Is my dungeon of doom here yet

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Re: Is my dungeon of doom here yet

Post by Gargs454 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Now the only question for me is if I'll end up moving before either or all of my shipments! On the one hand, getting them before the move makes things easier in regards to the KS, on the other hand, I'm not going to get much chance to do anything with them before the move anyway (as in, they'll likely get moved without having hardly been opened beyond just verifying I got everything I ordered).

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:27 am

bernyleung wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 pm
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted. Still alive!

I'm glad I didn't get a DoD. I'll have plenty enough to paint with Encounters 1-9 and 15 and all those add-ons. I think I'll be breaking my painting into three, maybe four parts. 1 part regular stone, 1 part white decorative stone, 1 part black decorative stone, and 1 part jade. Probably not equal distribution within parts, maybe break apart by theme i.e. all daises jade, all puzzle floors black decorative stone, all throne room pieces white, etc. Will need to get most of everything in hand and built according to plan before deciding.
Great to see you posting again Berny :)

It might not be a DoD but that's still a hefty amount of Dwarvenite!
Got the paint schemes all planned too, liking your planning.

The beauty of painting yourself is you get the colour you want and something unique to boot - good luck we are sure they will turn out amazing :) and can't wait to see all the pictures you will of course be posting ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted. Still alive!

I'm glad I didn't get a DoD. I'll have plenty enough to paint with Encounters 1-9 and 15 and all those add-ons. I think I'll be breaking my painting into three, maybe four parts. 1 part regular stone, 1 part white decorative stone, 1 part black decorative stone, and 1 part jade. Probably not equal distribution within parts, maybe break apart by theme i.e. all daises jade, all puzzle floors black decorative stone, all throne room pieces white, etc. Will need to get most of everything in hand and built according to plan before deciding.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:10 pm

We are looking forward to seeing some awesome builds from you guys. - including you Law :)
We need your creative builds to show us what we missed - like your KSIV builds did ;)

We are intending to build some sprawling lava and temple based builds to fight over.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:24 am

Law wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:53 am
I am getting so excited for this, even knowing that it may be another three months (or more!) before I have my full order. But it doesn't matter -- I should be getting SOMETHING next month, and this is a set that I don't mind dragging out a bit. Castles and cities kinda needed to be opened all together, as much as possible -- otherwise, you just couldn't do certain builds. But this is a more old-fashioned dungeon, nothing depends on anything else, and it will be fine to wait for some of the rooms...

Which brings me to KS5. The DoD doesn't work that way. While the full DoD is massive, and things like the terrain trays and broken ledge and bridge pieces make it possible to build something truly sprawling, the focus in DoD isn't size. It's the little details -- the levers, the swinging blades, the glowing runes, the torches, the marble pillars.... It's these smaller moments that shine, and a small room or couple of rooms really highlights the set well. It just doesn't feel as necessary to create a large build....
You know, you are right about that. I swing between super excited and emotionally fatigued because it's just so hard to wait. I love those little levers- so old school. And the fact that pretty much every encounter came with the Vaulted Open Arch Wall with Bar Insert- remember the Bend Bars/Lift Gates stat? I freakin' LOVE that. I think I have about 15 of those coming by my final order. Corner Doors. AND DOUBLE DOORS. We've needed those since the beginning. (I hope KS6 has a double sized entrance feature). And the elevation boxes, those are going to add so much dimension to the game. I don't own any LED dungeon pieces so I don't really know how much atmosphere that will add, but I suspect a lot. And all those 1 square width pieces for 5' passages. The bottom line is that the game tiles just got way more closer to how we actually play. Excuse me while I go mark off another day on the calendar (sigh).

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:14 am

I am expecting some pictures of at least one "every inch of space I have" builds, once they all arrive. I was only able to get a few add-ons in KS-5, so I need to "live" these pieces through you and everyone else.
So please go nuts, go bonkers, everyone. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:53 am

I am getting so excited for this, even knowing that it may be another three months (or more!) before I have my full order. But it doesn't matter -- I should be getting SOMETHING next month, and this is a set that I don't mind dragging out a bit. Castles and cities kinda needed to be opened all together, as much as possible -- otherwise, you just couldn't do certain builds. But this is a more old-fashioned dungeon, nothing depends on anything else, and it will be fine to wait for some of the rooms.

If anything, the time that has passed since the campaign concluded has made me all the more excited for this approach. I love cities and castles, and I was able to build some of my favorite layouts with them. THAT SAID, I imagine it's going to be very rare that I go back and do the kinds of builds that I did when they were new. Taking it all out, pulling it all together -- it's just SO MUCH. The bins alone take up half a room. Then it takes HOURS to get everything set up. I noticed that even with the Castles run being as big as it was, the full castle potential really requires using BOTH sets. You need the roads to surround your castle (or enough cavern, mountain, and river sets, but I like urban castles). You need tudor and stone walls, posts, and floors to create interesting fortress structures and avoid "just an enclosed courtyard" designs. And if you really want variety, you need at least some roof pieces. It's frankly just much, much cooler if you incorporate the city pieces. And it works in reverse, too -- a city is a LOT more diverse and interesting with round towers and extra battlements and a large gate... The two are amazing complements.

You can, of course, make a small build with either, but it's not nearly as much fun. ;) The castle and city sets really WANT to be big, and size and scope are their chief appeal.

Which brings me to KS5. The DoD doesn't work that way. While the full DoD is massive, and things like the terrain trays and broken ledge and bridge pieces make it possible to build something truly sprawling, the focus in DoD isn't size. It's the little details -- the levers, the swinging blades, the glowing runes, the torches, the marble pillars.... It's these smaller moments that shine, and a small room or couple of rooms really highlights the set well. It just doesn't feel as necessary to create a large build. Which I love. It's a lot less daunting to anticipate KS5, knowing that it won't completely take over every inch of space I have. And I'm really hoping that KS6 works the same way (which is what I expect -- at the very least, that it CAN work the same way, though it wouldn't surprise me if there were ways of using KS6 to satisfy either approach).

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:35 am

In the last video interview of Stefan, he said he wanted to launch KS6 in june but not before the delivery of this one.
So I guess it's for may. Too soon yet ... and I have to sell a lot of boardgames and stuff to have the place for KS5 first. So a delay would be great to me ... yep !

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 am

Garden shed?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 am

CNY is almost upon us, is KSV on the water or at least on the docks?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria