My Turn: Dungeon of Doom Experiments

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: My Turn: Dungeon of Doom Experiments

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:36 am

I think I may try the paint option if I dislike the serpent orbs brightness. If they are bright enough I'll set them outside as a beacon for aliens.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:34 am

I unscrewed the bases on a couple of the LED pieces from E1. Wire leads to the socket(s) are accessible. There’s plenty of room in the cavity to add a resistor or even a second switch, if you want to put in some extra resistance for the arc lights... I mean orbs.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:43 pm

ShaynePatrick wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:35 pm
I'm not sure if your orbs are like mine, but I have noticed that they are super bright from above and almost normal intensity when viewed straight on. While this is little comfort, since we don't play at eye level, but a take away might be to not seat the LED so far in to the orb during production for KS6 pieces.

Just a thought.
That might work. I wonder if they could just source lower intensity LEDs in the first place? Or maybe add a resistor to the circuit?

And speaking of solutions, I wonder if another layer of paint or two on the ones I've already got in-hand would dim them but keep them usable...I think I'll grab one as an experimental.......rabbit. :twisted:

ShaynePatrick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ShaynePatrick » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm not sure if your orbs are like mine, but I have noticed that they are super bright from above and almost normal intensity when viewed straight on. While this is little comfort, since we don't play at eye level, but a take away might be to not seat the LED so far in to the orb during production for KS6 pieces.

Just a thought.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:40 pm

More musings on DoD

One of my initial reactions to the arch and pillars design of KS5 was, "gee, won't it look strange having all those columns side by side". I know a few others had the same thought and a few even proposed potential alternatives (half columns, columns on one side only).

At the time, I thought I would likely alternate column walls and plain dungeon walls like this:
KS1KS5 Mix_.jpg
KS1KS5 Mix_.jpg (135.66 KiB) Viewed 664 times
After building Zaltar's Game Room, I never felt like there were too many columns even with column walls next to each other. And it also looked good with a few plain dungeon walls thrown in haphazardly (see monsters in the game room picture in my first post in this thread).

After playing with the pieces in person, I think the columns work in almost any variation because the arches tie them together in a stand-alone motif that works well in repetition or broken up.

What I learned from this: trust the artists of DF to know whether something will look good in practice, even if it seems "illogical" (two columns on every wall?!?!) at first.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:55 am

Not having any KSI and our KSV is south by Java head, we will refrain from commenting on paint jobs etc.

But just to say great pictures GDM and some quality analysis DooFers - keeps us Bunnies occupied while waiting for our next DF fix.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:37 pm

marcoreds wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:45 pm

Isn't it possible to do it like this, using only straight passages and no corners?

Walls.jpg
i think that would work - just hang over 3/8 of an inch at the entrance - i'll play tonight
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:05 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pm
New passages are fiddly and difficult to transition in and out of. They also take up virtually ZERO space to store and offer myriad opportunities to build in new and creative ways. Count me a fan!

I do agree there is a learning curve here. My big problem right now is i cannot place a magnet accessory at the end of a hall because the corner necessitates 1" non metal walls. As Law points out this could be accomplished with a Vaulted Wall (the way he used the barred wall) but then i have transitioned out of full width passages.

Look at the build below. I want my crossbow to shoot the length of the hall.

IMG_6981.JPG

If we had a 1.5” passage wall then we could use the 2” metal wall on the end with a 1.5 on the side (metal tabs would be 2 thick underneath which would freak some folks out - I am not so fussy)

Still playing around - i have only unboxed 3 of 6 encounters - savoring the goodness/busy as hell ;)
Something I am toying around with is having a small, STRONG magnet that I can put on the opposite side of any wall that will allow me to place magnetic accessories basically anywhere. I'm still trying to locate a good variety pack of different strength magnets to test what strength and size is necessary.

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:45 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pm
New passages are fiddly and difficult to transition in and out of. They also take up virtually ZERO space to store and offer myriad opportunities to build in new and creative ways. Count me a fan!

I do agree there is a learning curve here. My big problem right now is i cannot place a magnet accessory at the end of a hall because the corner necessitates 1" non metal walls. As Law points out this could be accomplished with a Vaulted Wall (the way he used the barred wall) but then i have transitioned out of full width passages.

Look at the build below. I want my crossbow to shoot the length of the hall.

IMG_6981.JPG

If we had a 1.5” passage wall then we could use the 2” metal wall on the end with a 1.5 on the side (metal tabs would be 2 thick underneath which would freak some folks out - I am not so fussy)

Still playing around - i have only unboxed 3 of 6 encounters - savoring the goodness/busy as hell ;)
Isn't it possible to do it like this, using only straight passages and no corners?
Walls.jpg
Walls.jpg (84.61 KiB) Viewed 779 times

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 am

Some of the sets will come with corner pillars.
I think there ares two styles... serpent and gargoyle.
Perhaps that can fill your gap?