Feelings on the Dungeon Bridge?

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Feelings on the Dungeon Bridge?

Post by jackattack » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 pm

I’m in for four of them. Two will remain factory standard, one will be repainted so the flagstones are different kinds of stone, and one will be repainted so the flagstones have a full color spectrum blended sheen. I might pick up an extension add-on when they are available retail, just to make longer spans on the standard bridges.

From a materials standpoint the price isn’t actually that high. The base is equivalent to six floors, and pedestal is equivalent to four floors, so a bridge add-on is equivalent to sixteen floor pieces. That’s $2.75 per for unpainted, $3.88 per for painted.

dice4hire is right about the bridge making a good focal point for an encounter, or a large city build. Put two bridges side-by-side for a major city. Put some distance between them to complicate a seige. Put them in line (with an island connector) to create a long gauntlet to run. Put four bases around an elevation cube for a really big, fancy pedestal. Use bridge bases to access elevation platforms without climbing rolls.

I will say I’m not sanguine about adding metal and pinholes to make them compatible with castle bridges, but hopefully the modification won’t be too glaring in actual use.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm getting four bridges plus a couple of the extensions, so yeah guess I'm a fan.

Will be doing negative terrain layouts, and a variety of waterways.

And prices will only end up higher...

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 pm

I passed because I already have a number of bridges.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 am

I think DF said that piece would see a large jump in price retail. That and double doors as I recall.

I like the bridge for aesthetics for sure, but I think it is a nice piece to build a city around, plus the RPG encounter happening there, of course. 4 inches is really wide.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Feelings on the Dungeon Bridge?

Post by zenmaster » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:44 am

I am debating the merits of the Dungeon Bridge. I am getting just about all the other new functional pieces in encounters or add-on packs, but the Dungeon Bridge stands out as one I am passing on.

Its price seems extremely high for what you are getting. I know it is a big complicated piece to produce and am not complaining about the pricing, just saying it is making the decision to get it tougher with all the other choices in this campaign.

My original feeling was to pass on it, given I have all the bridge pieces from the previous campaigns and plenty of alternative options by just using things like elevation blocks even.

Is anyone especially excited about the Dungeon Bridge? Is it for the aesthetic aspect only or is there another compelling reason to pick it up? Just curious what others are thinking.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.