Recommended size of painting batches

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Recommended size of painting batches

Post by zenako » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:56 pm

I tend to personally draw the line at roughly 40-60 items at a time. More than that and I start to get sloppy and bored, and I have plenty of room for that many. Also, I am usually ready for a short break and brush cleaning after roughly that many items. Unless you are just doing something simple on each part, like putting a base coat on some timber for example, then you can pump a lot of the items with timber on them (looking at you Secret Weapon Mines!).

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:05 pm

I usally only do big batches, enough so that first piece is dry by the time I get to last. I add a bit of water into my brush or a drop or two on pallet - helps extend the painting time before I have to reload. What's your typical humidity level? I have to deal with a very low humidity environment - I can actually watch paint dry. :D

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm slowly finishing painting my 4K KS4 unpainted castle sets. Definitely do a single step on ALL your pieces before starting on the 2nd step. It will increase the speed of your project and help with matching pieces. If it takes you as much time as me (8 months and counting), store your pieces away from dust when you're not working on them.

If you load your paint brush with only a few drops of paint and then spread it across on your bristles when you apply your paint brush against the same spot of newspaper, it will take you a single once of paint for your huge castle. That's how few paint I needed for the dry brushing step.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:38 pm

nielsene wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:44 pm
(at least) one other question: When doing dry-brushing of large batches of pieces, it feels extremely wasteful. (All that paint wiped off on paper towels/etc) It never bothered me when doing a little light drybrushing on a mini, but ouch does it feel wrong to me on the terrain pieces. Any tips for either wasting less or at least being less bothered by it?
I feel the same way about paint waste so here's what I do. Don't dip your brush in too deep when getting more paint. Invest in some really high quality (durable) paper towels. Wipe off your brush on the same spot for as long as the paper towel can handle it. You can reload your brush from that spot on the paper towel several times before you actually have to dip it into the paint again. Tape down a plastic sheet under the paper towel it will protect your work surface and let you use a single layer of paper towel.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:53 pm

nielsene wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:44 pm
Any tips for either wasting less or at least being less bothered by it?
Have some finished pieces with bling and minis set up on them. You'll still get sick when you realize how much paint you're "throwing away" but at least you can look at the final objective and say, "my players will be totally blown away -- and not just when I hit them with that TPK adventure!"

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:44 pm

LadySabelle wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:28 pm
The paint drys quickly, so you don't need quite as much space. About the time you've finished the 10th piece the first 2-3 will be dry enough to move somewhere else. I keep a box on the floor next to me to move dry pieces to while I work.
(at least) one other question: When doing dry-brushing of large batches of pieces, it feels extremely wasteful. (All that paint wiped off on paper towels/etc) It never bothered me when doing a little light drybrushing on a mini, but ouch does it feel wrong to me on the terrain pieces. Any tips for either wasting less or at least being less bothered by it?

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:28 pm

The paint drys quickly, so you don't need quite as much space. About the time you've finished the 10th piece the first 2-3 will be dry enough to move somewhere else. I keep a box on the floor next to me to move dry pieces to while I work.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks, guess that means I need to clear off more space, since I definitely can't fit all the parts at the table right now. There is a counter behind the table I can commandeer.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:15 pm

I would suggest working with one color at a time rather than finishing all the steps on a set number of pieces. When dry brushing, you want everything to match. Each stage of painting is going to look different, so it's best to do them all one stage at a time, if possible.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Recommended size of painting batches

Post by nielsene » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:15 am

About to start work on a largish (for me) painting project of castles and trying to figure out what people recommend for how to break the project into batches.

Is there a rough estimate for how many pieces (lets say standard castle walls as the unit of measure) you need to ensure when you're finished with one color on all of them, the first piece is dry and ready to start the next step of the process?

Is there a personal feeling on how many pieces feels like "too many" in a batch and you get discouraged?

Lets say I'm looking to spend a couple of 3-4 hour sessions, does that help scope your recommendation?

I'm not mixing any paint, so I'm less worried about subtle matching issues. And I probably can't fit the entire unpainted collection on my painting table at once, so I'll need to batch, just trying to figure out what size feels right.

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”