Who LOVES the new passage design?

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Who LOVES the new passage design?

Post by Oldent » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 am

I like the idea but I did not get any. I have way more passages than I need. However, I am going to use the idea when I make custom tiles. I like to use the tiles with board games so I will try to work out away to use clear plastic for the bases.

You can barely see the plastic base.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:33 am

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:20 am
After reading Biowizard's analysis of them, I am going to throw an unpainted set into the pledge. His point about being able to make a passage of any width you like, plus some of the advanced builder ideas sold me. So, more of a specialty piece(s) than actual passages is how I will use them.
Here's Bio's post. I somehow missed it until today.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8501
I was going to get just enough to have the flexibility here and there , but I'm already over budget so I had to cut somewhere. If it was a simple getting 1 pack kind of thing, I'd likely do it but it felt to me like you needed to get the Advanced Builder, Hallways and Intersections to really do anything. Though I just noticed the Walls add-on. Somehow I missed that one. Perhaps you could get away with just Walls ($92) and Advanced Builder ($64). Still that ends up being close to 20% of my pledge for the flexibility of having 1" passages. Just not worth it IMO. I can live with the 2" inconvenience.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:13 am

What I like about the new system is its near total modularity at the 1"*1" grid level.
What is lacking is indeed full-tiled 2"*2" corner and wall pieces for ease of build.
I was strongly advocating for them in KS1 but my proposition was considered and directly rejected so that it does not confuse newbies.
Now, I plan either buying KS2 passage pieces and cutting useless protruding diagonal corners with my mitre saw but what I'm really hoping for is that full-tiled "real" pieces be produced in KS6.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:20 am

After reading Biowizard's analysis of them, I am going to throw an unpainted set into the pledge. His point about being able to make a passage of any width you like, plus some of the advanced builder ideas sold me. So, more of a specialty piece(s) than actual passages is how I will use them.
Here's Bio's post. I somehow missed it until today.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8501

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Yep...
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 pm

jackattack wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 am
And the new passage intersections break the 2" grid, requiring additional fiddly 1" passage pieces to compensate.
That's a good point! I didn't get the KS1 passages and aside from a couple pieces added into a couple encounters/sets, looks like I will remain a resin passages kind of guy. I can see the appeal for newcomers though, especially if used with manetized bases.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 am

And the new passage intersections break the 2" grid, requiring additional fiddly 1" passage pieces to compensate.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:00 am

Stormfury wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:48 am
... Fortunately we've gotten more and more of the unique stuff broken out. There is still so much stuff in this KS that I'm having to skip things I want, even some of the limited stuff. :(

I can see the appeal of the 1" builds and the passages but I worry those plastic bases will break off over time and I tend to be leary of the freestanding walls because of table bumps or miniature moving knocking them over.
That sums up my thoughts. I'm an old resin passages guy. I didn't even bought into the KS1 passages system.

I like the idea of flexibility of the new system, and I don't question the stability of the pieces in an ideal scenario but I think any regular table bump is going to be hell. A single crossing is a looot of pieces, and a room entirely surrounded by them too.

Plus, if you build rooms with this pieces as walls to get more advantage of wall-adjacent squares, you have the problem old resin passages had, you can't put rooms adjacent to them without somewhat messing with the alignment of other rooms, and we had the last resin advanced builder to work that around very very nicely.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:39 am

I too find the new design to be overly fiddly. I think it would have been better all around to cast standard walls with full 1" floor tiles.

However, those who want faster set-up can always glue pieces together as they like.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:48 am

William wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:56 pm
I'm with Alarian on this.
I'm trying to base my small pledge around NOT getting the passages and it'll be pretty hard not to end up with some of them. I guess that's O.K. because I can work with them in negative space builds, but I wish the Encounters didn't all have the 2" passage sections included. I already have tons of 2x2 floors and really don't want the passage walls, so I'll be paying that extra (albeit small) amount with every encounter. I have a similar view with the free-standing walls too.
I fall in a similar camp, I think. Fortunately we've gotten more and more of the unique stuff broken out. There is still so much stuff in this KS that I'm having to skip things I want, even some of the limited stuff. :(

I can see the appeal of the 1" builds and the passages but I worry those plastic bases will break off over time and I tend to be leary of the freestanding walls because of table bumps or miniature moving knocking them over.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity