GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Terrain Trays

Post by GODofwar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:41 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm
welcome to the forums trondkla!

terrain trays are super cool and definitely a game changer - i have a 4 story "house" right now that the kids are laying siege to - when i move it to the dinning room table the twins ferry parts back and forth and i reconstruct it- terrain trays would make that a much faster process

I'm stubborn.

I still see absolutely no use for these terrain trays.

We've been using 2' x 2.5 plywood plates for nigh on two years how. When they are full, they require two people to lift - but two can lift 'em easily. I have never had a serious accident with DwF pieces coming off (once or twice an edge piece has dropped off).

I think the terrain tray are expensive and unnecessary....

....UNLESS youwant to do the occasional upside-down set. For that maybe.

I can buy linoleum 12" x 12" for color - and I can get almost any color in the world cheap.

SOlly, cholly, no tiles for moi. I strongly suggest new users consider carefully before getting these. Try cheaper alternatives first.

Gonna continue to be contrarion on this one piece.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

DevGuy
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DevGuy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Good points geekjeff. Anything larger than 12” seems unwieldy for shipping, handling (kids carrying a 24x24 loaded up with Dwarvenite?) and storage. Notwithstanding texture repeat deficiency you can always use 4x 12” trays for the same result.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:27 pm

I can't wait to see what homebrew designs and textures people come up with for Terrain Trays, there are so many great ideas.

But if you're having sheet metal cut to purpose, please be SUPER CAREFUL about sharp edges. Careless handling of raw cut sheet metal can easily land you in the hospital. The factory finished terrain trays are designed with laminated and sealed edges, your homebrew ones will likely not.

As to the question of why nothing larger than 12x12 was offered - shipping is part of it for sure. Boxes larger than 12" square start to get REAL expensive to ship, and carriers are not always gentle. There is also the weight consideration, when these things are loaded up with Dwarvenite and rare earth magnets. 24x24" (4 square feet) of Dwarvenite weighs a significant amount and is in a damn unweildly to carry shape. That metal plate is going to bend in the middle unless it was made so thick you could barely carry it. I can't think of many things you couldn't just do with four 12x12s instead and have it easier to store and carry.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm

welcome to the forums trondkla!

terrain trays are super cool and definitely a game changer - i have a 4 story "house" right now that the kids are laying siege to - when i move it to the dinning room table the twins ferry parts back and forth and i reconstruct it- terrain trays would make that a much faster process
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

trondkla

Post by trondkla » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:02 am

I can’t wait to try them, I hope the magnets will make moving tiles much easier :)

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:00 pm

I would use spray on glue, and a swatch of black microvelvet over the top for "transportation" trays. They could be used for negative space as well. For water, lava, acid, etc. I'd probably just use paper and my printer. If I need it glossy, I'd laminate. Personally I need those 1" squares for gaming, and there are plenty of seamless textures out there for free that I can put my own grid over.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:40 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 pm
Just find something like those RPG tablecloths and cut and glue.
Great idea

or glue and cut.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:34 am
Those are really cheap. Wonder how hard it would be to coat them with something to make them look decent on the table.
Just find something like those RPG tablecloths and cut and glue. :) I'm sure some fabric stores might have something good too.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:34 am

Those are really cheap. Wonder how hard it would be to coat them with something to make them look decent on the table.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Pizzabagel wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 am
Has there been any talk about making a mega terrain tray 2’ x 2’? I brought it up on one of the other boards and the general response was that the shipping costs would likely be too high based on size.
Getting your own terrain trays cut at a local metal shop is going to be SO easy. If what you want it for is easy prebuilt sections of dungeon and don't care about the lava/water/stone (90% of what I care about is the metal for prebuilt with magnets), then it should be significantly cheaper to just get your own built locally.

I doubt that DF will ever do a 2ft x 2ft because of shipping problems. QUICK search shows Home Depot carries 12x24 galvanized 28ga sheets for $10. Lowes carried 24x36 galvanized sheets for $9. I contacted a few places local to me here in Utah and you'd be surprised at the dozens of misc sheets you can get cut for yourself for less than $100 (4x4, 4x6, 8x12, 4x12, 12x12, 12x16, 8x8, etc.