A Suggestion for the Kickstarter #5

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: A Suggestion for the Kickstarter #5

Post by Harneloot » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:51 am

Runeweaver wrote:I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm hoping that it won't be catacombs. I have plenty of those sets in resin. And, they are designed very similar to the existing dwarvenite sets (2x2 layout) in general, so it would offer nothing to the person (like me) who already has plenty of 2x2 layout sets. Caverns in resin have a different layout (4x4?) then dwarvenite, so I can see a need (desire) to have both.
Agreed - I have plenty in resin and do not want/need it in Dwarvenite. I believe the web-site says that they will be restocked in November, yes? So that will be nice for the collectors who do not yet have enough of them.

What about if the next KS had, as base pledges, *upgrades sets* to the first three existing KS? Then when you pledged for one, two, three, five or ten sets you could pick and choose which of these *upgrade* sets you wanted, with stretch goals adding extra/multiple pieces to the base sets? Add-ons could be specific things like a new advanced water tile set or Fantasy Floors set etc?

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:19 am

Runeweaver wrote:I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm hoping that it won't be catacombs. I have plenty of those sets in resin. And, they are designed very similar to the existing dwarvenite sets (2x2 layout) in general, so it would offer nothing to the person (like me) who already has plenty of 2x2 layout sets. Caverns in resin have a different layout (4x4?) then dwarvenite, so I can see a need (desire) to have both.
I only have one catacomb set. It has been out of stock. I would like more.
I am approaching the point I do not have enough storage space.I did not take part in KS I because I have enough 2X2 sets in that style. I do not have enough floor tiles in the catacomb style. I have been a customer long enough to be picky about what I add too.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:51 am

See, that is the problem. Everyone wants something different and conversely doesn't want something different. Every time someone throws out a suggestion someone else says "if that's the case I am out". I don't see an easy path to pulling in two million dollars. DF may need to go back to resin sets as they don't require as many takers. Sure they are more expensive but they allow a small niche run.

I worry that KS5 could be a disaster for DF.

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:15 am

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm hoping that it won't be catacombs. I have plenty of those sets in resin. And, they are designed very similar to the existing dwarvenite sets (2x2 layout) in general, so it would offer nothing to the person (like me) who already has plenty of 2x2 layout sets. Caverns in resin have a different layout (4x4?) then dwarvenite, so I can see a need (desire) to have both.

jimibones83
Orc
Orc

Post by jimibones83 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:14 pm

It seems like a second go of dungeon ties would be a waste to me. You can already buy them off the page whenever you want.

Whatever we get, I'm of the crowd hoping to see a catacomb add on

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:39 am

Kryzsko wrote:The people in charge must have a plan and it will be fun watching it play out. I know my budget for KS5 will be under 1K, and I spent over 3K on KS4.

The only things I know I want: Moat set, LED socket dungeon and cavern walls, magnet dungeon and cavern walls, advanced CBS set in Tudor, and a city garden set.
I would be very interested in this list too :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:29 am

Spect, I really feel for you.

I know many people had terrible trouble figuring out KSIV, especially breaking out or breaking in the towers on the corners. What a nightmare to figure that out. Even very experienced DFers were stumbling around in confusion.

I think for the castles, try to figure out the largest thing you want to build and the next two configurations you are likely to use and buy what you need for them.

I have a table 28 inches wide ( 7 wall sections) and my biggest build is likely 4 sections, a corner and then six more sections for a corner castle fight. The next is a wall across my table, so I bought jsut enough for it. In the end I upped from a guardhouse and some walls for a castle for the stretch goals.

KSIV was so very different from previous builds it was hard. On the plus side, there are very nice builder block sets available in the August preorder and KS ( and I assume retail that will make getting walls very easy and intuitive. For these I mean the wall spacer pack, modular walls and wall platform packs. They will make expanding things easy.

I do not have any idea how many of the fancy add-on sets will hit retail though. I suspect not all of them.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

spect_spidey
Goblin
Goblin

Post by spect_spidey » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:27 am

Being new to DF, I think that regardless of what is in the new Kickstart; they need to do a better job of explaining or showing what the various pieces can be good for. I know dungeon was the first KS. But when I go into the shop and see all the different expansions, I am not sure what purpose some of them serve. And if I don't know what purpose a set serves, then I am not going to spend $45 to $60 on it. I had just started with DF when the August pre-sale was going on. I didn't understand how some of these sets tied in with each other. So I didn't order any. I have to date bought 1 dungeon set w/KS rewards, 2 City Builder w/KS rewards, 1 Caverns, 1 Alternate Caverns, 1 Cavern Floors, and 1 Cavern Freestanding Walls. Why did I choose these options? Because it was easy to understand their purpose and how they would work together. The castle items, I had a hard time figuring out how they interacted with each other. The same goes for some of the bevelled dungeon tiles. But I also think it would be good to break the basics down farther. For example, sell sets of 10 to 20 dungeon corners and do the same for the other basic pieces. Allow people to expand gradually. I need more corners, but in order to get them I will need to either buy another basic set that gets me 6 or buy curved walls that will give me 16 of them. Neither solution is ideal for me, but if I could buy 16 corners for the same price. That would meet my needs.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:29 am

Setting the KS goal for profitability is virtually impossible as they dont really know. how many pledges will appear? Of course they could figure it out for the base set, but considering how in KS3 a lot of pieces were stretch goals which were intended from the beginning to be in the base pledges it is a very hazy line what is the base and what is not.

Plus, I don't want to sit and wait for a 2mil base to slowly slooooowly sllllllllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwlllllllllllllllly fund. Waiting for a 100k stretch goal is bad enough.

I would like to see DF de-emphasize the pledge manager pledges and try to get it more above board in the actual campaign. SOme campaigns offer new stretch goals during the PM but DF never has done that or even hinted at how much extra the PM brings in. I understand some people need that extra paycheck or two to get what they want but still it seems like a murky end run to me.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:29 am

The people in charge must have a plan and it will be fun watching it play out. I know my budget for KS5 will be under 1K, and I spent over 3K on KS4.

The only things I know I want: Moat set, LED socket dungeon and cavern walls, magnet dungeon and cavern walls, advanced CBS set in Tudor, and a city garden set.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 5 Discussion”