What's your budget for KS5?

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What's your budget for KS5?

Post by jackattack » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:38 pm

Yes, I meant igg (or equivalent) as a presale ordering option, not an alternative to annual KSes.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

mcmonte
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mcmonte » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:45 pm

I went big on KS III (painted Empire with sewers and roads) and KS IV (painted Royal Stronghold with mountains).

I am aiming to spend around $500 to $1000 this time around. As a Canadian, the dollar and extra shipping really cuts into how much I can order.

I am considering spending about the same in more City Builder and Castle Builder pieces.

Gotrek-Gurnisson
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Gotrek-Gurnisson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:37 am

I prefer Kickstarter to Indiegogo. I prefer the web site layout and I like the content creators I am following on there. I've been very happy with the projects I've supported on Kickstarter and I'll gladly recommend my friends to the services there. On Indiegogo, I've supported two projects that never came to fruition and it left me a very sour taste. I prefer strong deadlines. I'm a new backer whose doesn't know much about the liability of these projects and I've only backed KSIV, but had it been on Indiegogo rather than Kickstarter, I would've been hesitant to back $500+.

That said, I'm very excited to back KSV and can see myself spending about $500-$600. I spent about $740 last year and sadly I can't make a larger investment than that. I missed out on the mountain megapack last year and focused just on Castle offerings, simply because I couldn't afford it at the time. I really don't want to miss out on the great offerings this year, so I hope that I can get a reasonable amount of product for $500-ish.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:07 am

Indiegogo might work better for a presale style KS.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:45 am

If they ran it through a crowdfunding site without a strong deadline (like Indiegogo), it wouldn't be too different from a regular kickstarter (from a logistical standpoint).
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Post by electricmotorcycles » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:45 am

Kryzsko wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:09 pm
It could be possible. It would be something they could try because 10% of 2M is not chump change (200K), and if it allowed them to cut prices by 10%.

A long time ago I talked about them doing a pre-order system for new resin sets. They would have a campaign like a mini KS that would have to hit a certain dollar amount before the order was placed and people would know up front that the items would take a year to produce after the order was placed. This would minimize them needing to store as much inventory and they would have guaranteed sales prior to production.
as much as i would like an inside sale, i doubt much money could be saved by hosting on the forums. since we will have less folk buying, DF will not be able to get as good bulk pricing, plus DF would have to manage billing which would cost money and personal [i.e. more money]. they might even need additional insurance, but i have no idea, marketing and running a business is no where near my skill sets.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 am

I don't know how worrisome the trend is. I think the end result is the end result. It really does not matter that much if 1000 people pledge 2M or 10000 people pledge 2M.

I think after KS1 backer numbers had to decline for several reasons: A lot of people who backed KS1 had what they wanted (a bunch of relatively cheap dungeon tiles), any tiles other than very basic dungeon tiles were/are going to be more expensive (even the fairly simple caverns were still more expensive because they use more complicated molds), and a lot of people don't even want anything more elaborate (they want generic tiles to replace grid paper).

I do think now is a good time to return to dungeons for several reasons: It has been long enough that people who missed out on KS1 may jump on KSV, many KS1 backers may want a few more dungeon sets (that's me), although not as cheap as KS1 tiles these should still be more affordable, my hope is that these will allow builds not possible with KS1 tiles, there will likely be some more elaborate add-ons for those of us that are willing to spend more, and dungeons always have the broadest appeal.

The odd thing is that with KS1 there were a ton more KS backers but my understanding is that DF store sales afterward were "slow", but with KS3 we had far fewer backers (brought in more money) but DF store sales were brisk afterward. Was this because most people got what they wanted out of KS1 where KS3 left people wanting more? Will KS4 be more like 1 or 3? For me, it will be more like 3. Over the next couple years, I hope to get about another grand worth of KS4. The less I end up spending on KS5 the more KS4 stuff I plan to buy from the DF store. That is why I hope I can stay closer to $500 rather than $1000 on KS5 (still on topic :mrgreen: ).

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:45 pm

I am just negotiating the price for my KSIV order....KSV? What is this KSV you blather of?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda est - et pox in KS V
WeaselWarGod

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Each backer spending more has been a strong and worrisome trend in all the DF Kickstarters.

I am interested in mroe dungeons this time around becuse I really did not get enough of them, and it is something I think will appeal to more people. Sometimes I fear I know all the KSIV backers from these forums (but I know that is ridiculous) Still, there is no way I know even a vraction of the KSI backers, and I hope we draw in a lot more people this time around.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:29 pm

I do think the number one reason that backer numbers have dropped is price or feeling like even a small buy in gets you a good deal. I do think people factor in how much they will "use this stuff" or how useful people believe a set is. I think if people believe a set is more useful for them they are more likely to stretch their budget, but everyone also has a cutoff point.

If people could have bought a Royal Stronghold for $300 in KS4 we would have had 10k backers. How useful would not have factored in, but unfortunately that was not possible.

I for one spent the most I have ever spent on a KS on Castles, and the second most on CBS. For me it was the uniqueness. I realized I would never have the opportunity to buy something like this again. I would never spend this much on basic dungeons. There are only so many basic dungeon pieces you need. With Castles I would run out of disposable income before I ran out of pieces I would like to buy. For me I saw a lot of value in the Castles in fact more than any other set, but I am looking at it for more than just playing D&D. This will be something that I will have painted and will hand down to my son. If 2 or 3 generations from now it is nothing more that one hell of a dollhouse I couldn't care less.

My budget will be relatively low this time but hopefully the lower buy-in and increased usefulness of dungeons will bring in more backers to compensate for people like me. Another dungeon set does not excite me, but it is all they other stuff Stefan has up his sleeve that does. The first dungeon set was very basic, so I am hoping this one will be more unique.

The funny thing is that KS1 only made $126,419 more dollars than KS4 but it had 3,710 more backers, so each backer spent much less.