so i cannot speak to that - but clearly lots of encounters use the same building blocks... It just doesn't seem sustainable that they would maintain so many differing configurations as inventory.

More likely there will one day be a guide that says:

Royal Stronghold - to build you need 3 of these, 2 of these and one each of the following

Prison Passage - One starter, one passage pack, and one of each of these...

otherwise inventory will become unmanageable and carrying costs for inventory will be astronomical - as it is i cannot imagine the logistics of production and inventory - when they pull a mold to make more of a certain kit, they must at the same time consider potentially restocking other kits that use that mold... which would mean pulling additional molds to complete those and considering what kits utilize those molds...

my brain hurts
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:49 pm

I think the additional challenge is that most of the KS based Kits are also based on the mold infrastructure that was created during that KS, so it makes it harder (albeit not impossible) to produce combos of items that don't mimic the KS kits/little white boxes.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:27 pm

The Kickstarters are (or should be IMHO) irrelevant for web store inventory. Products need to be grouped by product type. Some need to be linked from multiple sections (Sewers from both City & Dungeon). If there is a desire to maintain the KS organization, it should be simple enough to have 2 separate menus all linking to the same product pages. But, realistically, the KS organization is only relevant to those who participated in the KS's and they (for the most part) know the product well enough to know where to look anyway.

I foresee a time when KS groupings (ie encounters) will only be available during the KS and for a brief time while in inventory afterwards. Beyond that point they will need to be bought as "logical" sets: Starter, Traps, Passages, Dias, etc. At some point it will become logistically impossible to continue to offer every possible iteration of parts. Then the value of the KS will be in being able to get unique combinations of pieces without needing to buy ALL the traps or ALL the diases.

Most of these things are logical, common sense and widely accepted. I know a redesign of the webstore is in the works and i expect that most all of these things will be resolved. Sure something will always be funky, but that is part of the fun ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:50 am

jefflatt wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:37 pm
Is there any chance we might see something like this in the restock for castles?
I don't think it's in the cards for the pre-Christmas castle restock, those sets were ordered months ago.

It's an interesting and very astute suggestion though - I think the natural inclination when buying (and building out) these sets is to want more of the "cooler" walls with windows, but I've also run tight on plain walls when doing castle builds with Batter Bases, Battlements, of even just trying to fit the stairs internally. Need more plain walls indeed.

Might be a possibility for future reorders, if the existing mold arrangements allow it. They're definitely open to new Castle set configurations, while the Kickstarter offering was great on extreme modularity it remains just as confusing as ever to the new viewer and I'm sure it's a nightmare for inventory.

Everyone agrees the website is due for a reorganization, and some of the suggestions here make sense and I think are close to what is planned. The biggest confusing things we see come up repeatedly are Alley Intersections orphaned in the Castles section and Mountains being buried inside the Castles - totally un-intuitive unless you followed all the Kickstarters. Dungeon Passages crammed in the Cavern section was fixed awhile ago.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:35 am

Another thought, for DF vets, we all know the keywords we want to search for (if we even bother with the search function). However a new customer might not have a clue to search for Tudor, or Tower, or Sidewalk, etc. so a nice pull down menu with a number of suggested search topics would be useful, as well as leaving the ability to enter whatever you want to in the search window.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:27 am

DF is experiencing the joys and frustrations of growth. Back when they had only a handful of products to sell on the webstore, pretty much anything was going to be fine and frankly a more powerful webstore would have been wasted. With the addition of all of the options that KS5 will bring, clearly a more dynamic shop model is a good idea. Even now, if you use their existing search function, for something like Sewers for example. You get a nice list of all the products with Sewers in the title and they all appear to be in stock on that list. It is only when you click on an item does the Sold Out label now appear.

I would think it would be a useful thing to add would be a stock level category. Would not be a specific value displayed but more like the following with some ranges: In Stock (over some level like 20+ units), limited stock (under 20 but more than 10), almost gone (under 10) and then sadly the Out of Stock level. I know on Amazon for example when ordering from many sources, they actually list a precise number for how many they have (when it matters), such only 7 left. The numbers I used above are just for example and DF would have a far better idea of what numbers would be relevant to their actual store volumes. It would also be a good idea to indicate on the shop entry for an item if there is already a planned restock. They could have a spot to indicate an interest in this item when it is restocked, by using a simple, flag/email me when it is restocked mechanism. That way they would get some feedback if 300 people ask to be flagged when the Large Tower is to be restocked for example, that there is clearly some level of unmet need for that kit. If only 3 people want to know about the Royal Citadel that also lets them know that ordering another 50 might be a LOT of sunken costs for a while.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:32 am

astolat wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 am
What I'd really like in the site is:
- ability to separately save a cart and a wishlist
- shipping costs shown up front once you log in or provide enough postal info like zip code
- high res photos of painted and unpainted
- photo of each item in a small build
- list of closely related items on each one ("if you buy this item you probably want/need these")
- a gallery of large builds with checklists showing what items you need to build them (retrofit the equivalent of encounters)

For browsing I'd probably think the top level would be:
- Resin

- Dwarvenite
-- Underground
--- Dungeons
---- Dungeon of Doom
---- KS1
--- Caverns
----- Caverns Deep
----- KS2

-- Buildings
--- Castles
--- Cities

-- Outdoors
--- Mountains
--- Forest

-- Encounters
--- Dungeon of Doom Encounters
--- Caverns Deep Encounters

But I would hope they actually organize it underneath using tags and give each item multiple tags listed on the individual page so you can follow the one that you're interested in. What I mean is, something like say the new Escarpments pack would have the tags Caverns Deep, KS6, Dreadhollow Forest, Outdoor Terrain, Mountains, Forest, Escarpments, Small Pack.

So you could follow any one of those tags, eg, if you followed Mountains you'd get Erinthor, Dreadhollow escarpments, maybe Cave Cliff pieces and other caverns elevation pieces all together.
Some good ideas here. I especially like the tags concept. That would prove quite helpful, especially for someone not familiar with the composition of the various sets.

Riley
Orc
Orc

Post by Riley » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:07 am

I am interested in more 6” towers- but only if I can get some 6” crenellations to go on top of them.

I have no use for open-top towers.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 am

What I'd really like in the site is:
- ability to separately save a cart and a wishlist
- shipping costs shown up front once you log in or provide enough postal info like zip code
- high res photos of painted and unpainted
- photo of each item in a small build
- list of closely related items on each one ("if you buy this item you probably want/need these")
- a gallery of large builds with checklists showing what items you need to build them (retrofit the equivalent of encounters)

For browsing I'd probably think the top level would be:
- Resin

- Dwarvenite
-- Underground
--- Dungeons
---- Dungeon of Doom
---- KS1
--- Caverns
----- Caverns Deep
----- KS2

-- Buildings
--- Castles
--- Cities

-- Outdoors
--- Mountains
--- Forest

-- Encounters
--- Dungeon of Doom Encounters
--- Caverns Deep Encounters

But I would hope they actually organize it underneath using tags and give each item multiple tags listed on the individual page so you can follow the one that you're interested in. What I mean is, something like say the new Escarpments pack would have the tags Caverns Deep, KS6, Dreadhollow Forest, Outdoor Terrain, Mountains, Forest, Escarpments, Small Pack.

So you could follow any one of those tags, eg, if you followed Mountains you'd get Erinthor, Dreadhollow escarpments, maybe Cave Cliff pieces and other caverns elevation pieces all together.