Painted prices

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Painted prices

Post by bernyleung » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:16 am

There's a fair amount of negative space in the Encounter builds that there are pictures for. At least 50% of the total length x width is probably negative space, so if you use pacarat's math estimate and then multiply by 2, that's probably the average square footage of gaming space you will use/require.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:12 am

period3 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:13 pm
It would be really handy if the different dungeon levels had a ballpark estimate of table coverage. I've a 6'x3' table and no idea how much I'd need to buy to get decent coverage of it. I'm glad to hear I don't have to go all the way to the DoD...

(EDIT: I think I made the exact comment in previous kickstarters... Just saying this kind of info would be useful! Even just report the max length and width of any sample builds so we don't have to count tiles...)
LadySabelle wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:50 pm
The DoD is a really, really, (seriously: really) massive set. In case anyone missed it, the DoD was too large to fit on Stefan's 4'x10' table. DF figured that it wouldn't be for everyone, that's why they've got every encounter set as a separate add-on. Add-ons WITH the SGs for each encounter.

As for paint, I'm afraid that I sculpted a lot of highly detailed pieces which makes painting more complicated (expensive) and I'm not the only one who did either.

Not that hard to do an estimate of square footage of playing surface:

1) Count up the quantities of "table occupying" pieces by size.

2) Let 1X = any 2x2 piece, so a 1x2 = .5X, a 4x4 = 4X, etc.

3) Do some math, using values from steps 1) and 2) to get a sum total: nX

4) [Given each 2x2 is roughly* equivalent to four square inches] divide total nX from step 3) by 36 to get square footage of surface area.

Example 1: Encounter Foo contains 9 4"x4" elevation blocks, which gives 9 x 4X = 36X, which gives 1 sq. foot.

Example 2: Encounter 1 is 24.5X**, so that gives a bit over 2/3 square foot surface area.

A comparison of table size and occupied/effective/actual/playing area will need to be done, 'cause most layouts have negative space that is unoccupied by tiles.

*Please, no KS3 Sizegate comments
**Assumes my math-fu is copacetic

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks for the heartfelt response, Stefan. If it were anyone else as the face of your company, I don't know if it would have made it. Your enthusiasm is contagious. :)
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:30 pm

hello folks, I am sorry that prices have gone up from KS1...that is just the reality of inflation I am afraid. this is a trend that will just continue...manufacturing in the far east is not going to come down. I totally feel you if price is an issue, believe me, I wish we could charge less and still stay make the best stuff around but the reality is, we cannot charge less without using another material or method. dwarvenite is the best there is. it will last your whole lifetime and generations after that. It will retain it's value. If at any time you wish to sell it, I have seen many folks get equal value if not greater for it. Can you name any other terrain that can do that? I am a gamer myself and I want the best material that will last a lifetime. I am willing to pay a bit more for the highest quality. I hope you also understand this. buying bad tools means you have to replace them again at some point and thus pay more + the aggravation not only of replacement but also the fact that you were not using the best tool all those years. It does not make sense to me. I would not want that for my terrain. I want to leave a legacy of awesomeness to my ancestors...I have done everything I can to keep the cost reasonable and still stay in business and be able to deliver what I promise. If it was easy, or wildly profitable why wouldn't some other bigger company just take over? Ask yourselves that. I have been doing this for 21 years. I love what I do and I love the gaming community. You get what you pay for, and in this case it is the highest quality for a good price made by the best artists in the industry. I thank you for supporting good quality goods for 21 years! If you want to save some money, please buy unpainted, I also offer top quality paints and brushes at a really great bargain! Thank you!

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:25 pm

period3 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:13 pm
It would be really handy if the different dungeon levels had a ballpark estimate of table coverage. I've a 6'x3' table and no idea how much I'd need to buy to get decent coverage of it. I'm glad to hear I don't have to go all the way to the DoD...

(EDIT: I think I made the exact comment in previous kickstarters... Just saying this kind of info would be useful! Even just report the max length and width of any sample builds so we don't have to count tiles...)
It's been mentioned that the entire DoD is at least 2' too long for Stefan's custom gaming table, which is 4'x10'. This probably means that Dungeon Level V can already fill most of the whole table. It's probably a good estimate that Dungeon Level IV should cover most of a 3'x6' play surface. That's my guess, anyway.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:31 pm
Not this time, I have a hard cap. Still trying to get over KS IV fatigue and I'm not 'in love' with the columns. So :) hopefully others SPEND, but it won't come from me this go round.
I had both a soft cap and a hard cap for this one. I've already blown past my soft cap with my base pledge (mind you, this could change). I've got about $400 in wiggle room before hitting the hard cap. I'm hoping that will get me a few interesting unpainted pieces (like the arched bridge, some dais bits, maybe a cage or two).

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:13 pm

LadySabelle wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:50 pm
The DoD is a really, really, (seriously: really) massive set. In case anyone missed it, the DoD was too large to fit on Stefan's 4'x10' table. DF figured that it wouldn't be for everyone, that's why they've got every encounter set as a separate add-on. Add-ons WITH the SGs for each encounter.

As for paint, I'm afraid that I sculpted a lot of highly detailed pieces which makes painting more complicated (expensive) and I'm not the only one who did either.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:02 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:03 pm
The pieces are impressive, but I agree the painted markup is really high. I usually get dungeon grey and this is really pushing me towards that direction. Will have to see, I was thinking of come prepainted as I like the look and it could save me time.

This really looks like a KS I will be examining closely in the closing days. Especially when more add-ons appear.
I bought everything unpainted for KS1-3 becuse I enjoy painting, but I am slow as hell. I still have some KS2 awaiting a brush.

I bought KS4 almost entirely painted. Because a half-painted castle for 2 years looks like butt, and it was totally worth it for my kids to unbox it with me and start building immediately.

I'll probably go unpainted for KS5* because I want to do weird paint jobs. Saving 40% is just gravy.

*Except prepainted for the paint job on Encounter 15 because OMFUG. Get excited, y'all!

FattyLumpkin
Orc
Orc

Post by FattyLumpkin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Agreed. Honestly, I even find the Lava Bridge price too high. Who doesn't want that? Now I don't.

And another thing...it's out too soon. I don't have a single piece from the previous KS. I won't buy anything new until that arrives. Yeah, now I'm that guy.
AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:20 pm
Sticker shock is referring to a pledge level with a price tag of $3,900. Every other KS the large pledge level (sans meeting with Stefan, etc.) was ~$1k. No one is putting a gun to our head to spend that much, but many of us choose the large pledge level to ensure we get a solid play area with good options. At nearly 4x the historical norm, it just seems out of touch to have it that high, especially because it apparently gets extra stretch goals. There were lots of statements from DF staff saying this KS would be more economical and while there are some smaller sets for that budget, I just find it contradictory to have the nearly $4k price tag after the last year and a half of people complaining castles was too expensive to get one of everything.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:54 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:26 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:03 pm
The pieces are impressive, but I agree the painted markup is really high. I usually get dungeon grey and this is really pushing me towards that direction. Will have to see, I was thinking of come prepainted as I like the look and it could save me time.

This really looks like a KS I will be examining closely in the closing days. Especially when more add-ons appear.
I thought the painted mark-up has been remarkably consistent between this and the last 2 KS's. About 40%.
I broke it out earlier in the thread, we're about 2x as high as the last two kickstarters.

LS said it's likely due to detail work.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned