Detailed Encounter Map Instructions in Adventure Module

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Detailed Encounter Map Instructions in Adventure Module

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 am

fnordfriendly wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:35 pm
Did they all meet in a tavern, or the Cantina from Tattooine?
Heh! Yes and no. They're all outcasts of some sort.

Triton is from the Sea of Fallen Stars, nowhere near the Sword Coast and the North where everything is happening. He's literally a fish out of water. He's on a bit of a personal quest to find the storm giant that lived near his triton village, that one day just upped and disappeared. He was an aloof, grumpy storm giant, but for some reason the triton considers the giant his friend.

Goliath is outcast from his mountain clan because he has a big mouth and insulted the chief's son. Was basically told to "make his own place in the world" in order to avoid bloodshed. He seeks to defeat more and more powerful monsters, and changes his nickname every time he defeats a stronger one. Currently he calls himself "Giantkiller" (but started off as "Ratkiller").

Tabaxi is an orphan from a faraway jungle land that has been visited by Faerunian sea traders for the last several years. Since he was always in the way, nobody was particularly sad to see him go when he was "adopted" by a ship navigator (who was also an artificer, and who taught him everything he knows). Navigator died at the hands of some organized crime syndicate because of unpayable gambling debts. Tabaxi ran away with his master's thunder cannon and went off to seek his fortune.

Yuan-ti is a pureblood who can pass for human. Not evil but not very good, either. Sole survivor of a disastrous diplomatic mission to xenophobic theocratic human settlement when yuan-ti nation of Najara was "declared". Decided not to go back. Interested in exploring other humanoid nations and observing how political and economic systems can thrive (gasp!) without slavery.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:35 pm

Did they all meet in a tavern, or the Cantina from Tattooine?

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:28 pm

fnordfriendly wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm
bernyleung wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 am
(I'm calling their adventuring group "The Thundercats" because for some reason they have a fairly common theme through all their characters that either involves lightning/thunder powers and/or cat traits/companions.)
Great name! :lol:
Things came together quite accidentally. We're using some playtest stuff. Characters are:

1) Triton storm sorcerer packing mostly thunder/lightning spells
2) Tabaxi gunsmith (thunder cannon) with a mechanical sabre-tooth tiger and a tressym (annoying winged cat)
3) Goliath brute fighter with a pair of figurines of wonderous power (lions)
4) Yuan-ti mystic with Mastery of Air and Mastery of Weather disciplines

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 am
(I'm calling their adventuring group "The Thundercats" because for some reason they have a fairly common theme through all their characters that either involves lightning/thunder powers and/or cat traits/companions.)
Great name! :lol:

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 am

I wonder what the level spread will be like.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks very much for these ideas! I ran Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury for my same players back when 3rd edition came out. But yesterday I found the Tapestry of Deceit module in the webstore and it looks great! I’m looking forward to using all the sewer pieces I bought! I’m going to try stretching that out a bit, and then I’m thinking of adding some more City encounters using some ideas from the City of Valoria Guide by Elye Alexander. If the DOD module isn’t out by then, I’ll mix in some overland encounters. Based on the Mythras map, the gnolls raiders look like a promising series of encounters as the party works their way to the Erinthor Mountains for the DOD. I am very grateful that it looks like they are designing the DOD module to be scaleable.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 am

Pizzabagel wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm
So it’s my turn to DM a campaign in a couple of weeks and I’d like to run some lower level adventures as a lead in to the “Dungeon of Doom” - (essentially stalling for time until DoD arrives in April). Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 5th edition adventure to run (probably levels 1-5 or 1-10 as a lead-in to DoD? I’ve already run them through the Lost Mines of Phandelver last campaign. Thanks!
Both the "Curse of Strahd" and "Storm King's Thunder" official campaigns are designed to take a small group of characters from level 1-10, probably best for 4-6 players.

The re-worked "Sunless Citadel" and "Forge of Fury" from Tales From The Yawning Portal collection of modules can take them from 1-5.

I'm running a campaign for my kids right now, and we've completed Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury, then transitioned to the beginnings of Storm King's Thunder. They plan on doing as much of the SKT campaign as possible, so it'll probably take their small group to level 12, maybe 13 when it's all over. (I'm calling their adventuring group "The Thundercats" because for some reason they have a fairly common theme through all their characters that either involves lightning/thunder powers and/or cat traits/companions.)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm

I got no dungeon of doom but I am planning to use my smaller purchase in some way in the campaign I am starting up after my group runs through the new Tomb of Annihilation board game scenarios.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Sarducci
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Sarducci » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 pm

I am going to run the classic Temple of Elemental Evil module but substitute the Dungeon of Doom. There are plenty of lower level encounters and it makes for a good campaign setting. Highly recommended.

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm

So it’s my turn to DM a campaign in a couple of weeks and I’d like to run some lower level adventures as a lead in to the “Dungeon of Doom” - (essentially stalling for time until DoD arrives in April). Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 5th edition adventure to run (probably levels 1-5 or 1-10 as a lead-in to DoD? I’ve already run them through the Lost Mines of Phandelver last campaign. Thanks!