Pre-KS6 Miniature Agitation Thread. I'm Not Kidding.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Pre-KS6 Miniature Agitation Thread. I'm Not Kidding.

Post by unclebilly » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:23 pm

+1 for commoners

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:19 pm

pacarat wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 pm
Lots of sources out there for metal and plastic peasants, villagers, ruffians, bandits, farmers, townsfolk, etc. I have close to 300, with no duplicates. Most in the $1.50-$3.00 range.
I know, I know. But how many are pre-painted? Almost none. How many have the durability of Dwarvenite? Almost none. How many of them are available from a single source? Very few. This is my point. DF can do it and probably do it better than anyone else.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:15 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:49 pm
Berny - your doctor just called, he wants to adjust your meds...
I'm a clinical pharmacist. I can adjust my own damn medication. But I still need Dwarvenite commoners.

GrumpyOne
Orc
Orc

Post by GrumpyOne » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:16 pm

I had this whole thing written out of why I would vote against this...but Berny helped me out recently so I will stay silent....
"Initial success or total failure"

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Lots of sources out there for metal and plastic peasants, villagers, ruffians, bandits, farmers, townsfolk, etc. I have close to 300, with no duplicates. Most in the $1.50-$3.00 range.

Plenty of humans, dwarves, and halflings on hand so far. Not a whole lot in the orc/goblin or elf arena, which is too bad.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:30 pm

As I posted elsewhere, I want a peasant mob with torches, pitchforks, pick axes, shovels, and other improvised weaponry...

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Berny - your doctor just called, he wants to adjust your meds...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Yes, lots of commoners, but stick to one scale. The DF minis from KS3 & KS4 range all over the place wrt common figure scales. It is time for the dreaded Ruler of Doom.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Pre-KS6 Miniature Agitation Thread. I'm Not Kidding.

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:12 pm

(Viewer discretion advised. This is like almost rank-like.)

Hello. My forum name is bernyleung, and I am a DF-holic.
I knew I hit rock bottom when I pledged $4.4K during KS4 during the campaign and the pre-sale. I remember it started so innocently two years before when I saw a Craigslist ad from Oregon where someone said they were unloading their entire KS1 collection at rock-bottom prices. And so my slow descent began.

Now I find myself looking beyond even this current KS5, which is not even halfway through yet and with stuff yet to be revealed, and am already thinking of what the possibilities of KS6 will be. Stefan said "smorgasbord" in the livestream. No word ever sounded so sweet, yet full of dread, as this word. Truly, something for everyone can be possible.

And that something for everyone is...PAINTED DWARVENITE MINIATURES. But in a scale not matched before. Beyond a cadre of town guards. Beyond an expansionist tribe of lizardfolk. Beyond, dare I say, a two-headed crocodile eating a winged goat while hanging from a screaming gargoyle above an LED fountain. Yes, I am talking about HORDES OF COMMONERS!

Too long, friends, have pictures of dioramas been filled with beasts both large and fantastical. Too much have the plague of gallant fighters, thrice-deadly rogues, vessels of divine power and extravagantly dressed arcanists drawn your eye. Too long have the streets, plazas, dungeons, roads, and fields been filled with these foul representations of fantasy, power, and epic destiny. We shall suffer this oppression of the high and mighty no longer. It is time for the NORMAL, the BANAL, and the OVERLOOKED. All in living colour.

Seriously, there is a market niche which nobody seems to be intent on filling, which is needed, and I'm talking about non-heroic prepainted miniatures of regular folks the would populate a fantasy world. Men. Women. Tons and tons of kids. Rich and poor, smart and dumb, young and old. Farmers and craftspeople, bakers and bankers, barmaids and beekeepers, couriers and labourers, musicians and criers, the proletariat and the bourgeousie. Enough people to populate your fields, your village, your towns, your cities, your castles. People to lock up in your dungeons, mine those caverns, clean those sewers, sweep the streets, apply copious amounts of moss to your battlements, and somehow light those torches 40 feet above the ground on your watchtower. People to paint those flags, polish those gargoyles, and riot over the lack of privies and outhouses. In short, THE PEOPLE OF VALORIA!

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please consider dedicated a handful of artists to sculpt the populace of our shared nation. You already have a good start with your townfolk selection, but that is only a few sculpts. We need 40, 50 or more sculpts that can be done in 2-3 different colour schemes for clothing AND flesh, and available in packs of a dozen or more. It is with much hope that DF can do this at a reasonable package price point that will still be profitable.

I know there are naysayers who will point out that other people do commoner-type miniatures, but they are very few. And they do not have the durability of Dwarvenite. And never come with a painted option. So, for Zaltar's sake, I most humbly beg upon my knee that this concept may be fully realized very soon. Average DF store price of painted person mini is $3.50 to $4.00 per piece. A price I would gladly pay for 100 or more of good, old-fashioned rabble.

I encourage anybody who thinks this is a good idea to reply with a one-line-or-more response. This way, the Dwarves of the Forge of Bushwick may hear and see our pleas, and mayhap answer in the positive.