Castles Paint Scheme

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Castles Paint Scheme

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 pm

35 bunnies shudder at the thought of Oldents Mom's basement .........

What hidden and long forgotten mysteries will we find lurking ........?
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:26 am

zenako wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:21 am
Thumbs up for Mom's basement videos.... :D

Seriously thanks for all the painting recommendations you make all the time. It really helps many of us to expand beyond the basics and move into even nicer creations. Until DF I basically never dry brushed, it was just not a thing I did on minis.
I second this! Great insights as always, enjoy seeing your well-used workspaces!

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:21 am

Thumbs up for Mom's basement videos.... :D

Seriously thanks for all the painting recommendations you make all the time. It really helps many of us to expand beyond the basics and move into even nicer creations. Until DF I basically never dry brushed, it was just not a thing I did on minis.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:05 am

geekjeff wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:53 am
There are plenty of recipes out there for cheap, huge bulk batches of lookalike Nuln Oil (here's one which includes Agrax Earthshade too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vFcRT2wOh8

He mentions using floor polish as an option, but I'd rather spend the few extra bucks for some the proper Acrylic Medium for anything I planned to use on expensive DF pieces. I mixed up a big batch of black wash like this for my Tudor walls, using Golden Acrylics medium and Pokorny Black paint instead of ink. Worked pretty well.

I still keep some GW washes around though, the little pots are handy and plenty big for painting miniatures vs terrain and I think they're more shelf stable.
I feel like I need to make videos in Mom's basement before someone will take my advice. I have been making wash longer than some/a lot of you have been alive.
I am going to suggest Woodland Scenic Pigments. First, they do not have a binder. They are meant to be used with Woodland scenic Scenic Cement. The Scenic cement is both binder and glue. Matt Medium is also a binder. So is floor wax. If you want a glossy finish the floor wax is best.

I use the Woodland scenic pigments in a spray bottle.Then spray over with scenic cement and add flocking in one step. It is more useful in some applications to make a paint wash. The same 1/3 ratio for water, binder and paint or pigment is best.

Unless you are making a dip, some times it is best to make a few drops of wash or glaze at a time.You may add more binder or water if you are using craft paint or ink.

Some people use distilled water. I have found that a wash will stink/spoil after a while because things will grow in the water.So don't mix too much or you will have to throw it out.

Matt medium and floor wax both go along way. Both are far more cost effective than GW products.You can make any color you want.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:53 am

There are plenty of recipes out there for cheap, huge bulk batches of lookalike Nuln Oil (here's one which includes Agrax Earthshade too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vFcRT2wOh8

He mentions using floor polish as an option, but I'd rather spend the few extra bucks for some the proper Acrylic Medium for anything I planned to use on expensive DF pieces. I mixed up a big batch of black wash like this for my Tudor walls, using Golden Acrylics medium and Pokorny Black paint instead of ink. Worked pretty well.

I still keep some GW washes around though, the little pots are handy and plenty big for painting miniatures vs terrain and I think they're more shelf stable.

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:53 pm

Nuln Oil will darken your overall tone, sure, but I'd hate to know expensive washing a whole DF castle would be - you'd want something more like a wood stain or custom acrylic medium and ink mix for large quantities and a cheaper alternative. And I'd use some brown as well instead of just plain black like Nuln Oil.

~iPaint

Tenbears
Goblin
Goblin

Castles Paint Scheme

Post by Tenbears » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:46 pm

Have any of you used a wash such as Nuln Oil over the castle stone? I'm looking for a weathered looking stone with a little more contrast and not just the Gray/Brown Stones/Light Gray Drybrush look. There are a few pictures of this floating around out there but I havent figured out how to upload pics, yet.