Pre-KS6 Miniature Agitation Thread. I'm Not Kidding.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Pre-KS6 Miniature Agitation Thread. I'm Not Kidding.

Post by lostpict » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:08 pm

I would also love to see a set of Dwarven workers in the same style as KSIII - blacksmiths, armourers
miners, jewelsmiths, wheelwrights, teamsters, cooks, servers, mushroom farmers, Lamplighters, alewuves, publicans, tarts, musicians, etc in male /female & young / old variants.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:04 pm

I'd buy prepainted dwarvenite.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:30 am

I just feel a bit silly if I go to the trouble of making a townscape with DF minis, and the PCs are going to various shops, and they always meet what looks like a fighter in full plate mail that could trounce them single-handedly, or a seductively dressed sorcerer with power shooting out her hands, or a cleric brandishing a huge holy symbol calling down the power of the gods, when all I really wanted was just a frickin' salesperson with a couple of shop gophers.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:27 am

As many have mentioned, not only is there a general lack of commoner minis, but also a general lack of commoner minis in real-world action poses. They are usually standing straight up just staring into space. "Slack-jawed yokels."

How about a group of farmers actually tilling the soil, scattering seed, or harvesting? A scribe actually reading a book or copying a manuscript? A bunch of children actually chasing each other around, with a dog or a duck or a pig thrown into the picture? A peddler and a customer arguing with each other? A smithy with someone casting, someone forging, someone working the bellows? The possibilities are endless.

But if it's a greater market for the standing and staring type, then you could do that, too.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:22 am

Wow. A mid-year figures/props kickstarter would be great.

Is a plastic casting an option for "detailed" minis? If the sculptors avoid the kind of long and/or skinny bits that are most prone to warping and breaking?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:24 am

I would be in on this if there was an unpainted metal option...

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 am

Stefan, I would love a minis KS. I prefer metal miniatures over all others if I am painting them.

I would love a set of minis for a medieval fantasy market / faire setting. I am a fan of minis that come in multiple poses - riding, sitting, and foot.
Last edited by lostpict on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:39 am

bernyleung wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:12 pm
(Viewer discretion advised. This is like almost rank-like.)

Hello. My forum name is bernyleung, and I am a DF-holic.
I knew I hit rock bottom when I pledged $4.4K during KS4 during the campaign and the pre-sale. I remember it started so innocently two years before when I saw a Craigslist ad from Oregon where someone said they were unloading their entire KS1 collection at rock-bottom prices. And so my slow descent began.

Now I find myself looking beyond even this current KS5, which is not even halfway through yet and with stuff yet to be revealed, and am already thinking of what the possibilities of KS6 will be. Stefan said "smorgasbord" in the livestream. No word ever sounded so sweet, yet full of dread, as this word. Truly, something for everyone can be possible.

And that something for everyone is...PAINTED DWARVENITE MINIATURES. But in a scale not matched before. Beyond a cadre of town guards. Beyond an expansionist tribe of lizardfolk. Beyond, dare I say, a two-headed crocodile eating a winged goat while hanging from a screaming gargoyle above an LED fountain. Yes, I am talking about HORDES OF COMMONERS!

Too long, friends, have pictures of dioramas been filled with beasts both large and fantastical. Too much have the plague of gallant fighters, thrice-deadly rogues, vessels of divine power and extravagantly dressed arcanists drawn your eye. Too long have the streets, plazas, dungeons, roads, and fields been filled with these foul representations of fantasy, power, and epic destiny. We shall suffer this oppression of the high and mighty no longer. It is time for the NORMAL, the BANAL, and the OVERLOOKED. All in living colour.

Seriously, there is a market niche which nobody seems to be intent on filling, which is needed, and I'm talking about non-heroic prepainted miniatures of regular folks the would populate a fantasy world. Men. Women. Tons and tons of kids. Rich and poor, smart and dumb, young and old. Farmers and craftspeople, bakers and bankers, barmaids and beekeepers, couriers and labourers, musicians and criers, the proletariat and the bourgeousie. Enough people to populate your fields, your village, your towns, your cities, your castles. People to lock up in your dungeons, mine those caverns, clean those sewers, sweep the streets, apply copious amounts of moss to your battlements, and somehow light those torches 40 feet above the ground on your watchtower. People to paint those flags, polish those gargoyles, and riot over the lack of privies and outhouses. In short, THE PEOPLE OF VALORIA!

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please consider dedicated a handful of artists to sculpt the populace of our shared nation. You already have a good start with your townfolk selection, but that is only a few sculpts. We need 40, 50 or more sculpts that can be done in 2-3 different colour schemes for clothing AND flesh, and available in packs of a dozen or more. It is with much hope that DF can do this at a reasonable package price point that will still be profitable.

I know there are naysayers who will point out that other people do commoner-type miniatures, but they are very few. And they do not have the durability of Dwarvenite. And never come with a painted option. So, for Zaltar's sake, I most humbly beg upon my knee that this concept may be fully realized very soon. Average DF store price of painted person mini is $3.50 to $4.00 per piece. A price I would gladly pay for 100 or more of good, old-fashioned rabble.

I encourage anybody who thinks this is a good idea to reply with a one-line-or-more response. This way, the Dwarves of the Forge of Bushwick may hear and see our pleas, and mayhap answer in the positive.
I totally subscribe to the wishes of the fellow Valorian here. Yes, there are other mini lines, but it's difficult to get them in troves, painted, and in the quality such as the Dwarven Forge minis. Don't understimate DF as a prepainted mini dealer!!!

Except for KS4 (I didn't need more kobolds and had enough soldiers with the city guard and others), I end up spending in KS kickstarters miniatures more than I would like to aknowledge. In KS3 I spent almost half my pledge in minis (and Stefan's Book), and even so I was kind of bitter that there was no way I could get the exclusive surprise package of minis (since I only took sewers and some add-ons).

I would love exactly what berny said, and all the mundane accesories Stefan can come up with.

AND! I'll add: minis that nobody does, such as semi-submerged and Burrowint-out minis, like sea serpents, otyughs (coming out of the water), Sharks and Crocodiles, land-sharks, etc.

Greetings!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:09 am

Maybe broken down to 5 sets of ten each or ten sets of 5 each :?:. With different theme, setting or positions. I like townsfolk, but what I want most of all are sitting or kneeling minis without bases of affixed chairs for church or arena audience patrons cheering or praying or drinking in a pub. I would even like different races in these settings, even orcs, goblins, skellys or lizardmen cheering with weapons in hand or in sheaths. I would actually prefer metal unpainted, but hefty enough they sit up firmly. Another type without bases I would like are sleeping and prone injured minis, even some crawling injured with legs dragging or jailed sitting on floor against walls or bars. I don't think I have ever seen an adventurer laying on side looking at a book or map....You get the gist. NOT based minis in typical fighting stances, those are a dime a dozen (not really these days), but you know. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

bmcdaniel
Kobold
Kobold

Post by bmcdaniel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:48 am

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:50 am
Interesting....what would you think about a small KS between the two Terrain kickstarters that was ONLY miniatures? 50 figures or so...
+1 to this idea. Especially if the KS was town miniatures, town dressing and dungeon dressing. From other sources, I have more than enough monsters (and I suspect that others do also).

Also, don't underestimate the value of dwarvenite. Metal miniatures/dressing are almost useless because they are too fragile to transport or even store. Resin or 3d printed plastic is slightly better, but dwarvenite is the gold standard. I can throw it in a box and forget about it.