Tree Sets

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Tree Sets

Post by Oldent » Sun May 07, 2017 1:12 pm

I waited until it was 70% off.

I have looked for paper punches too.

Greenstuf Word has some nice small leaves punches.No luck on spider webs yet.

"I don't think it is realistic to think of an entire playable village in a single terrain-tree."

I don't think it realistic for Dwarven Forge to make one. I remember one Mary Lee made 15 or 20 years ago.I do not know if I can find the photo. I will look.

1999 I think
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 am

The base was always going to be as wide or wider than the platform/building above it -- that's the only way to prevent overbalancing when one side of the platform or building has more weight on it -- and the base of the trunk was always going to be very firmly fixed to it.

----------

I strongly prefer platforms that wall-and-floor pieces can be placed on. It allows the buildings to be used on the tabletop as well as on the tree platforms, and it allows the tree platforms to be rendered as part of the tree for adventures that don't involve a treetop village.

----------

I don't think it is realistic to think of an entire playable village in a single terrain-tree.

If we are talking about round structures, we know from experience that a 4" diameter circle with walls only has 4 complete squares inside it. If the grid is shifted by 1/2", that might increase to 10 playable squares, but the room is still only 3 squares across.

In my opinion, if a round building in a tree is going to be less than 6" in diameter, it might as well be a single piece depicting the entire building exterior, because it isn't very useful for miniatures combat.

----------

Spider web platforms...? BRILLIANT!

I was at the craft store yesterday looking for webs in the paper-punch and jewelry-notions sections, but no luck. I'll try again at/after Halloween.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sun May 07, 2017 11:37 am

I used these. Yea I know they are not grand looking but they are more parctical for RPGing. You can put minis on them and they fold up for easy storage and transportation. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wo ... -table-top

For looks I also have some of these. https://www.dungeoncrawler.com/store/in ... er=product

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun May 07, 2017 10:29 am

LordDust wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 5:15 am
I have too many projects that are either only concepts and a bit of planning... one is making a large tree that can house a small outpost or tiny village from some of the cardboard tubes I've collected from work. One of the ideas I had for counter weighting was just making a small container of sand to put inside the trunk. Combined with a "root system" for the exposed lower trunk this might make it stable enough. Shipping it wouldn't be cheap, but such a solution could work for weighting the lower end of the trunk to counter weight higher up.

How about making the sand bag a separate component- so that it is only used when "assembled". Ship/transport sans the "bag o dirt", then fill with whatever (sand, dirt, pennies, etc.) at destination.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun May 07, 2017 5:15 am

I have too many projects that are either only concepts and a bit of planning... one is making a large tree that can house a small outpost or tiny village from some of the cardboard tubes I've collected from work. One of the ideas I had for counter weighting was just making a small container of sand to put inside the trunk. Combined with a "root system" for the exposed lower trunk this might make it stable enough. Shipping it wouldn't be cheap, but such a solution could work for weighting the lower end of the trunk to counter weight higher up.

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Post by electricmotorcycles » Sat May 06, 2017 9:37 pm

i thought about making trees with places to put minis, however, that would make the job difficult and the end product would be cumbersome. instead i plan to just use simple trees and have a series of height stands to put miniatures on.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat May 06, 2017 9:25 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 4:56 pm
jackattack wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 am
I hope we aren't (just) talking about KS3 buildings, but as long as the base is large enough to hold the tree stable, I think the pieces on the platform will be fine. Bridges and walkways between trees might need to be added carefully (as a single piece?) but probably won't be heavy enough to upset two very stably based platforms.
I think KS3 buiildings to be put in trees would be out, because the floor base is already 4x4 and you probably wouldn't be able to mount it onto a tree base and have multiple sets side by side (they'd overlap).

If this were to be successful as a modular system then we'd likely need to consider an integral base, maybe a 3" diameter round treehouse floor, with its own round "tower" walls and roof. Peg holes in the floor to hold in the walls and peg holes or magnet in the round side to attach accessories like walkways.

OR

Use a bigger base, such as 6x6 or 8x8, and sculpt a wood variant of the 4" round floors and floor extensions. Sculpt a tree base that can mount either these or a 4x4 KS 3 wood floor.
"A Big bada Base"

It would not have to be as comical as the aquarium ent. It would need to be big for a village.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat May 06, 2017 9:00 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:29 pm
Oldent the spider-cut platforms have all sorts of possibilities..where do you get 'em?

Nice talking with you yesterday.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS delenda sunt
I purchased them during Halloween season at Michaels. I purchased some with coupons and picked up all the rest at 70% off sales.

I experimented with purple gallery glass. The small webs are for cupcakes.

4 bot walls and cup cake web.

I might use some of these for spider nest.

My halloween Games are far from serious.

But well attended.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat May 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Oldent,

I like those aquarium plants. Last year I bought a long garland at Hobby-Lobby that has fairly small leaves (even smaller than those shown here) and broke it down to it's individual leaf clusters (2" to 4" sizes with a half dozen 'branches' on each piece) and hope to use those in some trees. I'll post someday when I get to them, so far I've only fiddled with them a bit.

I also like the web/platform idea too, very clever.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat May 06, 2017 4:56 pm

jackattack wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 am
I hope we aren't (just) talking about KS3 buildings, but as long as the base is large enough to hold the tree stable, I think the pieces on the platform will be fine. Bridges and walkways between trees might need to be added carefully (as a single piece?) but probably won't be heavy enough to upset two very stably based platforms.
I think KS3 buiildings to be put in trees would be out, because the floor base is already 4x4 and you probably wouldn't be able to mount it onto a tree base and have multiple sets side by side (they'd overlap).

If this were to be successful as a modular system then we'd likely need to consider an integral base, maybe a 3" diameter round treehouse floor, with its own round "tower" walls and roof. Peg holes in the floor to hold in the walls and peg holes or magnet in the round side to attach accessories like walkways.

OR

Use a bigger base, such as 6x6 or 8x8, and sculpt a wood variant of the 4" round floors and floor extensions. Sculpt a tree base that can mount either these or a 4x4 KS 3 wood floor.