GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Updated thoughts on Encounters 1, 3 and 6

Post by GardenDM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:48 pm

Law wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:30 pm
<snip>

Third - speaking of that- LOVE the LED outlets. Yes, the green orbs are too bright. But the torches are fantastic - and being able to swap in glowing runes or eldritch tiles or hands holding glowing gems - it's just super fun to change the atmosphere of a space with these. Initially I thought I'd only ever use the torches, but creating different locales through different illumination is awesome.
</snip>
Welcome to team LED. You're going to like it here! :D

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Updated thoughts on Encounters 1, 3 and 6

Post by Law » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:30 pm

So I had the weekend to toy around with these, and I wanted to add some thoughts to my earlier impressions.

First off, I will note that some of the issues that were giving me pause turned out to be way less significant than I feared. The paint job could be better, but you notice it less once it's all put together and lit up. The issues with the terrain tray overhang did not interfere with anything I wanted to do with it. Where passage walls left gaps, there were ways to accommodate - don't bunch up the walls super tight and leave a 1/4" gap, instead leave barely detectable gaps all along the 12" wall and nothing stands out, etc. In general, the only functional issue that remained is that the brightness of the green LEDs still caused me to mostly leave them out. But even that's fixable - just limit your use of them to one or two instead of allowing them to proliferate the way you do with torches.

Second - departing from the prebuilt plans is really fun and shows off the versatility of the new designs. The curved walls can be used in so many ways, and using KS2 ledges with the acid terrain tray was super addictive. There are so many ways to incorporate this stuff - nice to see that the modularity and versatility of DF dungeon pieces carries through to these new approaches.

Third - speaking of that- LOVE the LED outlets. Yes, the green orbs are too bright. But the torches are fantastic - and being able to swap in glowing runes or eldritch tiles or hands holding glowing gems - it's just super fun to change the atmosphere of a space with these. Initially I thought I'd only ever use the torches, but creating different locales through different illumination is awesome.

Finally - it's nice to see how much DF has exploited the potential of Dwarvenite. I have to admit, I wasn't impressed with KS1. I had a ton of resin DF dungeon elements and the Game Tiles were not a replacement in my mind. I backed out of loyalty for a moderate amount, then mostly left them alone. The material wasn't as detailed as the resin sets, and we didn't have all the cool architectural flourishes - the spiral stairs, the mermaid fountain, the demon archway. It just felt bland. I let my kids play with them. But I wasn't excited about the Kickstarters until the city set showed up.

Now - now my Dwarvenite dungeons surpass my resin ones. The types of pieces I have available, the illumination, the magnetic accessories. I still love the resin pieces and what I can do with them, but the DoD has shifted the landscape. The resin sets are now novelties, useful for a single encounter, a cool single space - but a full dungeon, it's just more tempting to do in Dwarvenite with DoD elements.