A place to discuss the wonder of it all!

ced1106
Orc
Orc

Re: A place to discuss the wonder of it all!

Post by ced1106 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:39 am

whyteshark wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:17 am
I have to be honest. I find this KS very 'yawn' and over-priced.
Definitely not yawn :D but out of my budget range. Which is fine, since several less expensive second-tier dungeon tile sets have come out and it's better to lead, than fight for second or third place. I liked the simplicity of the first pieces of KS1. It meant that I didn't have to dig around in my collection for a piece that fit. I could just grab a bunch of pieces and they'd be close enough to what I want. If I wanted to gussy things up, I'd pick out a piece from my terrain set. With Zombicide and Dwarven Forge out of the way, I'll have funds for Reaper, Doomtown, and possibly Manor House. I like the distinctive styles of Maki and Manor House, though DF's style is more "bread and butter" for me.

I do hear that the basic dungeon tile sets will be available, so I'm not sure if I'm done yet. :mrgreen:

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:19 am

arsthein wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:22 am
Then if I want the iron bar walls of the menagerie I have to swallow a lot of basic KS1 pieces?
It should be noted that you are not really getting KS1 pieces. You are getting all new sculpts in the classic dungeon style. Now I can not tell yet whether that will mean anything to you or me but if they are made in the classic dungeon style but are a little different then KS1 tiles it gives me a variety of sculpts to make my KS1 dungeon walls and floors not look so copy and paste.

Hopefully Nate and Stefan can show us if they add variety. If not, I do feel it was a wasted opportunity.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:15 am

I was up 45 minutes after this opened, but the hour in the morning I had before work was when I really started to understand this. It is not simple and I am unsure if I like or dislike the encounter sets, but I LOVE that basic pieces are available on day one.

The promise of add-ons being released every day is also very exciting.

The low shipping per add-on is most exciting. 5-8 bucks is so much better than 5-30, though I am sure some big add-ons will be more. Last time getting 10 cube spacers for 30 bucks shipping really burned me.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:27 am

Think they should over add-ons especially for the backers that went all in at KS1 and don´t Need the classic Floor and Corner pieces ... only time will tell ....

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:22 am

Sob.

I hate to say it but I'm in what seems to be the overall bandwagon of this thread so far. As someone said, I went from super excited to depress. I don't like this format at all. Rarely I get so off-put. Right now, there's no way to get the cool stuff without getting a ridiculously humongous amount of stuff that I don't need/want.

Even the basic walls and floors add-ons seem very poorly balanced. What the hell has to do a treasure hoard (another!) in a basic walls set? given the little amount of walls (and so many corners) that there are on each you need to get several, and 1 treasure hoard on each seems ridiculous to me. Then... more basic floors in a walls add-on? I have a ton already!

Then if I want the iron bar walls of the menagerie I have to swallow a lot of basic KS1 pieces?

And so on, and so on...

I'm sadly out for the time being waiting for add-ons composed by just the cool new stuff. Like the platforms though, just not what I was expecting to spent my money on.

And to have said good bye to any SG soo soon is sad too. Fingers crossed for some re-tooling of the pledge structure and more focused add-ons.

Greetings,

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:40 am

Thanks bernyleung and kitenerd

I think a lot of it was that I was expecting to see the KS2 model of basic pledges and add-ons for exotic items.

The main pledge levels for this KS IMO are a mixture of basic and awesome so that each room can give you something like a room out of a good old fashion module and that is cool just not what I was expecting in my ten minutes this morning.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:39 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:03 am
I only had 10 minutes to pledge this morning before going to work for the whole day. I figured I would pledge for five sets, after a quick look I gave up and pledged $1 dollar and left for work. Even after coming home I have no idea what I want. For the first time I may just sit at $1 for the rest of the KS.

I love love love the look of it all but some how this format makes the costs seam even more expensive than the castles KS.

I went from super excited to depresses.
Don't rush your pledge. You've got three weeks to digest what's going on. Check every day to see what new add-ons and stretch goals have been reached. You don't have to pledge for the Dungeon Levels or any of the individual Encounter Rooms. You only miss out on the automatic stretch goals if you go with all add-ons. And even most of the stretch goals will be available as add-on purchase eventually.

In my unsolicited opinion, a "five set pledge" would have been somewhere between Dungeon Level III and Dungeon Level IV in regard to total base cost and estimated piece count. You save about 5-7% in the pre-configured bundles compared to buying each one separately. However, this option might not give you as much modularity as you'd want, so check out the basic add-on bundles which are just small collections of walls, floors, and corners at (very) low base price, and look for future add-ons with small numbers of unique pieces that pique your interest.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 am

I love the encounter room format. Pick and choose lets me get what i REALLY want. Fantastic.

A lot has been said about value and versatility and "the good old days of KS 1" - while $$$ wise those days aren't coming back, as an entry point pledge - take a look at Zaltar's Game Room plus Deadly Corners. (roughly $100 more than 2 sets of KS 1) Not quite as many floors as 2 sets of KS 1, but WAY more options and versatility with double doors, corner doors, archways etc. A lot more creative potential here. I can't imagine that anyone with a choice between the two would choose the more generic option.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:07 am

I really love the 8" round room, the corner door, elevations (arch/block/pillar + expensive/clever platform-box), Classic Walls with LEDs or magnets, large double doors, odd-shaped basic floors, ledges, and bridge. Depending on how things shake out, those are what I might buy as add-ons instead of encounters. It would be cool to have all this minus the large platforms for around $300-400.

The cool stuff that I want but is more specialized so that I might wait on it include: cages, large curved stairs, fancy floors + short steps, LED alcove, metal trays, and puzzle floors.

I'd want enough new pillar design basic pieces to make a couple rooms at some point too, which will happen if I get a few encounters.

Overall I really like lots of the ideas. There is a ton here to digest. I wish more of it was plain to fit with the KS1 styling, but the choices make sense and there are plenty of useful pieces.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:03 am

blinky wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:41 am
Well KS5 is not quite the assumed format, there goes my three set estimate. After looking at it for a bit, I have no idea what I get.
I understand DF wanting to make things more exciting but I really thought we would get the good old 2, 3, 5, 10 set options and tons of add-ons.

I only had 10 minutes to pledge this morning before going to work for the whole day. I figured I would pledge for five sets, after a quick look I gave up and pledged $1 dollar and left for work. Even after coming home I have no idea what I want. For the first time I may just sit at $1 for the rest of the KS.

I love love love the look of it all but some how this format makes the costs seam even more expensive than the castles KS.

I went from super excited to depressed.

Warning before anyone thinks I have become a DF hater, I have not DF is still awesome I just wish KS5 really was simple.
Last edited by kodiakbear on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”