A Suggestion for the Kickstarter #5

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: A Suggestion for the Kickstarter #5

Post by jchunick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:49 pm

I'd like to say, 'yes' to those trees in your pic, but I need links and company names that sell those beauties :-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:47 am

Follow the Yellow brick road :?: I told you the scarecrow did not have a brain. :lol:

Oldman Willow says "Just say no to PVC trees"
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

BaneofHumanity
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BaneofHumanity » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:44 am

Kachina wrote:
Well, yes.... it is a forum for KS 5 in general.... however, I personally am trying to build support for a dwarven forge and dwarf themed stuff. The more support I can generate, the more likely it will be taken into consideration by DF staff. Also since the woodlands set and sci-fi set never really took off i doubt they will continue with those ideas...
Oh you misunderstand. I didn't mean a woodland theme (I'm not a fan of that either). What I meant was fort style walls. I was sort of hoping it would have been part of the castle KS. As I simply wanted walls in a similar fashion but wood for outposts and small villages. Sort of like the difference between Tudor and Stone in KS 3.

While I wouldn't mind dwarven themed accoutrements. I don't know if it would be worth it to make an entire new building design for it. Perhaps different designs for walls might be an idea though....

I think if they are going to go all out on this new system. they need more wall designs. Perhaps bigger floor pieces...8x8 or something to make Inns.
6 Billion cries of agony, will birth a new balance.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:38 am

Before you ask ;)

converting a paper building

I think a Dwarven brewery would be cool.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:13 am

I want to talk about a Dwarven theme.I am always interested.
WIP of the Battle Of Five Armies movie set.

I think ruins and dwarves make a great theme. I have been working on new plans for the upper works now that I have the Movie.

Grand stairs and columns are very modular.

Stairs for the evil fortress

The Griffin Tamer gate

The evil forest

Ruins of the Necropolis

Stairs columns and ruins :!: :!:

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:54 am

The Woodland Set, although beautiful, suffered from conceptual, design, and execution problems.

In my fantasy worlds, elves don't live in clearings between dense thickets, nor in structures made from "directed growth". The set tries to straddle a line between artificial structure and natural growth, and (for me) misses both.

The Woodlands Set relied far too heavily on the basic shapes from the dungeon and MBS sets before it. Square corners should have been the exception, and round corners the rule. Straight walls could have been changed into shallow S curves, and/or all of the walls could have been given even more texture and depth and used the entire inch in the squares that are already partially occupied by walls.

And all of the pieces didn't fit correctly with all of the other pieces, which should have been caught in the development or prototype phases. The reduced modularity was noticed immediately, which left customers who were on the fence about the concept and design firmly on the dissatisfied side.

My preference for a woodland set would be freestanding walls of densely packed tree trunks that I could put on a mat (grid or hex) to define paths through a forest. No floors saves on materials, and allows walls to be joined at any angle. Curves and irregular bases make the freestanding walls stable. By limiting the walls to trunks and branches, unpainted sets can be custom painted for various effects including mossy, dead, diseased, and unearthly colors. Negative space can be left clear for miniatures (half movement or less within the trees, full concealment and partial cover) or filled with colored packing straw for foliage (green for spring and summer, brown or red for autumn, white for winter).

My preference for elvish architecture is actually convential but fine and detailed construction, whether stone or wood. If the sculpt was done right, unpainted versions might appeal to buyers who want to paint the pieces as wood or stone, or mix the two. (Where the mountain ends, the dwarves stopped carving stone and started carving wood.)
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 am

I agree for SF roleplay, but tons of SF wargamers out there. I used DF SF for Tomorrow's War and it was a big hit. Blog post - https://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/2011/10/0 ... 08oct2011/

Flickr:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjwiURPp
Last edited by lostpict on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:06 am

We rolled up Traveler characters yesterday.I offered to bring my Sci fi Sets. The group decided.Both the Game master and I have complete DF Sci Fi sets. The groups wants to use the paper maps.I am afraid there are not enough people playing Sci Fi Role playing games for there to be a large market.

The woodland set is beautiful. I have a complete set with accessories.The right angles bother me more than the fit.The floor tiles were unique to the set and did not blend well with the others sets. I am afraid too many people believed they did not have a need for the set or any idea of how to incorporate it into a roleplay world.

I will not be in the market for PVC trees. I think some CBS gardens might be nice.Rows of grape vines or roses for example.

I don't want you to talk Mr. Potter I want you to die :!: ;)

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:36 am

I think sci-fi had two main problems -- focus and scope.

Focus, in that even though it was fairly generic, it was still sort of an industrial kind of sci-fi. Lots of steel, grates all over, some exposed wiring etc. It was well executed, but still kind of matched a lot of things already on the market, and didn't (despite clear green doors and accessories that came later) really look very high tech or futuristic.

Scope, in that there just wasn't enough variety in the pieces. IIRC (and I may not) sci-fi never had more than a couple of basic sets available at any one time, and didn't address very specific sci-fi tropes until previous sets had almost been forgotten.

As a kickstarter, sci-fi could introduce two or three distinctive sci-fi designs at the same time. Transition piece add-ons would allow them to tie the designs together, and a high funding goal would cover potential differences in pledge levels between the designs. Mapping out add-ons and announcing them well in advance (or offering some of them up front) would assure backers that expansions were on the way and promote pledging based on reasonable expectations instead of speculation or vague non-committal statements.

Without stepping on anybody's trademarks, DF would need to hit various sci-fi tropes quick and hard. Bridge, medical, power and engines, gunnery stations (gun inside a semicircular force field window?), trans-porter/mat-s, shuttle bay doors, brigs are practical must-haves. Drop-bays, sensor stations, science labs, stasis pods, robot alcoves, and more are nice extras.

For overall themes, I suggest the current DF sci-fi industrial, iPod future, and advanced alien tech.

Note that many sci-fi items can be done as accessories that can be slotted into sci-fi tiles, or placed in other DF lines. For example, industrial sci-fi in dungeons would be great for retro pulp adventures, and iPod future in caverns would be great for mad supergenious scenarios.
Last edited by jackattack on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:29 am

jackattack wrote: Also, woodlands and sci-fi suffered from issues that a kickstarter might address from day one. I think those sets might be revisited in high funding goal "off-season" KSes, or as add-ons/sidelines in a regular but less focused KS.

I'm curious about how you think the KS could address issues with sci-fi sets. I have a few ideas on how to improve the woodland stuff -- obviously, getting it to work together without gaps and work with other sets generally is high on the list, but I'd also like to see more free-standing tree clumps and uneven treelines, so you can make a more organic outdoor woodland area and less a "neat and orderly" Elven labyrinth made of trees (which all fit together at neat 90 degree angles, etc.).

But I have no idea how to make the SF stuff a better seller. I thought the DF SF line was basically unimpeachable -- it was generic enough to work as several different kinds of settings, it looked AMAZING, and the expansion sets gave it really phenomenal colorful details. Clear green doors! Opening panels in the floor with mechanical details underneath! The ramps with viewscreens in them, the modular terminal stations. All great.

Plus, it worked really well with so many existing sets. With dungeons and caverns, it could be a great 60's type sci-fi environment. The "computer in a cave" was almost a cliche in things back then -- yes, Batman, but also episodes of the Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Forbidden Planet. And then if you used Hellscape, you could have a lava planet. Very evocative.

The only thing I would have liked to have seen would have been "theme packs" which combined accessories and a small number of building elements to lend some specificity to the locations you could build. We did get railings and a command chair which worked for a starship bridge, but I'd have liked to have seen things like a large viewscreen so you could REALLY make a bridge. And engine parts for an engine room, a large crane and cargo crates for a transport vessel, lab type equipment for a research station, cryo tubes, etc.

And yet the stuff never sold nearly as much as the fantasy line. Honestly, I'm not sure what DF could have done differently - so I'm very curious to hear what you think. Maybe it's just a matter of marketing, the way online purchases and marketing have come to dominate in the time since DF launched the sci-fi line. Maybe even as a niche product, it could reach exponentially more people now, with KS and FB to promote it. But the substance of it, I honestly don't see what else they could do.