A Suggestion for the Kickstarter #5

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: A Suggestion for the Kickstarter #5

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:02 pm

I ---REALLY--- want a normal 2x2 footprint cavern tile with a diagonal wall in an organic shape. Pretty please.

EDIT: Or better yet, a wall that pivots like a secret door in the center of the tile.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:25 am

dice4hire wrote:I remember Stefan saying that in KSIII they spent something like 1.5 to 1.8 million in molds, so the real pledge might well be 2 million. That is a really scary number.
That would be for the total KS real pledge needed total with all the add-on sets.

But the real pledge goal dollar amount needed was much less than 2 million but much more than $50,000 IMO

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:08 am

I remember Stefan saying that in KSIII they spent something like 1.5 to 1.8 million in molds, so the real pledge might well be 2 million. That is a really scary number.

I suppose my biggest wish for KSV is a simple base pledge like KSI and II and then complexity in the add-ons. It would be cheaper for DF to have a three to five piece base mold and then lethe add-ons pay for themselves. I was quite honestly worried during KSIV when I saw all the add-ons coming out without money to back them up. I was worried DF was painting themselves into a financial black hole. I hope I am totally wrong, but just in case preorder all you can everyone.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:22 am

dice4hire wrote:A million really seems like a lot of money.
I agree

The idea was to stop putting a fake overly low pledge goal but the real goal.

I would hope the real goal for the above proposed KS5 could be less than a million.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:13 pm

period3 wrote:I'd just get rid of the stretch goals. In KS4 they didn't seem to serve any purpose -- most of the pledges that included stretch goals had an increased price, and all of the stretch goal pieces with maybe one or two exceptions were available as add-ons. I never had the impression the stretch goals were free or discounted, so why have them at all? Just make the stretch goals paid add-ons, and everyone can just buy what they want.
WEll, KSIV was a very different beast from KSI, II and III as the prebuilt expert sets were all different form the 1, 2, 5 and 10 sets of the first three KSes.

I do wonder how KSIV would have worked with a less prebuilt bias and a more construct your own bias like the first three Kses. Not sure how the sets could have worked, but basic walls and corners could have possibly been good.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:10 pm

kodiakbear wrote:@ dice4hire

I can think of many plausibly reasons but why do you think starting at a higher pledge goal is a not good idea.
I just think it is a lot harder to meet a high goal than it is to hit a low goal and a bunch of stretches. Maybe not in reality, but I think the perception is there. People like to feel that this Ks is being done. If the KS is still not funded for a long time due to a really high initial goal, I think it could drive people off. A million really seems like a lot of money.

And the change from what has gone before will have a lot of people asking why things have changed.

To be honest I know DF has to get at least a million, or 1.5 or even 2 to even be able to make all the molds especially how Stefan has been increasingly throwing in the kitchen sink with these kickstarters. Even with KSI, the initial funding goal of 50k is not possible, and if DF got only 51k in funding they would have been forced to cancel the KS as they could never make molds and do production and shipping even the limited number of base sets the 51k would represent. The further KSes were even more so.

The 1 million starting goal seems interesting, and is probably realistic with what DF really needs to run the KS, but it is a big change and I see no upsides.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Kodiakbear, I think something along those lines would work.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:10 pm

@ dice4hire

I can think of many plausibly reasons but why do you think starting at a higher pledge goal is a not good idea.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:00 pm

@ period3

I would agree that in KS4 stretch goals didn't end up serving any purpose due to how the KS ending up going. And if DF did KS5 similar as I proposed above then stretch goals would likely be more of a problem than being worth.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:15 pm

I'd just get rid of the stretch goals. In KS4 they didn't seem to serve any purpose -- most of the pledges that included stretch goals had an increased price, and all of the stretch goal pieces with maybe one or two exceptions were available as add-ons. I never had the impression the stretch goals were free or discounted, so why have them at all? Just make the stretch goals paid add-ons, and everyone can just buy what they want.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 5 Discussion”