Pre-KS6 Miniature Agitation Thread. I'm Not Kidding.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Pre-KS6 Miniature Agitation Thread. I'm Not Kidding.

Post by Arcarius2001 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:31 am

I have a case of assorted metal peasantry from various companies. Mostly unpainted, to my shame. I am a decent painter, but slow. It takes an hour or two to paint one to my satsfaction for use on the table. So, yes!! Until I can find the time to actually paint my collection, having prepainted minis certainly is something I can use. Plus, I like that Dwarven Forge is truly 25mm, none of the giant scale creep that abounds now. (Never you mind that 7 foot bar wench, she just has big bones! I'm looking at you, Reaper). If Stefan will set up a Kickstarter for this, he definitely has my backing.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 pm

Let's keep this thread going, folks. The more interest we show, the more DF will actually consider it. Just be prepared to back up your wishes with future $.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 pm

+1!

But just in case (or as reference)...
http://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic ... =dead+guys
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm in! Want!!!

I want dead guys laying around the battlefield.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:24 am

bernyleung wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:50 pm
Right, which is why I suggested (if required) fewer sculpts but more alternate paint schemes.
Yeah, whatever you do with the poses, not making a couple of alternate paints I think it's a waste.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:20 am

jackattack wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:33 pm
Some commoners' occupations lend themselves to using the same figure for working and fighting variants. A person with a hammer raised high in one hand and the other reaching forward might be attacking a foe, or driving a nail. A person swinging an axe might be chopping down a tree (horizontal swing) or splitting a log (vertical swing), or attacking a monster.
Ok now that's freakin' genious dude.

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Post by DWChancellor » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Alternate paint schemes are nice. Stefan does seem to really really want to do a lot of poses/figures. Curious where the pricing would end up. Every piece I thought would be silly turns out fantastic, if very situational, with DF.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:50 pm

jackattack wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:33 pm
Every miniature that can represent more than one commoner profession, represent more than one situation, or stand in as a variant for more than one other figure is one (or more) less steel mold that has to be made.
Right, which is why I suggested (if required) fewer sculpts but more alternate paint schemes.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:33 pm

I like the idea of young/old, male/female variants, but I'm probably more interested in working/fighting/fleeing variants.

However, with some forethought and planning, some minis can satisfy more than one variant, or serve as a variant for more than one other mini.

Some commoners' occupations lend themselves to using the same figure for working and fighting variants. A person with a hammer raised high in one hand and the other reaching forward might be attacking a foe, or driving a nail. A person swinging an axe might be chopping down a tree (horizontal swing) or splitting a log (vertical swing), or attacking a monster.

If some figures in working/fighting poses are designed/sculpted with sufficient similarities (build, clothes, facial features and hair), then a single fleeing figure will serve as a variant for all of those figures. The key here is to use handheld props to distinguish the role or profession of the working/fighting figure, and to assume that they literally drop everything to run away.

Which makes me think that part of the planning stage ought to focus less on letting the role define the figure, and letting the figure define as many roles as possible.

Every miniature that can represent more than one commoner profession, represent more than one situation, or stand in as a variant for more than one other figure is one (or more) less steel mold that has to be made.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Post by DWChancellor » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:11 pm

I would very much enjoy a separate mid-year miniatures kickstarter. Miniatures are often cut from my budget on the terrain kickstarters. The DF miniatures are extremely flavorful, uniquely posed, and fit niches that are often lacking. Going baseless for a lot of poses really really adds dynamic possibilities.

But mostly I want more commoners and "team" sculpts (like a dozen guards in matching livery but each unique).
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria