Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Modular Pirate Ship add-on pack

Post by William » Wed May 24, 2017 2:53 pm

lostpict wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:37 am
...you could build flying Spelljammers, Aeroneffs, and Martian Skiffs.

The sky is the limit!
The sky is so restrictive,

.................What about getting lost in space...................................................................
.....................................or float around the ether.................................................................
.............................................or possibly even skip... through... dimensions on gossamer wings.......
................... yust sayin. .......... :) ............................ ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Runeweaver wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 am
Old Glory, Anisty, Cobblestone, and many, many others have this one sewn shut. They are decently affordable (more so than DF) and are detailed. AND moveable. I don't think that one is going to move around too easily. If DF did modular ships, this trog would be out. Way out. I wouldn't even be remotely interested.

All that said, clever design and imagination used to make these builds. I applaud that, and appreciate the thought behind it. Regardless, I would want a durable resin model over a pieced together DF ship.

Docks on the other hand are a different deal. At least the type that I am thinking of, something that could be used traditionally, or more like scaffolding from the Goblin King that builds up.
Well, I think the DwF one is moveable easily enough...but it doesn' have the detail. I have OG ships, but not the others...I like the flexibility over the detail personally. I use the 1/300 OG sailing ships.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed May 24, 2017 10:37 am

I am a ship-aholic and in real life a Naval Engineer. So it is not surprising, I have the MBA ships mentioned below, many of the Old Glory ships (both age of sail, colonial and even modern), the now OOP Renaissance Miniatures fleet of laser cut ships, and even some VSF Airships - plus a few others here and there. I fortunately have a large gaming studio with space to store them.

That said, the ability to make a ship with a DF modular building system is very appealing and imminently storable. I think they key concept that needs to be included is some sort of locking system (just as the posts lock CBS builds together) so that they ships can be moved without falling apart.

I also realized that I did not include any lower hull components in my parts list, but it would be cool to add the keel and bottom hull plates so that you could build flying Spelljammers, Aeroneffs, and Martian Skiffs.

The sky is the limit!
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

ROUexcommunicated
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ROUexcommunicated » Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 am

I have an Anisty Galleon, or whatever the largest ship is called, but it is too big for many uses. In Warhammer FRPG, the party had it's own river barge and in a test game for DnD next we had a battle on a small river boat. Though the galleon has the potential to look very spectacular, I've spent 8 hours painting it and am still far from finished, not including attaching all the fittings. It weighs about 10 pounds (5kg) and if I dropped it on a tile floor from table height I suspect both would be damaged in expensive ways. Also, I can't take the stern deck off to allow characters to fight a pirate in the captains cabin. If I had a complex ship set up, I'm not sure I would want to move it. I would just take the jetty away and say "You're now at sea". If I had to move it, I'd build it on a small chopping board/cheese board or similar.
As with the CBS, DF is not the most artistically perfect buildings one can buy though they are near the quality of the best, but I feel they are the most practical mixture of flexibility and artistic style for real world RPG's, and hope a ship set would be likewise.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Wed May 24, 2017 8:06 am

Runeweaver wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 am
Old Glory, Anisty, Cobblestone, and many, many others have this one sewn shut. They are decently affordable (more so than DF) and are detailed. AND moveable. I don't think that one is going to move around too easily. If DF did modular ships, this trog would be out. Way out. I wouldn't even be remotely interested.
While there are ships available of the right scale, I haven't seen any that are modular -- unless you consider the ship kits "modular" in that you can put them together differently from the instructions, or put cannon, masts, flags, etc. in different locations.

A Dwarven Forge modular ship may be more expensive when compared to one specific ship model, but the advantage would be that the Dwarven Forge pieces could be made into several different ships. Pre-painted Dwarven Forge would also be an advantage to those who don't have the time or inclination to paint, since many ships only come unpainted (and, if you hire a painting service, would likely be much more expensive than Dwarven Forge).

The disadvantage of a modular Dwarven Forge ship might be the way it is connected -- I agree that a ship built with KS1 and 2 type pieces would be too fragile for most games. But if that particular problem were solved (using peg-and-post, magnets, etc.) and the ship could be moved fairly easily, I would definitely be interested.

By the way, the Miniature Building Authority ships are pre-painted and ready to use out of the box. A couple of theirs are on sale right now: Bermuda Sloop and Colonial Riverboat. I don't own either of those, but I can vouch for the quality of their Longboat with Mast and Sail and their out-of-production Small Wooden Boat.

ROUexcommunicated
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ROUexcommunicated » Wed May 24, 2017 7:02 am

I'm also aware of at least two adventure modules that feature taverns constructed in beached ships. A Dwarven forge set would allow creating such a tavern and holding the obligatory tavern brawl. :-)

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed May 24, 2017 1:44 am

I would be all in on docks and quays - both wood and stone.

Definitely a total pass on ships/boats, for many of the reasons already mentioned.

(Nice work, though, in putting those together...)

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 am

All that said, clever design and imagination used to make these builds. I applaud that, and appreciate the thought behind it. Regardless, I would want a durable resin model over a pieced together DF ship.

Docks on the other hand are a different deal. At least the type that I am thinking of, something that could be used traditionally, or more like scaffolding from the Goblin King that builds up.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue May 23, 2017 11:22 pm

The problem is the plaster and stone isn't very buoyant. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )