Q/A - Terrain Trays

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge
Kickstarter 5 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Q/A - Terrain Trays

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Q: Not sure if this has already been answered, but what type of cloth is on the terrain trays? Are we talking cotton, felt, or something more like neoprene?

A: don't know that we have a final answer on tray thickness. Latest prototype was 0.8mm metal, laminated with thin neoprene & cloth on each side which would be at least another 2mm to the total I would think.

-----

Q: Can you write on the overlays with wet and/or dry erase marker? i'm sure the answer is yes, but the real question is will it come off?

A: We're still experimenting with different materials for the clear grid. It'll probably be clear acetate. Which should be dry and wet erase friendly. Our goal is for it to look as cool as possible and be as utilitarian as possible. I think we can make it work.

UPDATE:
A - we've tested the grid overlay with both and it wipes clean. Victory!

-----

Q: some of the encounter areas include acid and lava terrain trays. Do any of the areas include water trays?

A: no they don’t. Mostly because we didn’t have the water tray complete when we built the dungeon.

-----

Q: I am curious as to how the fabric will be attached to the metal plate inside. is it glued together or is it just inside, and thus able to slip a bit? is the fabric stretchy or prone to snags? and how stain resistant is it? you know how beverages at the gaming table can be. the potential durability of the printed fabric covering is what i wonder about.

A - it is firmly glued and then the edges are heat-sealed. We haven't tested it for staining but will.

-----

Q: I love the trays, do kinda wish that at least the stone patterns were varied between the trays to limit tiling, if they're all gonna be stone.

A: we designed the pattern to tile seamlessly between trays. We will look into adding more variety. We definitely want them to look great on the table.

-----

Q: How thick are the Terrain Trays?
A: approximately 1mm

-----

Q: What kind of cloth are they finished with? What kind of metal is used inside?
A: I think it's a form of neoprene and the metal is steel.

-----

Q: Will there be a sample pack with one of each size and texture available? (1 each of 12” L/W/A and 4x8” L/W/A)
A: we're seriously considering it.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Q: do they have a kind of subtle 1" grid or none?

A: The Terrain Trays have no grid on then, just beautiful full color graphics. But there is an optional clear acetate grid overlay that can be placed on them if you desire a grid. [this grid will be released tomorrow 6/23/17]
Last edited by JenneyOC on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:24 am

FROM 06/20/17 LIVESTREAM

Q: you mentioned gamematz a lot before the KS, is that what the terrain tiles are?

A: NO they are two different items. Stefan had purchased some Gamematz for his table which is what you heard mentioned, but the terrain tiles are a completely different material and design.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:23 am

Q: Terrain Trays are noted as double sided. Are they 1 side lava, other side Acid or some variants like lava 1, lava 2, or water/dirt etc...?

A: One side is grey stone, the other is a various hazzard (Lava, Acid, Water, currently)

-----

Q: Are they rigid enough to carry stacks of 3-4 tiers of old resins (DoE and some hellscape).

A: They are 0.8mm metal, and strong enough to carry a sheet full of the prototypes which are cast in the heavy polystone resin. Multiple layers stacked on top would probably make the metal bend.

-----

Q: Does the lava matches the coloring for Hellscape, Fantasy floor-lava pool?

A: roughly - it's a beautiful screen printed cloth, so it has a different look. The color palette is in the same family. We should do some compatibility photos.

-----

Q: Will there be a water effect? Something that can expand on the cavernous lake/river. We actually were planning to have a friend make something similar (no metal, just rubber molded fabric to look like textured lake bottoms over rough real floor tile, 2-3 jacquard pigments mixed in layers of 2 parts resin). But would love to buy original DFs.

A: Not in this KS but it's something we might pursue in the future. Your idea sounds great!

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Terrain Tiles Ideas/Requests
1. Water
2. Black Tar
3. Sky
4. Murky Swamp
5. Desert/Sand

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Q/A - Terrain Trays

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Q: If you get the UNPAINTED version of an area, the printed tray/mat will still be printed in color? I think I want to do my own color scheme, but want those lava/acid mats!

A: Yes the Terrain Mats will still come in color even if you back for unpainted pieces.

-----

Q: What will the backside of the terrain trays look like?

A: One side will be a hazard and the other will be a Stone Floor.

-----

Q: Could we get a bit of explanation about how the terrain tiles are constructed? They are printed fabric sleeves sewn over plates?

A: The Terrain trays are sheets of 0.8mm thick metal sandwiched between two sheets of a high-quality backless neoprene material. The corners are rounded for safety and the edges of the fabric are smooth heat sealed for a nice clean edge.

One side has a neutral gray stone pattern and the other side has some sort of hazard. Currently we have Lava, Acid, and Water planned as hazards, but if they are well accepted we could add more. Our prototypes were delayed on these as well, so we won't have a demo video up for about a week. We have 2 of them in hand at the studio but should be getting more soon.

I'm very excited to show off how they improve building and game play. At the simplest level, they allow you to pre-build your rooms and then just fly them onto the table as the players discover them. Also great for secret rooms that get discovered (to minimize meta-gaming). And useful for multi-level builds.

When building they make it easier to adjust and move rooms if you're building on the fly or build organically (how I often build). And finally they're great if you have to clean up between sessions. You can just pop your trays off the table, stack them on your shelf, then pop them back on the table at the next session and pick up right where you left off.

We'll do a hands-on video showing all this.

-----

Q: Are we going to be seeing terrain tray only add-on packs?

A: YES! They will be release in week 1. Along with packs of Anchor Magnets and gaskets for people who want to magnetize their pieces. We made the magnets optional, so that people who didn't want them wouldn't have the price of their pieces increased.