What's your budget for KS5?

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Re: What's your budget for KS5?

Post by oddbender » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:03 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:51 pm
I really don't think the issue is price as much as it is scope.
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. I used the term Price, because I was responding to Stormfury's statement about price. However, I mostly think of it as spending, which is a combination of scope and price. However with a large scope of offerings spending starts to feel like a high price, even though prices of individual items are not high. Hopefully with a more modest scope and decent prices, average spending will not be as high, and backers will perceive the KS5 offerings as a deal. And that's good for everyone.

Lutharia89
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Lutharia89 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:43 pm

I have been trying to keep to a buying freeze for extra bits and pieces of late to store up some funds to partake. This will be my 1st live KS to participate in and am thoroughly enjoying playing in Stefan & Team's world.

It has been said elsewhere, but DF doesn't seem to be the business model to make exuberant amounts of money from selling its products. Instead it is inviting people to take a journey with them, spending a few dollars and picking up some trinkets on the way.

I will be utilizing my tax return for sure for this KS and should have a sound 1k to devout to it. Like others have said, it looks like 500-1k should be a good ballpark for those looking to expand or even start their collections!

Hope this helps!
Welcome Home.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:51 pm

First of all, i agree on the deal - i went WAY bigger on KS 1 than i intended because there was just sooo much thrown in to sweeten the pot. KS 2 felt like the stretch goals were a "built in" part of the offering. With KS 3 this was definitely the case.

I really don't think the issue is price as much as it is scope. I haven't thought any particular item was too expensive... but the menu got so large. IN KS 1 for $500 you could get a little of everything and for 1K you had a complete collection. KS 2 got more complicated, but still those same budget dollars gave you a very functional set of tiles. Even in KS 3 you could do a lot for under 1K. With KS 4 it felt like 500 wouldn't even get me much of a castle and even 1K felt incomplete - i ended up bailing and just getting towers and add ons. Had KS 4 been split across several offerings, i would have gotten more and spent more.

Zach has often expressed a desire to get "one of everything" and i think most of us feel this way. Offering less will capture largely the same $$$ (we are all discussing our budget without even knowing the offering) but sell more units of each (hence greater profitability) and leave us all feeling like we really got it all. When the 2nd offering comes along we will again buy it all. The end result is we spend twice as much (albeit over twice as long) and DF makes more per piece. The only thing stopping this business model is Stefan's child like enthusiasm to make all his ideas reality. Bless him for it, it is fun to be along for the ride, but the reality of it is fewer and fewer of us can keep up.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:32 am

Stormfury wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:56 am
Personally, I don't see the issue being the content as much as the cost as to why folks have dropped off in the more recent KSs. I'm in a fortunate situation where I could spend several thousand on this stuff, and even then felt like I missed out on some of the things I needed/wanted to do everything. Talking to a few friends who backed KS1 but haven't since, their #1 issue is price.
I do market research for a living. Although I'm more on the data side, I can tell you for a fact that the last thing a client wants to hear from us, is that the most important thing to their customer is price. The customer knows it's price, we know it's price, and most business know it's price too. Our clients would ask for their money back, if that were the best we could do.

I feel most people around here give credit to DF for creativity and passion. And recognize the quality, durability and versatility of their product in general, and dwarvenite specifically. Because we see these attributes (and perhaps others) many give DF their loyalty, and some spend relative large amounts to support these good people and their most excellent product. However, the relationship between these attributes and a person's actions (i.e. spending) can be surprisingly complex. As we've been discussing here, everyone has a budget. And what we heard a great deal in KS3 and KS4, was that people didn't see a lot of value in what they could get, or they would need to spend too much to get what they wanted.

When people "shop" on kickstarter for a product they won't receive for many months, they want a deal, decent prices, free shipping (well, at least in the US). After each kickstarter, I recall reading comments on wanting to see some items appear in the next kickstarter that are already in the store. Why? Because they want a deal. I don't think many people saw CBS as a deal, and even fewer saw the DF castle as a deal. But the average person tends to spend more when they get a deal.

I think KS5 looks promising, given the little information we have right now. But to bring back the number of backers to support a multi-million dollar kickstarter, while decreasing average spending per person, require a deal.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:56 am

I'm also a bit tapped out this time around, still recovering from KS4. I'm kind of hoping for later in May for this one. Also a bit less interested in going back to dungeons, so that might impact my spending as well.

Personally, I don't see the issue being the content as much as the cost as to why folks have dropped off in the more recent KSs. I'm in a fortunate situation where I could spend several thousand on this stuff, and even then felt like I missed out on some of the things I needed/wanted to do everything. Talking to a few friends who backed KS1 but haven't since, their #1 issue is price.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:15 am

As others have stated on these boards, KSIV was a big expenditure for me. Counting the kickstarter itself, the pledge manager, and then the pre-sale, nearly $6000 total for me. It was all painted. And I could have spent double that. I can afford it; I may be foolish with my money, but I'm not totally crazy. My point being, this one has to be down to earth. For the hinted new dungeon tiles, I'm looking to see what $600 gets me in painted tiles. That's approximately 10% my KSIV spending. I'm willing to consider another $600 to spread across the add-on options, so another 10%. And it seems like the last couple kickstarters has included a few mega surprises, streets, sewers, mountains, and themes. Those have run approximately, $200-$300 each, so let's call it another 5% my KSIV money.

The bottom line, I'll budget $1500 for painted sets and add-ons. Based upon game tile/cavern prices, I figure that gets me 5 or so sets painted, 10+ add-ons, and a mega set.

Hey DF, it's almost time for you to show us something to get our money!!!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Sorry, I started the brain flatulence. Then someone sneezed.
"all most there..."
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Wow, major threadomancy going on here. Very cool discussion, but as Red Leader said,

"Stay on target..."
"I can't shake em!"
"Stay on target."

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Walls *can* add to making sure the players are imagining the same thing the game master is. Various textures and colors can do a lot. Heiroglyphics, Brick, Runes, Geometrical patterns, Simple Stones, Hewn Stone, Natural Caverns... each say something different about the scene. The hints we have seen seem to be looking dwarven... or even romanesqeue... Those types of environments would be very appealing. Walls also make it much easier to determine line of sight.

That being said, larger battles tend to work better (easier?) without walls, especially if there is a lot of movement. But, as was mentioned above, we tend to use a mat for those scenarios... I like the layouts we saw in KS4 images of the wall-less corridors and use of elevations. Very intriguing.

I would be very interested in both additional wall and floor types.

As to my budget... there is no number in my mind yet... depends greatly on the offerings and timing.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:04 pm

I hope to keep it around $1000.00 but I know that woun't happen ;)