First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by zenmaster » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks to all for sharing their impressions!

Just got mine last night and opened the boxes this morning.

The great:

Everything is unwarped, corners are all square, all pieces are magneted as they should be.
Everything looks outstanding!

The only issues:

Missing the 2 dungeon elevation pillars from the acid bath encounter
The acid terrain tray fabric overlay is a bit... unexpected. Will have to wait for other terrain trays to see how they work in practice together.

My kids will be playing around with these today.
Looking forward to the rest of the encounters!
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:20 pm

The elevation pieces are so heavy you'd have to install much more robust magnets to have a hope.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:54 pm

ejclason wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:42 pm
-In building the Acid Bath, I discovered that the elevation stuff and some other pieces do not have magnets. This means that some pieces in many builds (like the Acid Bath) are not going to stick to a Terrain Tray. This reinforces my plan to use Terrain Trays as a sometimes thing and not for most builds.
Huh, didn't even think about that until you mentioned it, but checking my pledge manager, Vaulted Elevation add-ons don't have magnet noted (I selected +magnets on my whole order).
vaulted elevation.png
vaulted elevation.png (411.66 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
Looking at the pieces included in the set, I think the reason they don't have magnets is that they're generally intended to be used on top of other pieces (floors, etc.) and you would potentially run into polarity issues that way. There's also the question of whether the magnet would be strong enough to stick through a layer of Dwarvenite.

ejclason
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ejclason » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Received Encounters 1-6 a few day ago. Have set up all the encounters, the only one that was tricky was the Acid Bath, for 2 reasons:
-I didn't originally realize most other things were on a layer of Floors.
-Also took me a while to realize that the Passage tabs went under the Terrain Tray.

Other thoughts:
-My favorite piece is the Vaulted Open Arch Wall.

-Had seen a few posts that made me concerned about Passages, but none of the tabs on mine were bent. Also they slide easily under other tiles without disrupting things.

-Double doors are a bit tricky to assemble (lining up and inserting the pegs in the holes) and a bit easy to disassemble (as others of mentioned).

-Large Curves are both easy to assemble and disassemble. As others have said, it would be nice if they had other inserts beside a Solid Wall. A door and an archway would be nice.

-In building the Acid Bath, I discovered that the elevation stuff and some other pieces do not have magnets. This means that some pieces in many builds (like the Acid Bath) are not going to stick to a Terrain Tray. This reinforces my plan to use Terrain Trays as a sometimes thing and not for most builds.

-No missing pieces, 3 pieces missing their magnets.

-Happy with the paint job. Much better that I could do. I guess I'm not a paint job connoisseur :)

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:26 pm

pacarat wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 am
So...is it time for DF to change their descriptions of painted sets from “expertly painted” to “maybe, just maybe, passably painted”?
Since the definition of expert is a person with great knowledge, skill or experience in a specific subject, they are expertly painted. Just not up to the standards we wish for.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:30 am

The paint jobs have skipped over the years, I agree. Even resin wasn't up to the standards of 2002-2003 by the end.

I think they can do better. I think it will take longer and cost more. Who knows. Maybe eventually there will have to be a clearer line between painted and unpainted - the former taking a lot longer to ship and coming out separately.

It's tough, though. The super prestige paint jobs on early resin sets - that was for making a layout that was maybe 24" x 36". It was a handful of rooms. But if I'm getting enough stuff to fill a 6'x6' space - which some cities and castles are doing - it becomes less feasible to pay for super detail paint on all that product. And it matters a little less - you're so impressed by the sheer size and scope of the build you don't quibble about the paint between the stones. In the end I may prefer more affordable product to build huge things with slightly less precise paint as opposed to amazing paint jobs but much more pricey and harder to get enough for those massive builds. Unclear. Unclear.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 am

So...is it time for DF to change their descriptions of painted sets from “expertly painted” to “maybe, just maybe, passably painted”?

I know in KS2 the painted lava river sets were abysmal paint jobs compared to the KS pics. They look like kids’ color by number sets. I bought a whole bunch painted, but after opening the first set I returned them all. That was the one and only time I will buy painted. (Plus they changed the base material color from grey to lemon yellow without informing anyone.)

I do credit DF for doing that refund/credit. Never a complaint about their CS.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:15 am

I can certainly understand needing to touch up the paint jobs. Good luck there.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 am

Looking over my paint jobs, I think it's actually bad enough that I'm gonna want to tweak them in places. It's disappointing, but I'd rather bite the bullet and admit it needs to be done than leave it as it is.

I won't be doing anything major. I want to use some dark grey to increase the depth of cracks - normally I would inkwash for this but I don't want to undertake a full repaint.
I just need to fix the bleed - lighter bricks have been painted so sloppy the color bleeds into the crack so instead of looking like a lighter brick it looks like a solid piece someone blotched light brownish grey on. And the columns, too - red overspill into the space between column and wall.

Ideally, inkwash. That blends perfectly for smooth transitions. But a thin enough brush and steady enough hand and I can at least erase some of the more egregious bleed. I just - it just needs to be done.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:38 am

My apologies.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria