Bit Disapointed

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:22 am

Quality wise, the only thing I've noticed, well two things, the first being that on some pieces there is a thin flash mark near the top (sometimes near the bottom) of the piece going all the way around (like when you buy a mini with flash on it). I haven't tried trimming it yet. The second is that I'll have 1-2 pieces in a set that don't seem to have their wall stones as defined as the other pieces, so that when you paint it, the stones look fairly flat against the wall. It hasn't been a lot of pieces, so I've just been rolling along.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Bit Disapointed

Post by Law » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 am

Hm, I hadn't noticed that myself. But I haven't been painting things. From what I've seen, the painted floors from KS1 and KS5 match really well, in color and texture. Hm.

And hope you don't feel like you can't criticize! I don't think this is an overly protective group - we have our share of complaints. ;) Sometimes there is some disagreement about what's important (don't say "gridgate," don't say "gridgate" - dammit!). But we do voice our concerns. Hell, I'm one of DF's biggest fans, and I'll be first to point out where something doesn't work for me.

One of the things that's great about DF is that (most of the time!) they listen to fans. They've got great customer service, and if fans point out something doesn't work, they'll fix it.

They're understaffed, so during busy times sometimes you won't hear from them, and they tend to like to schedule shipping a KS, launching a KS, attending a major con, filming a documentary, and Chinese New Year all on the same week - but other than that, they're very responsive. When people bring issues to their attention, they do what they can to work something out. So criticize away! It's all in the name of creating better art.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Bit Disapointed

Post by dice4hire » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:45 am

Hmm I have not seen the floor detail mentioned and do not have my stuff yet. I know from painting the gorgonite in KSIV that lack of detail does have a huge impact on how easy things are to paint.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Bit Disapointed

Post by Arbados » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:58 am

I've received some of the set unpainted and started to paint as expected. However, although the walls seem to have great definition and detail like previous KS'er's it seems the floors do not have that definition when shading. There certainly aren't the detailed engraves and allowances to make painting them easy to match. They are MUCH more smooth without engraved detail like KS'er 1 and 2.

The walls seem pretty good, but the floors are no where near the deep detail that was in KS1? I'm disappointed with this as it is either a lack of QA on the part of the final product or a failure to recognize this when sent off for production. I guess it could be that this is what was desired by Stephan, but I doubt that with his expected detail. Either way in the end it's not good.

Now, please do not attack my criticism. I'm only bringing up a fair point for discussion and observation. Right now I have to figure out how to make the floors fairly match their counterparts in pant. Oh, by the way ALL my paints are Pokorny so I'd have thought they would match perfectly (Earth Stone, Stone Edge and Deep Lava).