Inexpensive Terrain Tray Overlays

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Inexpensive Terrain Tray Overlays

Post by GODofwar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 pm

I hate grids. They distort movement (all D&D grids are squares).

Instead, I instituted small diameter wooden dowels, marked on with one-square tick marks (1" or 1cm, depending on whether we are running 25mm or 15mm figs). It is EASY to put the dowel over the fig then move it'. Everyone can see the move.

Fast, cheap, no distortion - and no need for long cumbersome tape measures that some idiot will surely auto-retract, thus throwing the figure you spent 18 hours painting onto the floor.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5.
[/
WeaselWarGod

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:08 am

Thunder wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 pm
I was more pointing out the GeoHex overlays - not the mats. I agree the mats are expensive.

As I mentioned in my original post you could get 9 - 12x12 grid overlays for $30. Dwarven Forge is 2 - 12x12 grid (and 2 x 8x4) overlays for $12.
The price you quoted does not include shipping: the 3x3 grid overlay is 29$ + 10$ shipping in the USA (much more for overseas).

39$ would get me 9 12x12 grid overlays, assuming I cut them myself nicely, from a company I have never heard of or ordered from.

If I really wanted a similar number of grid overlays, I could spend 36$ or 48$ and get 6-8 12x12 overlays and 6-8 8X4 overlays, already cut to fit my terrain trays and shipped my Dwarven Forge with the terrain trays I would use them with.

Sorry, but I do not see the value in that campaign's grid overlays at all for DF purposes.
Thunder wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 pm
The nice thing about the GeoHex overlays is you can put them over any existing maps or game cloth you currently have for only $70 USD (6'x4')

Peace
That KS campaign is obviously a good find for someone who wants this, though I don't know if there are any competing products/methods out there, since I don't need this.

Thanks for the heads up to people, though. Always good for people to be aware of products out there for different needs.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:20 am

Unfortunately, even a lone 6x4 grid mat with shipping to Canada comes to US$115 / C$145. Still too rich for my blood.

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Blast you Thunder, you are costing me money again! The 6x4 GEO mat overlay looks like just I need (it is ALWAYS a need, NEVER a want) to run the wilderness bits through the woods before we get to the serious DF underground stuff.

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 pm

I was more pointing out the GeoHex overlays - not the mats. I agree the mats are expensive.

As I mentioned in my original post you could get 9 - 12x12 grid overlays for $30. Dwarven Forge is 2 - 12x12 grid (and 2 x 8x4) overlays for $12.

The nice thing about the GeoHex overlays is you can put them over any existing maps or game cloth you currently have for only $70 USD (6'x4')

Peace

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:51 am

! will concur with Berny that these mats are not cheap, even if I wanted something like it... which leads to my second point:

I am not sure why these are seen as being good with this KS5 for most people.

My KS5 purchase is going to put my entire DF collection into the 5-figure cost zone.
I am buying this awesome 3D terrain so I DO NOT HAVE TO USE WHITEBOARD MARKERS ON A FLAT GRID MAP ANYMORE. :D

DF's campaign has clear grid overlay packs, enough to cover 4 terrain trays, for 12$ each.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 pm

I've been looking for something like this for quite a while. Unfortunately, I don't find this inexpensive at all. A single-sided 6x4 mat with overlay and shipping to Canada is almost US$200 (C$250+). There's an upcoming Kickstarter in the fall where I will be much happier pledging for.

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Inexpensive Terrain Tray Overlays

Post by Thunder » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:58 pm

These folks make nice mats and now have a really cool product for using any maps:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/81 ... escription

You could cut a 3x3 into 9 Terrain tray overlays for only $30.

Even if you don't cut one up, it seems like a good prop for using different maps underneath the Dwarven Forge tiles.

Peace

In case it matters - I have no affiliation with these folks or their Kickstarter.