Bit Disapointed

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Bit Disapointed

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:32 am

Most of those look like the remastered KSI, not the new vaulted KSV. Not sure if there is a difference between a vaulted L wall and the remastered L wall.

Anyone have pics to show?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:19 am

This link shows KS1 and KS5 tiles right next to each other, it might be useful.

https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... =53&t=9171

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:09 am

Hello Arbados

When you say floor do you mean plain 2x2 floor tiles, 2x2 tile with wall, 2x2 corner wall tile or all of them?

I do know that way back before KS5 started the teaser pics showed a smoother floor to my eyes in some pics

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:02 am

OK, did a bit of testing with all the useful suggestions here. It seems with the painting steps suggested you can pretty much get almost an identical look to the walls. I only did a couple of wall pieces and I'm sure if I did a few more they would almost be a perfect match. I'm satisfied with the wall match!

Unfortunately, the only issue is the floor. I think it will be very, very difficult to match the look as there is just simply not enough detail compared to the KS1 tiles to get a similar look. I'm still going to try and match these to the KS1 floor tile look as best as possible even though these new pieces have far less detail on the floor. Anyone haver any suggestions on how to get some better detail on the floors to better match? I'm thinking maybe an ink wash?

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:13 am

I'm still curious to see if anyone has any factory painted tiles from this KS that they can compare to the first?

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:11 am

Vegomatic wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:33 pm
If you are trying to match factory paint there are issues with that. The pokorny paints are excellent acrylics. The factory paints are enamels. There are slight differences in the color. There are several threads, some recent, on the topic... try this one as a starting point. http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewt ... 7&p=132679
I'm going to try that! Thanks. I hope it comes close! I'll let you all know when I try it later tonight I hope.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:10 am

I just got done painting my first set of basic 2x2 floors (36 of them) and didn't really notice a problem. They took both the gray wetbrush and drybrushing just fine and had multiple levels of texture. A few of my side stones were a bit flat, but I have zero complaints. If anything I felt they were easier to paint than the dungeon doors and stairs I got from KS1 as painting practice.

I do notice some shiny on my pieces, and the trap false floors are distinctly less shiny than the regular floors. But I didn't feel the detail was lacking. I'm not a big KS1 owner, so maybe I'm missing something, or mine might be different than yours (different batch?)

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:33 pm

If you are trying to match factory paint there are issues with that. The pokorny paints are excellent acrylics. The factory paints are enamels. There are slight differences in the color. There are several threads, some recent, on the topic... try this one as a starting point. http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewt ... 7&p=132679

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm going to have to try and play around with the paint scheme a bit to see if I can get the detail and color I'm looking for (to match KS1 in particular).
Kryzsko wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:26 pm
Some of the floor squares are smoother and less textured. There are a few places on the unpainted ones that are almost melted looking and shiny.
That's exactly it. They're rather shiny and almost have a slightly melted appearance as you outlined. Putting the KS1 pieces next to these you can see the difference in detail on the floor. What about people that have received painted sets? Do they match really well?

Thanks

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:26 pm

I am not disappointed but I can see what he is talking about. Some of the floor squares are smoother and less textured. There are a few places on the unpainted ones that are almost melted looking and shiny.

I have not seen any floors that have no texture so I still think they will dry brush just fine. I think once the pieces are dry brushed with stone edge they will look just as good as KS1 floors.