KS5 - Magnets in bases

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS5 - Magnets in bases

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Looks awesome, Stormfury!

If you want more pop out of your terrain colour, you can use a small sponge and blot with one shade darker, and then repeat blot with one shade lighter, and you should get a nice random depth effect.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Are the pics showing now?
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:51 pm

jchunick wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:27 pm
@Stormfury,

All your links to dropbox are broken for those who don't have dropbox accounts (I don't have an account any more).
Gah, sorry about that. Post updated and should work now.

Alarian
Orc
Orc

Post by Alarian » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:04 pm

I have an account (dropbox) and am logged on and still can't see the photos.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:27 pm

@Stormfury,

All your links to dropbox are broken for those who don't have dropbox accounts (I don't have an account any more).
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:11 pm

As promised, I've received my magnets and metal bits to experiment with my own terrain trays. While not up to the Dwarven Forge quality, I'm very happy with how these turned out.

I purchased 10 12"x12" 20G Cold Rolled Steel Sheets from MetalsDepot for $70 plus shipping. Then with about $20 of spray paint, I mixed sprays to get a muted brown/bronze default on 1 side and lava, water and acid on the other sides for variety.

I went with the brown look for two reasons, it really disappears as you put the gray pieces on it and I didn't want to try and 'match up' grays or have a competing gray. For me this works fine as the brown looks kind of like dirt.

Forgive the poor quality pictures.

Brownish (default on 1 side)

Lava

Acid

Water
I might go back and add some darker blue to this one, but it looks better in person than the picture.

Next buying from the suggested K&J magnets, I got a variety of sizes and strengths for testing. For the larger pieces, I settled on the surplus 3/8" dia. x 1/32" thick ZD13 for $0.20 each. I tried out the 1/8" dia. x 1/32" D201-N52 thick ones as well, but they are super tiny. Works great on some of the smaller pieces like the cavern edge pieces, but for larger pieces you'll likely need 2 of these. They come in at about $0.11 each, so you might as well go for the bigger stronger magnets.

ZD13
D201-N52
http://img.xenosync.com/misc/D201-N52.JPG

The negatives to doing this is the permanence of the magnet, and occasionally on pieces that might be bowed towards the center you'll get a little wobble.

The positives, it works just like the KSV Terrain trays and you can fully customize the look of the trays, plus more bang for your buck. This will allow you to get more of those KSV exclusives.

Holding the tray in my left hand.

Top view in left hand and sideways.

All in all, I spent about $160 for 10 trays and about 500 magnets. Likely overkill on the magnets as you could just do the exterior borders to hold things in place but I'm sure I'll find plenty of uses for them, perhaps some of the smaller ones will be added to towers to help stabilize them. :)

PM me if you have any additional questions.

Storm
Last edited by Stormfury on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:51 am

The Passage Wall tab is not metal. It's a thick plastic.

Duncan_and_Dragons
Orc
Orc

Post by Duncan_and_Dragons » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Will the "passage walls" work with a piece that has a magnet in the base? The metal tab goes under the tile but I don't know if it reached the middle of the tile and the magnets location. It could have one of three effects (I think):
1- The metal of the passage wall tab sticks to the magnet making the passage walls stick to the tile.
2- The metal of the passage wall tab could stick to the magnet and carry the magnetism through the tab and cause it to stick to the Terrain Tray.
3- The metal of the passage wall tab could not reach the magnet, causing a gap between the magnet and the Terrain Tile and actually make the magnet base stick to the Terrain Tile weaker, or not at all.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:51 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:28 pm
I guess you really only need to do five or six floors for every terrain tray for you get - so unless you're buying a ton of them, doing a dozen floors and a similar number of walls ought to be plenty
I ended up getting 300 magnets for $40. Not bad at all. So you could easily do most of the pieces, but I'll experiment with them and see how it turns out doing a few pieces vs all and update here.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:28 pm

I guess you really only need to do five or six floors for every terrain tray for you get - so unless you're buying a ton of them, doing a dozen floors and a similar number of walls ought to be plenty
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939