What Can We Improve for KS6?

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Re: What Can We Improve for KS6?

Post by Smogma » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:37 pm

I purchased only add-ons this time around. Most were really great, composition wise.
When I'm considering add-ons, what I want is small digestible packs like 'Cages', 'Classic LED Walls', 'Ancient Pillars', the Dais packs, etc. Smaller packs like these may be as close to purchasing individual pieces as we will get. Someone else mentioned it, but I would recommend focusing on smaller packs. Remember: as a customer, I can always buy two packs of "8x Elevation Blocks" but I can't buy half-a-pack of "16x Elevation Blocks". If the pack is too big/expensive - I may pass up on it, and you've lost a sale. That is lose-lose.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:32 pm

I thought that was the burro burrow?
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Only three square feet? What is this, a dungeon made for ANTS!?!

Oh right, we do have a dungeon made for ants now, actually. Carry on.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Ummm yeah, somehow I added a zero. Doh!

I thought it seemed odd, though in fairness you could do a 200 inch long corridor! :P

Also, this is why I majored in history. lol

Anyway, fixing the math, I think the point still holds wherein I can see where the long time backers were not crazy about getting more walls and floors for one or two unique pieces.

szabbran
Goblin
Goblin

Post by szabbran » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:51 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 pm
i worry that others will make the same cuts and DF will see terrain trays as a fiscsl failure. Which would be a shame cause i still want thrm. I just want epic stairs more!
This is a really good point, and something I hadn't considered before. Knowing that DF has a limited ability to stock things (and especially re-stock things) between KSs, it could be easy for some items to fall off completely not because it's not a great product, but because we're forced to choose between LOTS of great products. But if something doesn't get prioritized during the initial order, it may be much harder to get a hold of in the future.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Hmmm. Suggest more coffee... ;)

100 2x2 tiles gives one a 10 tile x 10 tile area, which is 20" x 20" which is 400 square inches, which a little under three square feet.

evandariel
Goblin
Goblin

Post by evandariel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Lack of maths :)

I have about 350 KS1 floor coverage and it's enough for about 3.1ft square, roughly 19x19 tiles? Remember 19 long by 19 rows is 19x19 or almost 400 tiles. Of course that's only using floors, not counting 2x2 walls or corners etc.
These people are good people here....except jason.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:25 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:33 am
After asking what they can do to improve for their next KS it must be strange for DF to have their most successful dollar wise KS and third most successful KS by number of backers bringing out such anger and frustration.
Well, one thing to consider is that there were almost 3,000 backers. This thread; on the other hand, has had what, maybe two dozen unique posters? Just a guess, haven't actually counted.

On top of that, most of the posters here are returning customers, not new customers (though there are some of us newbies here). Taking a moment to put my personal perspective aside, and to look at things through the eyes of the returning backer, I am starting to see some of the frustration. Lets say that you already had 100 2x2 floors, which I'm guessing is not an outrageous number for a lot of people here. Those 100 floor pieces give you 400 square inches of coverage which will cover a good portion of most gaming tables (not completely mind you, but good coverage still). Now lets say that you really liked the Doomroller boulder. In order to get that (especially initially at launch of KS) you had to buy the Doomroller encounter for roughly $140 and get an additional 30 2x2 floors. Now its true, they did eventually release the trap pack that had a regular boulder, but that one definitely looks a LOT different than Doomroller.

I think that this frustration might have been tempered (and may still in the future) if there was an expectation that eventually you could affordably purchase Doomroller (the boulder, not the encounter) in the webstore, but there haven't been any assurances to that end. We know that the plan is to make most of the encounters available for purchase, and its presumed that you'll be able to get, say, vaulted wall packs, but will we be able to get just a pack with Ramp and Doomroller?

So yeah, taking a look from a different perspective, I do see the issue a little better. This becomes doubly frustrating if you had decided to go the BYOD route because you felt you did not need all those floors and walls, but are still finding hundreds or thousands of dollars to spend, but now are getting locked out of stretch goals (which while the SGs were more minor (in my personal opinion) still is a bit of a letdown).

As for the SGs themselves, I guess I didn't necessarily feel as though they were integral to the actual encounters by and large. I mean sure, its clear that they were planned as part of the encounter from the start, but the encounters still "work" without most of the stretch goals. Puzzle Floors doesn't need the puzzle pole to function. Deadly Corners didn't need the Sword. Arcane Alcoves didn't need walls of force or blade traps to "work" as an encounter area. However, I do concede that DF clearly had these elements in mind from the get go.

Edited because math is hard without coffee apparently. Thanks for catching it guys!
Last edited by Gargs454 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 pm

The issue of scope is as much for DF as it is for the consumer. At one point my pledge had 7 terrain trays in it, in the end i will get the one that is in Acid Bath and no magnets. Something had to go and there were a lot of things ( jade, ossuaries, daises) that were a lot more exciting than trays and magnets.

As hellay just admitted had there been less diversity he would have spent the same and got more of other themes

i worry that others will make the same cuts and DF will see terrain trays as a fiscsl failure. Which would be a shame cause i still want thrm. I just want epic stairs more!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 pm

I agree that this thread got depressing quick. This was an awesome KS. I am deciding between my planned pledge and 2x my plan (which is almost 3x the pieces). No matter what i decide i get a TON of awesome. Yes there us room for improvement, but it was damn cool!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939