Painted prices

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Painted prices

Post by geekjeff » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:40 pm

kmj9907 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:32 pm
Yeah, I think showing what one thing you can do is better than not showing anything, but it *would* be nice at some point if they added alternate builds for each encounter.
I stressed this to Nate, and there are 2 alternate builds of Dungeon Level 2 (effectively the "3 set" pledge) on the main campaign page.

I'm sure there will be more alt builds forthcoming when the galleries hit the website.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:37 pm

The full Dungeon Of Doom is just unspeakably massive. Eyeballing it based on an early pic, the full 1-15 encounter set is more than 13 SQUARE FEET LARGER than the 1-12 encounter set.

But you can build PARTS of the full dungeon at a time for less money and probably still get "one of everything."

Sets 14 and 15 though are going to be REALLY tempting.

Full Doom is for collectors and completionists. You should all buy it so I get more stretch goals. :lol:

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Yeah, I think showing what one thing you can do is better than not showing anything, but it *would* be nice at some point if they added alternate builds for each encounter.

Jonathan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Jonathan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Based on the pledge counts, there appears to be a divide in the market: People who don't want to break $1000, and people who will go way over $1000. Unfortunately, this "go big or go home" mentality for those that are willing to break 1k seems to have left little love for Dungeon Level IV.
Pledge Choices.JPG
Pledge Choices.JPG (27.18 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
I'm guessing once Dungeon of Doom is available, about a quarter or so of the backers pledging for Dungeon Level V will switch up to Dungeon of Doom.

Jonathan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Jonathan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:05 pm

I think the setup this year is very well thought out: You can go piecemeal with the encounters AND still get stretch goals. You can go small or huge with your pledge and still have something worthwhile on its own. Like Lego, you have a suggested layout for each set but you can build whatever you like.

The piece selection also looks fantastic: Use with old sets or use on its own. There are magnetic and LED options made with both classic and vaulted dungeon style. Both small fiddly "advanced builder" shapes and large solid chunks like double doors, curved rooms, and usable staircases.

The paint pricing in the past seems to be higher when there are more colors involved, or more intricate designs. It would appear that it's a substantial factor this year.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:50 pm

The DoD is a really, really, (seriously: really) massive set. In case anyone missed it, the DoD was too large to fit on Stefan's 4'x10' table. DF figured that it wouldn't be for everyone, that's why they've got every encounter set as a separate add-on. Add-ons WITH the SGs for each encounter.

As for paint, I'm afraid that I sculpted a lot of highly detailed pieces which makes painting more complicated (expensive) and I'm not the only one who did either.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Not versatility, but I feel new backers not accustomed to DF (their stated target market they want to attract) may not understand the versatility if each set has it's own preconfigured area name. I could be overthinking, but to me it's a potential issue. But I do give them props for being better prepared this time, and the pieces look great.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Yeah i agree with the "really?" Factor of the DoD pledge

At thr same time buying individual encountersis WAY cooler than generic sets. I know Zach expressed concerns about versatility, but in reality you couldn't do much with one set of KS1 either

I look forward to seeing how stretch goald vs add ons play out
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Right, back to the point of the thread. I think the painted prices are higher because a lot of the pieces are *shaped* more complicated, and there's lots of pieces with more detail (all those columns and decorative floor tiles), so I expect them to take much longer to get a reasonable paint job and therefore cost more.

Chinese labour prices for this type of thing is still extremely low, so by any stretch of the imagination the extra premium for painted items is totally worth it. I'm getting unpainted (like I almost always get), because I definitely want a custom paint job for what I'll be using these tiles for. Maybe even alternate paint schemes.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Initially, I was hit with sticker shock, too. But then I looked a little more carefully at the details of each of the Dungeon Level packages, and have come to the conclusion that there is literally something appropriate for everyone, as the Early Encounter Levels (EELs) have largely utility pieces and the Late Encounter Levels (LELs) having more specialized and unique pieces. The Dungeon of Doom (DOD) level is MASSIVE, kind of like buying two Royal Strongholds in KS4, so of course it is not going to be for everybody.

It's like visiting a car show. Maybe you've got enough money and interest to buy a nice hatchback or compact sedan, even with a few options thrown in. It doesn't hurt to ogle the luxury sports models or SUVs, and the dealers shouldn't refuse to show them. There will always be a select few who can afford the supercars, but I don't begrudge them their ability to do so, nor should my enjoyment of the show be diminished just because there's a whole roomful of autos that are beyond my price range.