Any chance this KS will let us get some KS 1 basic tiles?

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Any chance this KS will let us get some KS 1 basic tiles?

Post by unclebilly » Sun May 14, 2017 10:20 am

biowizard wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:41 pm
I'm not as "connected" with the DF staff as I used to be in prior kickstarters, but I just want to point out that I have been lobbying HARD behind the scene so that we get advanced Game Tiles KS1-style pieces. I still don't know if my harassment worked...
+1 for this

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun May 14, 2017 7:54 am

GODofwar wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 11:40 pm
jchunick wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 am
I would venture to guess that the reason has to do with the cost of creating new steel molds for KS5. A minimum number of pieces is required to figure out the base cost of a piece... in fact, I think I've gone through all this before in another thread. Anyways, the point is that if a decision was made to include the option to buy KS1 pieces, then it'd make the most sense to include that post-KS in the pledge manager. I have no inside information on any of this and am speculating as a backer, like everyone else.
In my experience, steel molds casting something like Dwarvenite are not going to wear out fast. Mold wear is largely a function of three things: Material molded - injection pressure - injection temperature.

I can't believe dwarvenite is corrosive enough for that to be a problem, and it is not hard enough to be.

I doubt injection pressure is extremely high; I guess dwarvenite is fluid enough not to require high injection pressure in order to get proper detail, cavity fill and no bubbles.

Finally, I am guessing dwarvenite is injected at a very low temperature compared to the temperature capacity of a steel mold.

I suggest the issue is that DwF needs to get in production schedule a long way out. Unless they had planned a restock/special order to supplement KS5, they couldn't do so now.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
This was not how I meant what I wrote. I should explain it better. I wasn't at all talking about how fast a mold wears out. I realize that's what others before me were talking about, so I get that after reading their posts and then reading my semi-vague one it would seem like I was saying that, too.

Here's what I meant:
During a KS there's limited time and ostensibly limited funds unless the backer number goes up. If that's the case then a limited amount of money goes into KS5 to create KS5 pieces. Prices are worked out based off minimum run numbers for each piece in KS5. In my post I was referring to another discussion where I broke down all the costs associated with creating a piece (cost to sculpt the piece, cost to create the mold, to paint it, to ship it, etc.). So my thinking was that if you take money out of KS5 to pay for KS1 then you potentially endanger covering those minimum runs needed which then eat into your funds. I am likely completely wrong on this, it was just a thought - but it had nothing to do with the conversation about molds wearing out. :-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat May 13, 2017 11:50 pm

I am not sure I understand the concern for the integrity of the molds... they already use them once or twice a year to generate pieces for a restock.... don't they? Where else would they get the pieces?

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat May 13, 2017 11:40 pm

jchunick wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 am
I would venture to guess that the reason has to do with the cost of creating new steel molds for KS5. A minimum number of pieces is required to figure out the base cost of a piece... in fact, I think I've gone through all this before in another thread. Anyways, the point is that if a decision was made to include the option to buy KS1 pieces, then it'd make the most sense to include that post-KS in the pledge manager. I have no inside information on any of this and am speculating as a backer, like everyone else.
In my experience, steel molds casting something like Dwarvenite are not going to wear out fast. Mold wear is largely a function of three things: Material molded - injection pressure - injection temperature.

I can't believe dwarvenite is corrosive enough for that to be a problem, and it is not hard enough to be.

I doubt injection pressure is extremely high; I guess dwarvenite is fluid enough not to require high injection pressure in order to get proper detail, cavity fill and no bubbles.

Finally, I am guessing dwarvenite is injected at a very low temperature compared to the temperature capacity of a steel mold.

I suggest the issue is that DwF needs to get in production schedule a long way out. Unless they had planned a restock/special order to supplement KS5, they couldn't do so now.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sat May 13, 2017 9:41 pm

I'm not as "connected" with the DF staff as I used to be in prior kickstarters, but I just want to point out that I have been lobbying HARD behind the scene so that we get advanced Game Tiles KS1-style pieces. I still don't know if my harassment worked...

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 am

Awesome!

DFSuzy
Orc
Orc

Post by DFSuzy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 pm
DFSuzy wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm
Hi Guys,

We do have most KS1 product in stock or in production, and expect most (if not all) KS1 product will be available to KS5 backers. I wouldn’t, however, expect lower pricing for existing product at any time — and this includes KS1 items during the upcoming KS. It is possible that we’ll offer existing pieces from KS1 in a new configuration, but we honestly haven’t sorted through that yet.

Importantly, everyone should — as always — expect special (lower) KS pricing during the campaign only for the brand new KS5 product.

Thanks everyone!
The only thing I might expect with getting KS1 during a Kickstarter would be some break in shipping costs, since it would be combined with some other items. I know the margins aren't huge for these products, but it would be a good idea to have at least some small incentive to ordering the KS1 tiles during the campaign as it helps push the total and should mix very well with the new stuff.
We always offer free shipping to US backers, and very reduced rates for international customers. Thanks!

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 pm

DFSuzy wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm
Hi Guys,

We do have most KS1 product in stock or in production, and expect most (if not all) KS1 product will be available to KS5 backers. I wouldn’t, however, expect lower pricing for existing product at any time — and this includes KS1 items during the upcoming KS. It is possible that we’ll offer existing pieces from KS1 in a new configuration, but we honestly haven’t sorted through that yet.

Importantly, everyone should — as always — expect special (lower) KS pricing during the campaign only for the brand new KS5 product.

Thanks everyone!
The only thing I might expect with getting KS1 during a Kickstarter would be some break in shipping costs, since it would be combined with some other items. I know the margins aren't huge for these products, but it would be a good idea to have at least some small incentive to ordering the KS1 tiles during the campaign as it helps push the total and should mix very well with the new stuff.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Huzzah!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

DFSuzy
Orc
Orc

Post by DFSuzy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks everyone!