What's your budget for KS5?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What's your budget for KS5?

Post by dice4hire » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:53 pm

I would go for a big floor pack for general purposes, but I also like the walls and want to keep them. I have laid out maps before with only floor tiles, and that is great for a lot of corridors, but the walls just add a lot more appeal for me.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Just to counterpoint... i LOVE walls - tiles without walls are just a Chessex mat.

Tactically the walls outside the room don't add much, but on the inside they make the fight more fun. Divided rooms, floating partitions, L shaped rooms - these are the things that make an encounter entertaining and for that i need walls!

That said, i am all for a big floor only pack for those who game differently than me!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:22 pm

I do think much like KS1, KS5 is likely to bring in more new people. My favorite KS was Castles but I know I am in the minority. I think as a whole dungeons have the broadest appeal and lowest cost of entry.

I could also see a wall-less or wall optional mega pack bringing in fence sitters. I think the trick to bringing in a ton of new blood would be to offer a wall-less mega pack. Not just plain 2x2" floors, but also some specialty pieces like the fantasy floors, traps, ruined negative space with chasm like pieces, 8x8", 1x2", 2x4", 1x4", 4x4", 4x6", 1x1", curved floor, diagonal floor, and so on. Each floor piece could have holes for CBS posts so you can make elevated areas.

Honestly, for dungeons I don't think the walls add much (maybe with some LEDs they will) I personally don't mind the walls but sometimes it is nice to have the option to not have them in the way (narrow corridors). I like using walls for larger more open rooms, and just floors for most passage ways. I find that narrow passageways are more trouble than they are worth.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:09 pm

It could be possible. It would be something they could try because 10% of 2M is not chump change (200K), and if it allowed them to cut prices by 10%.

A long time ago I talked about them doing a pre-order system for new resin sets. They would have a campaign like a mini KS that would have to hit a certain dollar amount before the order was placed and people would know up front that the items would take a year to produce after the order was placed. This would minimize them needing to store as much inventory and they would have guaranteed sales prior to production.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Here are the plain numbers of Forum Members to KS Backers.

Forum Members = 6572 (some are long gone prior to KS as a thing)

KS#1 had 5398 with 1,107 new to KS (I was new to KS) so 4291 who had backed previous KS's, but new to D.F.
KS#2 had 3950 with 280 of them new to KS, leaving +/- 3670 from KS#1 (I know it's not all of them, but a lot)
KS#3 had 2520 with 199 of them new to KS, leaving +/- 2521 from KS#2 (ditto)
KS#4 had 1604 with 84 of them new to KS, leaving +/- 1520 from KS#3 (ditto)

I would like to know how many of the three KS after #1 had New D.F. Backers not just new to KS.
The second numbers shown are new to KS in general (563 total new to KS in successive campaigns), not just the D.F. KS, but the totals kept dropping off as a whole.
I think if they could hold costs down (remembering their profit is a small percentage of the whole) and notify both past KS backers from all four KS's and all the Forum Members there is potential for a very large amount of backers and possibility to keep the price to each buyer down. I would hazard to guess that most of us are repeat backers only bringing in a small percentage of newbies.

As I said it's just a thought, but with some numbers to think about.

EDIT - I only joined KS because of Dwarven Forge, though I have done some since and I think one that finished before theirs did. Also I think there are a lot of Forum Members that just read and don't post, so sending an Email out to them would help bolster the number of non-KS types.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:38 pm

I would now buy in if they did a campaign through their website, but it is unlikely that they would bring in any new backers. I found out about Dwarven Forge during KS1. If it weren't for KS I think there are many of us that would not know about DF. I think it is as much of a marketing tool as anything. Even slightly bigger companies like Reaper and CMoN who have way more web traffic still use KS.

That being said it could be a fun experiment.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Target audience, William. :) All of us loyalists will hit the KS anyway and the 10% they have to pay to KS is dwarfed by the non-forum members' pledges.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:10 pm

I keep thinking 'Why is D.F. using K.S. to do these sales events?' They have over a thousand more Forum members (albeit some are older and gone) than the #1 KS-1 amount of backers. With the right program and figuring out a way to contact the forum members, couldn't it be just as successful and cheaper for them to do it in house? Most of us would do it whether thru KS or not. Maybe do a small one to test a new system out without the K.S. fee hit.
Just a thought rolling through my gray head. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:27 am

Lostpict, your daughter knows they only do this once per year, right? She can get married any time! ;)
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:34 am

My daughter is getting married the end of March, so I convinced myself to go large for KS4 and this spring the wallet is on life support.

I have tons of resin dungeon /cavern stuff and 5 sets of DF1, but I mostly use the resin stuff for below ground and prefer above ground adventures and war games. Although, the DF5 leaks are interesting, I suspect I will mostly pass unless a fair bit of CBS / Castle compatible stuff appears on the edges or this is a dwarf mine / kingdom focused theme.

The good news for me is the delay of the KS5 past the nuptials.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com