KS5 - Magnets in bases

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Re: KS5 - Magnets in bases

Post by Thunder » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:53 pm

My local Home Depot had precut 12 x 12 inch "weldable steel" in 22 gauge for $6 each. I looked for 20 gauge but they did not have it.

The 22 gauge does flex a bit, but certainly not enough to worry about. Magnets stick quite well to it, so does Blu-Tak which I might use instead of magnets. The edges are a bit sharp, but a quick run around the edge with a file ought to fix that quick. I will also likely round the corners a bit.

Printed or painted fabrics to cover this is likely preferable, from both a visual and handling aspect - but then of course the Blu-Tak won't work.

Damn, now look what you got me started on! :)

Peace

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 am

Thunder wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 am
I wonder how easy it would be to print 12x12 acid/lava/water textures on fabric. Of course instead of doing all this I may as well just buy the DF terrain trays....
You can print any digital texture file you have on a variety of fabrics at spoonflower. That said, I am also reaching the same conclusion, the only reason I wouldn't just get the DF trays is because having gotten the idea I now want them immediately, lol.

Stormfury, would you be able to post a pic of a side view of the tray and maybe tiles on a tray next to tiles not on a tray? Just wondering about thickness -- IIRC Nate said 22ga is what the DF trays are, but oddly the 20ga is cheaper (on metalsdepot anyway) and presumably can support even more weight, so would go with that if it doesn't "bump" too much.

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 am

We are moving further and further from the topic "KS5 - Magnets in Bases". :)

I also like the roiling boil look, it's active, aggressive and organic looking. The fabric texture really helps with the illusion.

Oldent - wonderful stuff yer doing there, especially the felt painting. I might try some of that myself.

I wonder how easy it would be to print 12x12 acid/lava/water textures on fabric. Of course instead of doing all this I may as well just buy the DF terrain trays....

Peace

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:50 am

Although I do like the roiling look of the acid bath itself.
Acid Bath.jpg
Acid Bath.jpg (157.89 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:44 am

Thunder wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 pm
That's great, thanks for the reply.

I could probably use a Dremel to round the corners a bit. Looks like i ought to make an order myself.

Peace
A file would work better. The sharp edge of the sheet metal will cut sandpaper. A hand held round power tool sander will bonce and possibly ruin the straight edge.

Dremel has some nice accessories. I have the tool sharpener. I don't use it. I have a large flat mill bastard file I use for lawnmower blades, axes, grass knives and such.I have a set of small hobby files too.

If you have the proper Dremel accessories by all means use them.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:24 am

I wanted to illustrate the suggested sponge painting technique.I made this 1' by 1' as a photo prop from plywood. The base coat was a left over Olive green.

You can use this technique on felt. I painted a emerel sheet olive and over stamped it. Of course you can start with olive colored or tan felt. Pin it down to keep it flat. Brush it with a hair brush when it is dry. I don't care for card board terrain . This is a replacement tile for the Rune Wars forest marker.

The Skuzzy matt was also painted with sponges and finished with a dry brush. This is a sample of the sponges I have collected over the years. Natural are often better. I often cut worn out wash up sponges and make stamps. Bath sponges are more cost effective than art supply.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 pm

That's great, thanks for the reply.

I could probably use a Dremel to round the corners a bit. Looks like i ought to make an order myself.

Peace

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Thunder wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:17 pm
That's Awesome Stormfury.

How is the flex on the sheets you bought? If you put four pillar under the corners underneath and a simple four corners room in the middle on top, how much does the sheet bow?

Are the corners and edges sharp, or have they been smoothed/sanded down a bit?

Peace
They are actually pretty sturdy. I put 24 cavern wall pieces on one while holding it with 1 hand and there was no bowing at all, so it should work as an elevated floor, though I hadn't really thought/planned to do that. I feel good that they could be used that way.

As to the edges they are not sharp, corners can be a bit. That said, I wouldn't want to drop it on a foot/toe. :) I'm really pleased with the sheets as it'll make my dungeons easier to display to players 12" at a time. :)
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:17 pm

That's Awesome Stormfury.

How is the flex on the sheets you bought? If you put four pillar under the corners underneath and a simple four corners room in the middle on top, how much does the sheet bow?

Are the corners and edges sharp, or have they been smoothed/sanded down a bit?

Peace

Alarian
Orc
Orc

Post by Alarian » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm also in the process of collecting items to test magnetizing some of my KS 1 & 2 items. I picked up a number of magnets from Ebay in 5 or 6 different sizes and strengths that I haven't received yet, but I wanted to mention I picked up a 24" x 36" sheet of steel from Home Depot for $9 which will work out to $1.50 per 12" x 12" square. I'll have to cut it myself, but I have the tools so that shouldn't be a problem. A possible much less expensive way to get the metal for the sheets for those that are willing. I also picked up some material at Wal-Mart for a couple bucks that I'm going to try and use for my "terrain" on the sheets. Once the magnets arrive, I'll try and get an update here.