Minotaur

Re: Inexpensive Terrain Tray Overlays

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:45 am

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 pm
William wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:53 am
I don't get the "one week challenge"?
The one week challenge was to paint the Mal'Drakar mini (which is absolutely huge) in one week with only a size 0 brush. You could glue and fill cracks and such beforehand, but it is pretty insane. Several people did incredible jobs on the mini. Yes that little tiny thing at the bottom is a standard sized 28mm mini.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/1 ... 6b9b7ed168
Bunny in a Boiler! damn that's huge!

Just trying to finish my squad of Orks and then going to look at painting some Polar Bears or something less green.
I am the Game and I want to Play

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 pm

William wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:53 am
The one week challenge was to paint the Mal'Drakar mini (which is absolutely huge) in one week with only a size 0 brush. You could glue and fill cracks and such beforehand, but it is pretty insane. Several people did incredible jobs on the mini. Yes that little tiny thing at the bottom is a standard sized 28mm mini.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/1 ... 6b9b7ed168
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 pm

I love seeing professionally painted minis. After some of my own (failed) experimentation, I certainly have a greater appreciation for the time and effort involved. I can do a *passable* job, at least as good as most mass-produced pre-painted minis, but time is a real factor because I think I average about 3 hours per single 28mm figure. This is why I am very much looking forward to what DF can do with Dwarvenite minis full of common folk with alternate paint schemes so they seem a little less repetitive.

I wonder why Wizkids doesn't do their own line of regular Joe Schmoes for a fantasy world? I think the market would eat it up, if they did. But I'd still prefer that DF did it first (and better!).

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:47 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:27 pm
bernyleung wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:55 am
GODofwar wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 pm
Fast, cheap, no distortion - and no need for long cumbersome tape measures that some idiot will surely auto-retract, thus throwing the figure you spent 18 hours painting onto the floor.
Ooo! Palpable bitterness! Methinks this exact scenario has happened to you!
NO but it happened to a friend of mine playing on my table. I managed to avoid bloodshed!

Hi Berny...

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
This is why I'm not a fan of metal minis anymore. Or plaster-based terrain. After going to more durable materials, I just find it hard to go back to the white gloves, so to speak.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:27 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:55 am
GODofwar wrote:
Fast, cheap, no distortion - and no need for long cumbersome tape measures that some idiot will surely auto-retract, thus throwing the figure you spent 18 hours painting onto the floor.
NO but it happened to a friend of mine playing on my table. I managed to avoid bloodshed!

Hi Berny...

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:53 am

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:54 am
Only 18 hours? Amateur :lol:

This is said by someone who has never spent more than an hour or two on any mini.

But I do have a Mal to paint from Reaper. That is gonna take a lot mroe than two hours.

And no, I am not doing the one week challenge, thank you very much!!!!

But other than that, I was thinking of modifying/changing two of the horn types on the upper-right side head and the lowest head. Kind-of bugs me that the upper head and the one below to the left are "long-horns", but the rest have small similar horns. I'm thinking low sweepers down below and a ragged "black dragon" bent horn on the upper right, leaving the small horns on the head with the closed mouth. Other than that I am pretty happy with that piece. It does seem a little forward heavy, but then it's a magical beast, right?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 am

When you let your kids loose on your prized minis you soon become sanguine about collateral damage.
Or you never use your minis again in public.

It does not prevent the chastisement of the offender and the reminder of first rule of Bunny Mini Battle Club 'no mini on mini contact'
I am the Game and I want to Play

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:54 am

Only 18 hours? Amateur :lol:

This is said by someone who has never spent more than an hour or two on any mini.

But I do have a Mal to paint from Reaper. That is gonna take a lot mroe than two hours.

And no, I am not doing the one week challenge, thank you very much!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:55 am

GODofwar wrote:

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:42 pm

I used to play DBA and we used marked Dowels like you describe. I agree they are fast, easy and get rid of the distortion.

I had not considered using them in my D&D games because I usually use the DF terrain which has the built in grid. I might give this a try.

Thanks for suggesting it.

Peace