KS5 - Magnets in bases

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS5 - Magnets in bases

Post by zenako » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Well so far I have had decent success with Gorilla Glue on the handful I have had to reinstall. I have also used a filled superglue on a few when I ran out of GG. I did make sure to clean out the old stuff in the cavity since one time I had one just peel out the old glue/epoxy. Had not actually bonded to the base material.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:47 am

OK - a bit more info - we are all learning as we go

the 2mm magnets i used were N35

the 1mm were N38

so i could get stronger ones... hmmm...

I will look into that (especially for the freestanding walls which i would be cool if they could grip through a tile, but i doubt it) - but the force of these magnets was enough for most pieces (the beefiest cavern walls would benefit from 2 magnets or a stronger magnet)

stronger would make a greater challenge for the glue... which is my weak link at this point
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:10 am

Seraphis the Bland got some info from Chuck and had posted in another thread a while back:

"You want N50 or N52 magnets. The "N" just stands for "neo" or neodymium. The number is what indicates strength and 52 is the strongest for neodymiums. You'll want that because the magnets we use are pretty small. Despite being the "strongest", N52's are actually pretty cheap. Ebay is a great source for them. Just pay attention to the size. The largest we use for wall accessories are discs 3mm thick and 5mm across."

Seems like there were some questions regarding magnets that were addressed in by the Knightess during the KS. I don't see them right now, but remember reading them somewhere...

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 am

Update - i showed these to my son and he was stoked he pulled up a tile to check out the magnet and the magnet stayed behind (i had been sliding them off) - two more failed while he was handling them

so Gorilla Glue is a FAIL!

I will experiment with other adhesives

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 pm

yeah - that occured to me - i was just adding magnets to the scene i need to rebuild for friday (i had it on a piece of MDF covered with a piece of cloth, but the cat decided to lay on it and so it is totally destroyed!) and it had a couple of free standing walls

not sure they will have the strength to pull through another tile (pretty sure they won't) but it would be worth doing to use them directly on the trays

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:20 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:10 pm
no idea relative strength

mine are definitely wider (ease of handling) i will need to get tiny ones for freestanding walls as the bases aren't big enough

not sure what thickness DF is using
Don't the FSW usually go on top of dungeon pieces? Or do you use them directly on the terrain tray?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:10 pm

no idea relative strength

mine are definitely wider (ease of handling) i will need to get tiny ones for freestanding walls as the bases aren't big enough

not sure what thickness DF is using

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:53 pm

I am so glad I switched my DoD order at the last minute to Magnets as I had wavered strongly until the very end! :D

Any idea how strong the the magnets you used are compared to the stock DF factory magnets?

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:34 pm

@kitenerd - Thank you for the update and the demo.

I have magnetized DoD pieces that I've played with and those completely sold me on magnets. I'll probably go back and magnetize some old stuff. Sewers seems like a great place to start since they're kind of fiddly with the separate walls, floors, and channels to juggle. The early (non double-sided) chasm ledges from KS2 would also benefit from this.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:16 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:37 pm
OK - I am officially a convert!

Just magnetized a trial set of caverns and sewers (which have lots of bits and really benefit from sticking together) and i am going to order a ton of more magnets and magnetize EVERYTHING

IMG_8051.JPG

terrible picture, but this is a terrain tray held VERTICALLY with my sewers and caverns bits on it

game changer for me who lacks the area to leave anything set up

I used 10mm x 2mm ZD2 and 7/16" x 1/32" ZD701 from K&J magnetics

ZD2 = 25 for 8.50 (surplus)
ZD701 = 20cents each

I also have a sample coming from eBay that were half that price - which considering how many hundreds i need might be worth waiting extra time for

my experience - there is a LOT of variation in the recesses on the bottom of the pieces - it doesn't matter - the magnets do not need to be flush, the field is strong enough that they hold

IMG_8045.JPG

i put them on with a glop of glue the size of a pea (gorilla contruction adhesive) and pushed them until they sank in - made sure they were flatish and below the tile edges with a popsicle stick which i passed over in both directions in profile like a level

IMG_8047.JPG

that is a significant gap and the only piece i had that fell off (held vertically which is not how i intend to use my DF!) was one of the wavy cavern walls (which are pretty heavy) - i only used one magnet on each piece

The big thing is having enough space to lay out pieces to dry - while it didn't happen to me - i can see magnets jumping out of the glue to hang out with their friends - these are strong little magnets!

thanks to those who blazed this trail - this is really making DF much more practical for me to use
Thanks for this. I have a lot of the old stuff I needs to put magnets on.