Modular Pirate Ship add-on pack

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Modular Pirate Ship add-on pack

Post by GODofwar » Tue May 23, 2017 11:11 pm

Chris_R wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 pm
Modular because you could have a smaller coastal ship like this.
Ship 2 small.png
Or a much larger ship.

Ship 3 small.png

Hard to do it justice with the current pieces.
Very imaginative...once we've seen it I bet the Trogs take off and we have fleets!

Enough examples might persuade Himself to consider a bow and stern kit...

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:55 pm

These are such creative builds! Bravo!!!

ROUexcommunicated
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ROUexcommunicated » Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Modular because you could have a smaller coastal ship like this.
Ship 2 small.png
Ship 2 small.png (512.76 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Or a much larger ship.
Ship 3 small.png
Ship 3 small.png (457.03 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Hard to do it justice with the current pieces.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 pm

lostpict wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 10:55 am
A DM in my group used the MBS pieces several years back to make a ship for our adventure. It functionally worked, but was a bit odd with the timber frame theme. What we needed for a fantasy style medieval ship would be 2x2 pieces with clinker built walls and wood decking running parallel to the walls. With these pieces you can build a pretty good looking ship: Straight Corner, Curved Corner, Wall, Floor, Wall with Porthole / Gun Hatch, Hatch (instead of a door), ship ladders (steep stairs), low walls, low walls with Gun opening, mast holder floor, mast pass-through floor, mast/yards, ratlines, bowsprit, and paddlewheel. Accessories could include hanging hammocks, galley, cannons, hogsheads, orlop, brig, cabins table & bed, longboats, and the proverbial plank.
Here, here.

A modular ship would be wonderful. And it would adapt to 15mm better than the buildings.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Tue May 23, 2017 10:55 am

A DM in my group used the MBS pieces several years back to make a ship for our adventure. It functionally worked, but was a bit odd with the timber frame theme. What we needed for a fantasy style medieval ship would be 2x2 pieces with clinker built walls and wood decking running parallel to the walls. With these pieces you can build a pretty good looking ship: Straight Corner, Curved Corner, Wall, Floor, Wall with Porthole / Gun Hatch, Hatch (instead of a door), ship ladders (steep stairs), low walls, low walls with Gun opening, mast holder floor, mast pass-through floor, mast/yards, ratlines, bowsprit, and paddlewheel. Accessories could include hanging hammocks, galley, cannons, hogsheads, orlop, brig, cabins table & bed, longboats, and the proverbial plank.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue May 23, 2017 7:31 am

I would not back a ships only KS to any great level, but it sounds good for next Ks as an add-on. The tudor ship is great, but I am sure STefan could think of something more specific and better
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GX.Sigma
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GX.Sigma » Tue May 23, 2017 4:01 am

If KS6 is ships, I'm going all in.

ALL. IN.

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Mon May 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Although it does show potential, I'm uncertain of just how modular it could be. I mean there is the middle part, but the ends are always going to be the same. I don't see how this could build up.

Very cool build regardless. Thank you for sharing. However I'm not convinced a full set should be devoted to this.

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Mon May 22, 2017 4:26 am

Well done Chris!
I made the suggestion for ship pieces that could be swapped around back durring KS2, but it didn't get any momentum. Your pic really shows the potential.

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dreamlifter » Mon May 22, 2017 3:06 am

Chris_R wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 am
How about a Pirate ship add-on pack in a similar style to the wooden floored buildings from KS3 with fully wooden pattern walls at about 2/3 full height (7/8 inch) that a 33mm pirate can look over?Ship_20170522_small.jpg
There could be options for the drop in walls for cannon ports or solid wood or small portholes that could double as oar ports for a galley or viking longship. Different front and end options could be made for a cog or galley or longship and a central hatchway in the center could optionally be replaced with a stub mast or grill hatch cover (small lattice trapdoor from KS4).
That's a great visual representation. Given that display of modularity, then wooden pirate ship pieces could also be utilized as dock or wooden structure pieces within a castle, or dungeon, or maybe even a large wooden bridge. I hope DF sees this thread!